Duplex scanning from HP Scan with an Officejet 8600 Plus (30236 Views)
Tutor
Matt_Austern
Message 1 of 12 (30,236 Views)
Accepted Solution

Duplex scanning from HP Scan with an Officejet 8600 Plus

The document feeder on the Officejet 8600 Plus supports duplex scanning (i.e. scanning both sides of the originals). I've had no trouble getting it to work when I start a scan from the printer control panel -- there's a very clear button to toggle between 1-sided and 2-sided originals.

When I start the scan from my computer, however, using the included scanner program (HP Scan 3), I can't find any option to select duplex scanning. I can use the automatic document feeder, but I just get one side scanned. Is there some hidden option somewhere in HP Scan 3 that I overlooked?

I'm using a Mac, for what it's worth, running OS X 10.6.8 "Snow Leopard". 

Honor Student
Xenocide
Message 2 of 12 (30,190 Views)

Re: Duplex scanning from HP Scan with an Officejet 8600 Plus

TI'm having the exact same problem. Someone with knowledge of this please post a reply. I have been scouring the HP menus on the machine & on my Windows PC. I've also been scouring the manuals & internet for a solution. Thus far - no luck.

I have a two page, double-sided document that I am trying to scan as ONE individual pdf. Please assist.

Thanks in advance.

Honor Student
Xenocide
Message 3 of 12 (30,183 Views)

@Matt_Austern:

Solution!: Posting on the HP forums was a last resort for me, but I ran across this right before giving up:

http://bit.ly/HPscan2011 

It came from another thread here in the HP forums. The example is using a different model than us, but the menu is pretty much identical. I followed each step word for word & was finally able to figure out how to make one multipage/double-sided document = one scanned document.

I used the feeder on the top of the printer (it's a little faster than using the glass) & got my 2-page/double-sided document into ONE single document on my computer (pdf). 

In essence, you have to make sure a certain option is NOT selected ("Create a separate file for each scanned page"), but this option should, by default, not be selected. After tha, just start the scan & , ONCE STARTED, it will start to give you options to add addtional pages to the scanned document(s). It's a cinch. Just wish it was more clear on the HP unit. I spent hours searching for this before I ran across the link above.

Tutor
Matt_Austern
Message 4 of 12 (30,174 Views)

Those instructions didn't help me, since the dialog boxes look completely different in the Mac version of the software, but they did prompt me to look more carefully at the menus one more time. I found that if you bring up the scanning preferences dialog box, either by clicking on the icon in the lower left of the main screen or by selecting "HP Scan | Preferences" from the menu, the option I want is there. Right in the middle of the screen, above a horizontal divider, there are five icons after the word "Orientation". The first two really are orientation, and the other three control one-sided versus two-sided scanning. 

So yes, I really was missing something pretty obvious.

Student
parebel
Message 5 of 12 (29,641 Views)

I tried everything to get my HP8600 to copy and scan in duplex mode to no avail.  I am using OSX Lion. Matt, I only see 4 icons next to the word orientation and they make the scan either upside down sideways.

Does anyone have  solution out there.

Honor Student
dyxlesic
Message 6 of 12 (28,530 Views)

I am also having problems with the HP Officejet Pro 8600 Plus on a Mac Mini running Lion 10.7.4 with DUPLEX SCANNING to JPEG.

The Duplex scanning on Lion uses the 'Print & Scan' System Preference. When 'Duplex' is selected, and one is trying to create a single document from a double sided page, the orientation is wrong for the second page - no matter what orientation is selected for the second page.

TIFF seems to be OK though. But the software is still flakey and sometimes the Check Box for creating a single document does not appear.

I called HP support and they are aware of this problem since 26 April 2012.

Since then there have been 2 software updates for HP printers via Lion's Software Update, but the problem has not been fixed.

Please, HP fix this problem, as this is supposed to be the top of the line Inkjet printer, and it can't do what it is supposed to do out of the box.

Top Student
StuC
Message 7 of 12 (26,192 Views)

Mountain Lion update fixes scanner issue.

Honor Student
dyxlesic
Message 8 of 12 (26,173 Views)

Do you mean that installing OSX 10.8 solves the 'pdf duplex inverted scanned image' problem?

I installed Mountain Lion 10.8 on 2 days ago. After your message, I tired pdf duplex scanning.

Sorry, same result. Problem still there.

Tried changing setting for second page to be inverted. Same result.

Did you have the same problem before Mountain Lion, and then it was solved by installing Mountain Lion?

Top Student
StuC
Message 9 of 12 (26,164 Views)

Not sure. Prior to the updrade to 10.23 (?) today I could not do duplex scanning.Rectangular docs are rotated 90 deg clockwise (odd and even pages.)

Honor Student
dyxlesic
Message 10 of 12 (26,161 Views)

Thanks for your reply. I could do duplex scanning to pdf before Mountain Lion, but like you the odd and even pages were 180 degrees rotated, ie. upside down, which is what I think you mean.

I still have the same rotation problem with Mountain Lion. Do you not have that problem now?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation