Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
HP Deskjet 1512
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I cannot find any question about scanning on this product, I want post a picture of my screen but can't. This occurs when trying to scan anything. The first screen comes up with 'Error Applying Settings To Driver' then the next after the product attempts to scan is the error message 'A Problem Prevented the Document from being scanned'. I have had this product for almost a year and have only been able to scan once. I have tried unsuccessfully to follow all troubleshooting steps and nothing works. I am beginning to hate this printer. I have uninstalled and reinstalled, restarted my computer over and over after each uninstall and reinstall. I have unplugged USB and power cords. This scanner software/driver sucks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I don't usually bother with these sites but since I seem to be the only person that knows the solution to the Error applying settings to driver with scanners I should share it. I went through three Microsoft techs and they were at a loss. They usually end up saying I installed a bad iso image and should download a new one and reinstall. But anywho the fix is... run your registry editor and go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\StillImage and delete the Stillimage key don't worry it'll be recreated with the proper key settings because the driver rewrites it and there you go no more scanner errors I should add I'm on win 10 x64 with a cannon mp280 printer but this should apply to windows 7 and up.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended
Hi sundown80,

Welcome to the HP Forums! 

I understand that you cannot scan with your HP Deskjet 1512, and I am happy to help! 

To verify the printer's hardware is functional, what happens when you try to make a copy with the printer's scanner glass? Copying Documents.

In the meantime, please double check that all the steps in this guide, USB Scanner Connection is Lost (Windows), have been completed. 

If this, or any of the posts on this thread, has helped you to resolve the issue, please click on Accept as Solution on said post. To show that you 'like', or are thankful of my post, kindly click the thumbs up below. If there is anything else I can do to help, please be sure to let me know!

Hope this helps, and thank you for posting! 🙂
RnRMusicMan
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" to say “Thanks” for helping!

HP Recommended

I don't usually bother with these sites but since I seem to be the only person that knows the solution to the Error applying settings to driver with scanners I should share it. I went through three Microsoft techs and they were at a loss. They usually end up saying I installed a bad iso image and should download a new one and reinstall. But anywho the fix is... run your registry editor and go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\StillImage and delete the Stillimage key don't worry it'll be recreated with the proper key settings because the driver rewrites it and there you go no more scanner errors I should add I'm on win 10 x64 with a cannon mp280 printer but this should apply to windows 7 and up.

HP Recommended

Thank you Pawl57 you should work for HP you had the best answer and it worked. God is good and you are awesome. HP has got nothing on you LOL.

HP Recommended

Only to happy to share as knowledge not shared is a waste imho 🙂

HP Recommended

The suggestion to delete the StillImage key did not work for me. Also, the key was not re-created - even after reboot and multiple scans. I wonder if my key lies in another registry location.

I am running Windows 10 Pro and am using the WIndows Fax and Scan function with my USB-connected LaserJet 3390. I only get the "error applying settings to driver" and "A problem preventing the document from being scanned..." messages are when I resize the area to be scanned after first running a preview. If I just scan, or run a preview, then a scan without pre-cropping, then everything works fine. However, the error does not always happen after the crop - it seems to be sensitive to the crop dimensions - particularly the left edge. I believe that I only get the errors when I try to crop the left edge inward.

Any thoughts?

HP Recommended

Try uninstalling your drivers and reinstalling them or try another USB port preferably a 2.0 port as some printers don't work well on USB 3.0

HP Recommended

I almost forgot goto control panel add remove features and uncheck scanning and fax then reboot and reinstall fax and scan.

HP Recommended

Removing, rebooting and re-adding the feature didn't help.

Why would USB have anything to do this this issue? Scans are 100% reliable once initiated. Printing (same port/device) is also reliable.

Not sure I know how to remove the scanner driver. Installing was done through "Add Device" in Scanners and Cameras and choosing the HP3390 . I don't see a remove or update option there.

Thanks!

HP Recommended

Since wia is acting up in general it wouldn't hurt to try another usb port just something to eliminate as I've seen some printers/scanners get fussy on some usb ports. To remove the driver run devmgmt.msc and expand the printer section right click the driver and select uninstall then select the action menu and select scan for hardware changes or check windows update and see if microsoft has a driver update.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.