Question

Honor Student
notbroken
Message 1 of 4 (731 Views)

Double-sided scanning issue with HP OfficeJet Pro 8600 Plus

I am a quadriplegic that has to resort to cutting out & scanning the pages of books I am unable to find e-book versions ofso that I can read them on my computer. I recently bought an HP OfficeJet 8600 all-in-one specifically for its double-sided scanning feature, so that my caregivers don't have to manually scan these books one page at a time. it's hooked up to an HP Z820 workstation running Windows 7 professional.

it seemed to work well on the first couple pages, but when I opened up the PDF to look it over, I found that all of the even pages were distorted at the top (see images below)… As though it didn't wait until the scan is complete to start the automatic feeder or something?I uninstalled the printer, reloaded the drivers… Still the same thing. So I took it back to Costco and replaced it, reloaded everything once more, but the issue still prevails.

scanned with double-sided page feature:

distorted.jpg

original scanned without using the automatic document feeder:

distorted2.jpg

Would really appreciate some help here!

Tutor
nomas
Message 2 of 4 (717 Views)

Re: Double-sided scanning issue with HP OfficeJet Pro 8600 Plus

Have you tried using a different type of media? That is, try duplex scanning just a regular letter size document (copy paper quality) with printing on both sides. If you can successfully scan this type of paper then it may be your scan media is a paper type that slips in the rollers. We can go continue from there once we establish it is/isn't a basic feed problem with the paper type.
Honor Student
notbroken
Message 3 of 4 (711 Views)

it looks like that may be the case… Any suggestion on how to keep the different media from slipping?

Tutor
nomas
Message 4 of 4 (703 Views)

In general you need to keep the rollers clean (see your user guide for cleaning the rollers on your specific model). Given your stated condition of quadriplegia I can't really give you advise on how to do this as I don't know what capabilities you have or the type of physical support you might require. Here is an excerpt from wikipedia that may be of use:

Once the paper is liberated from the spine, it can be scanned one sheet at a time using a traditional flatbed scanner or automatic document feeder (ADF).

Pages with a decorative riffled edging or curving in an arc due to a non-flat binding can be difficult to scan using an ADF. An ADF is designed to scan pages of uniform shape and size, and variably sized or shaped pages can lead to improper scanning. The riffled edges or curved edge can be guillotined off to render the outer edges flat and smooth before the binding is cut.

The coated paper of magazines and bound textbooks can make them difficult for the rollers in an ADF to pick up and guide along the paper path. An ADF which uses a series of rollers and channels to flip sheets over may jam or misfeed when fed coated paper. Generally there are fewer problems by using as straight of a paper path as is possible, with few bends and curves. The clay can also rub off the paper over time and coat sticky pickup rollers, causing them to loosely grip the paper. The ADF rollers may need periodic cleaning to prevent this slipping.

Magazines can pose a bulk-scanning challenge due to small nonuniform sheets of paper in the stack, such as magazine subscription cards and fold out pages. These need to be removed before the bulk scan begins, and are either scanned separately if they include worthwhile content, or are simply left out of the scan process.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation