Question

Honor Student
RussC
Message 1 of 6 (355 Views)

Fax Log Won't Display

I tried to send a fax today but was unsuccessful because the receiving fax machine had a problem. My HP fax software said that it had stored the fax in the Fax Log so that I could try to send it again later. However, when I open the HP Solution Center and click on Settings>More Fax Settings>Fax Log, nothing happens. I have tried restarting the software, but that has not helped. The printer software is all up to date, as of today.

I've also noticed that when I click on Home>Send a Fax the dialog window is very slow to open (10-15 sec).

If you know or suspect the cause of this problem, I would very much appreciate your help in solving it.

Thanks.

Russ

System Details:
Printer: HP Officejet 6500 E709n, Model CB057A
Printer Driver Version: 70.82.15.0
Firmware Version: RBP1FN0907AR
Software Version: 130.000.999.000
CPU: Intel Core i7 930 2.8 GHz
RAM: 6 GB

Tutor
CiaoBella1
Message 2 of 6 (140 Views)

Re: Fax Log Won't Display

There is no rhyme or reason.

My officejet 8500 does it constantly.

I have been searching for a solution for years.

My fax dialogue opens inconsistenly. Sometimes I can use it every day.

Other times of the year, I can barely use it one out of ten.

Solution Center is always quirky.

Do not accept any printer updates.

HP Support Agent
Advance23
Message 3 of 6 (121 Views)

Hi CiaoBella1,

I will do my to help you resolve your fax dialogue issue. Could you please send the the exact Model Number of your printer?

Thank you,

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" by the Reply to say “Thanks” for helping!

~Advance23~
I work on behalf of HP
Tutor
CiaoBella1
Message 4 of 6 (113 Views)

The exact model is stated in my the first part of my post.  I have the OJ 8500, wired.

Your Solution Center, as I said, has always been quirky - and I've had it since 2009.

I used to have the Director.

Not only does the fax log only display on occasion, but the Send Fax button works infrequently as well.

It rarely opens, no matter how many times I click on it.

Most of the time, I can't fax from my computer.  But I can print, copy, and scan without issues. 

That is a far worse function to have to go without.

Occasionally I think I find solutions, but they are always temporary.  It may be that Microsoft updates conflict and nobody at HP pays attention to potential conflicts.  I've had issues for four years.

I have no idea how many times I have downloaded the version 14.0 over the years, so please do not suggested reinstalling it.  I'm fairly proficient at troubleshooting my devices and maintaining my computer - I run a business so I have to be able to keep everything running smoothly by myself. 

Thank you.

Honor Student
RussC
Message 5 of 6 (109 Views)

CiaoBella1,

Good luck on getting any meaningful or useful help from HP Support.

I asked for help on this issue over 2 years ago, and nary of word of advice have I had from them.

You're already doing better with them than I did since you at least got a response, though I note from that response that the responder did not--or could not--even read your whole message.

As for myself, well...I got rid of my troublesome printer after being unable to fix it.

Tutor
CiaoBella1
Message 6 of 6 (104 Views)

[ Edited ]

RussC,

Yes, I noticed that the question that was asked I had already answered. 

I saw that you posted your question two years ago, and that was why I decided to tell you not to search for an answer, as there isn't one.  Not as far as the SC is concerned.  Here you are telling me the same thing!

I think that there are often conflicts between HP and Microsoft.   I don't expect anything, but you never know what might happen.   This is my third response from HP in the past thrity-five days, although not one of their solutions worked. 

My printer works fine  - it's the Solution Center that sucks.

If the software was the only problem that you had, then your printer wasn't broken.  There used to be the Director - the predecessor to Solution Center.  I am not sure if I can download it, if it would work with my model, or if it is compatible with my OS.   

If I remember correctly, HP upgraded me from a J4500 to the 8500.  The wireless version, which I have, but I use it wired -  is on Amazon for $550).  It works well for most of my needs.

Take care.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation