Question

Student
Refugee
Message 1 of 4 (1,068 Views)

Errors and Frozen Faxing Photosmart C309a

This Premier Multi-function tool is not very old; it was purchased NEW less than a year ago.  I cannot send faxes. 

The first page begins to load and then stops half way in to the loader/scanner. The process goes no further and the document is basically stuck. When I attempt to get the paper released from the loader (to try again) I have to wait even longer periods of time and usually have to power off the machine. The only Error codes that occassionally are revealed are limited to 388 

WHAT CAN BE DONE TO REMEDY THIS ISSUE? 

The machine can SCAN. I can hear the fax tones when the machine auto-answers or starts the sending process. The rest is a mystery...please assist.

Thanks

The PA Refugee

PhD Student
Super_Dave
Message 2 of 4 (1,060 Views)

Re: Errors and Frozen Faxing Photosmart C309a

Error code 388 is a general line condition code:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 

Error Code: 386, 387, 388, 389, 390, 391, 392, 393, 394, 395
Definition

There is too much noise on the line for a valid connection between two fax machines to complete. The noise problem might go away over time.

Solution

Retry the fax reception at a different time when telephone line conditions have improved. Call the telephone provider if line conditions fail to improve.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 

This is from the HP support document at http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=buu02549&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us#Error386

The printer loads the document and then attempts to fax.  If the fax portion does not go through it could appear as if it were a stuck document in the automatic document feeder.

A fax support document to get you started is http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01632148&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&product=3737195&tmp...

I was an HP employee.

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
Student
kdesmond
Message 3 of 4 (990 Views)

I had the same problem.  I noticed that the phone cord from the printer/fax was going across a power strip.  I re-routed it and unplugged/plugged in the phone cord to the printer and now it works.

Student
nanette131
Message 4 of 4 (635 Views)

I had my phone provider present when I tried to fax out and received this error.  I was able to fax to another line immediately after and it went thru.  I have difficulty with a couple of numbers in particular.  The technician said that the line was good and not sure why the fax would not go thru.  I have had this problem with this machine since I got it with two different service providers.  I don't understand the problem, any other ideas to correct this?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation