Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
officejet pro 8500A
macOS 10.12 Sierra

The document feeder function of the document tray does not pick up or feed reliably.  Is there a fix for this issue?

John D

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi @DiCicco,

Thank you for showing your interest in HP Support Forums. It is a great place to find the help you need, from other users, HP experts, and other support personnel. I understand you are having an issue with document feeder tray will not pick up or feed properly on your HP OfficeJet Printer. I'll be really glad to help you with this,

Please make sure that the printer is connected directly to the wall outlet and not to the surge protector. 

Please make sure that the printer is connected directly to the wall outlet and not to the surge protector.

Remove all the ink cartridges and then try to perform a hard reset on the printer.

With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer and also unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.

Remove USB cable, if present.

Wait for 2-3 minutes, press and hold the power button on your printer for about 30 seconds to remove any additional charge.

Now plug back the power cable straight to a wall outlet without any surge protector or an extension cord and then plug back the power cord to the printer.

Turn on the printer and wait till warm-up period finishes and the printer is idle.

Now insert the ink cartridges and then try to print a test page and check if it works.

Step one. Restart the All-in-One

Step two: Check the condition of the paper, and then reload it

Step three: Adjust the paper settings in the print driver

Step four: Clean the paper rollers

Step five: Reset the Printer

For more details, click here

Please respond to this post with the result of your troubleshooting. I look forward to hearing from you. 

If you wish to help others looking for the same solution as you've found, mark the post as Accepted Solution.

If you wish to show appreciation for my effort, please click the Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

And I Hope you have a good day, Ahead.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I'm pretty sure this is not a soft ware or re-set problem.  I think it's mechanical.  The feeder is running but has difficulty picking up the paper.  You mentioned cleaning the rollers.  How is that done?

Thanx,

John D

HP Recommended

Hi @DiCicco,

Thank you for replying,

I appreciate your time and efforts,

This definitely does not look to be a software issue, Before you could come to any conclusion, I would suggest you follow the steps suggested in the support document for - An 'Out of Paper' Message Displays and the Product Does Not Pick Up or Feed Paper - Click here

If the issue still persists, I would personally suggest this could be a printer hardware. I would recommend you contact our HP phone support for available service options. Please fill in the product details to get the tech support number.

Please use the following link to create yourself a case number, then call and it may help speed up the call process:

Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect

Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"

Step 4. Scroll down and click: HP contact options - click on Get phone numberCase number and phone number appear.

They will be happy to assist you immediately.

Keep me posted for any other assistance,

If the information I've provided was helpful,

give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons,

that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanx for the response but I think we are talking about two different issues.  The printer picks up paper from the paper feeder without a problem.  It is the document feeder on top that doesn't function well.  You can hear it trying to pick up the documents in the feeder tray but it doesn't always do so.  I have to help it by pushing the docs in by hand.  Let me know what you think.

J D

HP Recommended

Hi @DiCicco,

Thank you for replying,

I appreciate your time and efforts,

As I understand you are having an issue with the top document feeder not picking up papers, this could be an issue with the sensor. I would personally suggest you contact our HP phone support for further assistance. Please follow this link: www.hp.com/contacthp/ to create a case number.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you need any further assistance. I'll be more than happy to help.

If I have helped you resolve the issue, feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, 

Followed by clicking on "Accept as solution" from the drop-down menu on the upper right corner,

Thank you for posting in the HP Support Forum.  Have a great day!

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I am out of warranty so talking to HP isn't an option.  I went to YOUTUBE and there was a video on how to clean the rubber pickup.  I think that might work. 

Thanx for your help.

J D

HP Recommended

Hi @DiCicco,

Thank you for the replying,

Please take your time and get back to me with the results,

I'll be awaiting your response and would be glad to help.

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.