Question

Student
blitzink
Message 1 of 7 (15,037 Views)

ERROR MESSAGE - Scanner failure - Unable to scan, copy or send a fax - Photosmart 3310 All in One

My second HP Photosmart 3310 All-In-One Printer-Fax-Scanner-Copier.  Why?  Because the first one gave me an error message - Scanner failure - Unable to scan, copy or send a fax.  Went back to Best Buy and they replaced 1st one with current one.  14 months and approximately 6 or 7 total scans later (no faxing or copying), I again am receiving this error message.  HP Support wouldn't speak with me (obviously out of warranty).  Perhaps The trouble I've gone through with this $400+ product isn't worthy more than a few hours of run-around with their "customer support" reps.  UGGHH.

CAN ANYONE HELP?  SIMILAR ISSUES?  IS IT A BULB?  Seems ashame to go spend more money on another product, HP or otherwise.  Thanks.

RK 

Student
HP-User-3310
Message 2 of 7 (14,841 Views)

Re: ERROR MESSAGE - Scanner failure - Unable to scan, copy or send a fax - Photosmart 3310 All in On

Boy, does this story sound familiar.  After some research and considering the fact that good quality photos are important, we purchased the HP 3310 a little over 3 years ago.  This certainly was not the cheapest all-in-one unit available.  Thank God we purchased the extended warranty from Best Buy.  Roughly 7 months after purchase, we could no longer copy, scan or fax -- same message you received.  We returned the unit to Best Buy and they promptly replaced it with a new one.  We were offered as a replacement any printer of our choice up to the purchase price of the 3310.

Second mistake:  we chose to replace the unit with another HP 3310.   Guess what -- a few days after expiration of our extended warranty, we received the same message again and could no longer copy, scan or fax.  As it was out of warranty by this time, we examined the unit carefully and found that the light carriage bar that scans was out of alignment and stuck there.  We removed the 2 screws holding the scanner bed and were able to squeeze a hand far enough under the glass to re-align the scanner bar.  It still would not work.  We thought it was broken and turned it off.  Much to our surprise, next time we turned it on, it worked...until, that is, we tried to use the reduce/enlarge function and it repeated the malfunction.  We have since determined that the reduce/enlarge function creates the problem.  As long as we do not use the reduce/enlarge function, the printer continues to copy, scan and fax.

We are going to replace this printer, but there is an old saying..."Once a fool, shame on you; twice a fool, shame on me."  The replacement will surely not be an HP product.

Honor Student
Covelloj
Message 3 of 7 (13,304 Views)

Re: ERROR MESSAGE - Scanner failure - Unable to scan, copy or send a fax - Photosmart 3310 All in On

[ Edited ]

Hi, believe it or not, this worked..,

unplug unit for 30 sec.
press and hold # key plus 3 key (keep holding)
plug in unit again
keep holding # and 3 buttons until screen says reset has occurred
release buttons, try copying or scanning

if you're lucky, you'll now have a functioning unit

Message Edited by Covelloj on 09-27-2009 03:07 PM
Student
Rob_in
Message 4 of 7 (13,238 Views)

I purchased a HP Photosmart Premium (309a) about 2 weeks ago. I've performed 1 scan (5 or so pages) so far and no faxing.

Today tried to scan some photos manually (just lift the feeder, not using it). A couple worked but then I got the message,"Scanner failure - Unable to scan, copy or send a fax".

I tried power on/off of both PC and All-in-one.

I tried the power cycling holding # plus 3 key. The device did indeed reset, and go through the ink re-calibration (on the way to telling me it was low on ink even though I've ony printed 4 100x150mm photos and a handfull of A4 B&W documents) but still the message remains.

Visiting HP support site notice this message isn't listed. I will call HP tomorrow and see what they say. To be frank though - I'm disgusted that the device seems so fragile (which it does given the number of reports here and on other forums of this problem). If this cannot be fixed by some other sort of reset I'll be returning it for a refund.

Student
rajvithu
Message 5 of 7 (10,224 Views)

3110 All-in-One printer due to the scanner did not work and it gives me many time problems. Then tried Covelloj's advice and it did work OK. 

Unplug unit for 30 sec,

Press and hold # key plus 3 key

plug in unit again

keep holding # and 3 buttons until screen says reset has occurred
release buttons, tried it scanning and copying its working.

Thank you for the advice simple your are great.

I think I am lucky this time but,

I was no last time it happend to the same type of printer gave a call to HP "NO" help.

I bought this printer 3110 ones again from local paper addvert.

Thank you it works,

I cannot understand why the HP couldn't  have advice on the help so I could have save some money.

Student
edpowers80525
Message 6 of 7 (4,498 Views)

My 3310 crashes after each and every page is scanned (Scanner Failure: Unable to scan, copy or send a fax). This started happening about 1 year or so after we bought it, and of course, it's well out of warranty. I tried the #3 hard reset, and it makes no difference. I've also re-installed all the software and drivers.

Student
BestIdea
Message 7 of 7 (1,248 Views)

Get a big hammer and club it to death and purchase another brand.

blitzink wrote:

My second HP Photosmart 3310 All-In-One Printer-Fax-Scanner-Copier.  Why?  Because the first one gave me an error message - Scanner failure - Unable to scan, copy or send a fax.  Went back to Best Buy and they replaced 1st one with current one.  14 months and approximately 6 or 7 total scans later (no faxing or copying), I again am receiving this error message.  HP Support wouldn't speak with me (obviously out of warranty).  Perhaps The trouble I've gone through with this $400+ product isn't worthy more than a few hours of run-around with their "customer support" reps.  UGGHH.

CAN ANYONE HELP?  SIMILAR ISSUES?  IS IT A BULB?  Seems ashame to go spend more money on another product, HP or otherwise.  Thanks.

RK 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation