Deskjet 3510, Is there a way to change the scan %? (395 Views)
Tutor
ca18974
Message 1 of 4 (395 Views)

Deskjet 3510, Is there a way to change the scan %?

I just bought this printer today and have tried scanning only one thing with it, mainly to see what it would do... I don't see a way to change the scan % when I'm scanning to JPGs.

My previous all-in-one, a PSC 1315, had a lot more scan options than this one seems to. The only ones I was really interested in were the dpi and the scan % because I was using them for a large "family photo" scanning project. This new printer has the dpi settings but I'd like to have a way to scan at something more than 100%; some of these photos are really small and some are just so old that they need major editing, which is easier with a larger image. (I also have a bunch of slides to scan - I'm not sure how I'm going to manage those.)

Am I missing something here, or did I just buy the wrong printer? This one seems to be working fine otherwise so I'd hate to return it just for that, plus I'm not sure how I'd find a printer that *does* have an adjustable scan %. Would a different driver help, if I could find one?

FYI, I'm not sure if this makes a difference, but I'm running Windows XP Pro SP3, which is 32-bit (my computer will do 64 but I don't think XP does and I can't upgrade the OS because I have an older wireless modem).

Provost
banhien
Message 2 of 4 (387 Views)

Re: Deskjet 3510, Is there a way to change the scan %?

Hi,

I would do a research before going out to buy anything which may not meet my requirements:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printing-Issues-Troubleshooting/Deskjet-3510-Can-it-print-two-sided-pag...

Return the printer and buy a different one.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
Tutor
ca18974
Message 3 of 4 (363 Views)

First, to answer your suggestion: I *did* research printers before making this purchase; I checked specs and prices and read reviews for several different brands (HP and others). It never occurred to me that scan percentages might not still be included with the scan software; I thought this was a standard feature. But I'm not sure any amount of research would have helped with this question, and I'll explain why.

When I discovered the issue with the 3510 I tried more online research but I couldn't find what I wanted so I called HP's sales department. When I explained what I was looking for the sales rep suggested I look at Photosmarts because they were designed more for photos than just regular scanning (which is what the Deskjets do). He didn't tell me whether Photosmarts would have the enlarging capability I was looking for; I don't think he knew. He did keep talking about other things I should consider that had to do with photo printing, which I don't do, and something about vector images, which is is way beyond what I need; after a while I felt like I was getting more of an upsell than any useful information.

I went back online and started checking specs on the Photosmarts but once again, no scan percentages were given; it seems that HP doesn't think it's important to include that, just the DPIs (maybe they should reconsider that). With that lack of information plus the higher prices - the cheapest Photosmart was more than 40% more than my Deskjet and the cartridges would have cost more too - I decided to check other brands. But I couldn't find scan percentage info on any of those either and with the varying prices and reviews it seemed the best thing to do was keep the 3510.

I still have the PSC the Deskjet replaced and the scan function still works so I think I'll just use that until this project is finished. It's kind of a pain because I don't have room to connect both printers so I'll have to do some plugging and unplugging whenever I want to scan the photos. But once the project is finished the Deskjet should be fine for my usual needs, which are mainly paperwork like receipts and other forms, all of which can be scanned at 100%.

This isn't the ideal solution so I won't mark this thread "resolved" and since I came up with it myself I'm not giving any "kudos." But at least I have a working alternative. I just wanted to share this experience with anyone else here who may have a similar issue. If you really need a way to scan at different percentages maybe the best thing to do is forget about all-in-ones and buy a scanner.

Regents Professor
Travis_C
Message 4 of 4 (358 Views)

Hello ca18974

First of all to answer your question about being able to scan slides, you need a scanner that has built-in photo negative and slide scanning capabilities and is equipped with a TMA (Transparent Materials Adapter). According to the article below, HP doesn't carry TMA accessories for use with HP All-in-Ones and you would most likely be looking at the HP Scanjet series.

Scan 35mm photo slides and negatives

As for enlarging scan I will need to check into this. I know some printers allow for enlarging or reducing copies by certain percentages but I don't know if they have that option for scans. Adding on to the first portion of the post, the Scanjet series may have what you are looking for. The User Manual for the Scanjet G4050 states that you can "use the Resize [option] to change the size of the final scanned image". The Scanjet product series are commercial products however, and I am not all that familiar with them; you may want to look into them for what you wish to do with your scanner.

HP Scanjet G4050 Manual

Don't forgot to say thanks by giving "Kudos" to those that help solve your problems.

When a solution is found please mark the post that solves your issue.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation