Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet Pro 8600
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Occasionally, after receiving a large fax (25 pages +) my fax machine will say Memory full and is unable to receive new faxes. This happens even when my fax log is empty and the first fax for the log to come in is a big one. Clearing the fax log seems to help, but sometimes it feels like a superstitious ritual. I clear the log, faxes still can't come in, so I clear the log again as if I'm rubbing a lucky rabbits foot and then faxes finally come through again. How can I fix this?

The All in one is setup on a wired network. It saves faxes to one computer on the network. Operating systems accessing the all in one include Windows 7 Pro 32 bit, Windows 7 Pro 64 bit, and Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @MrMeow,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums!

I see that you're experiencing issues with the fax memory on your HP Officejet Pro 8600 e-All-in-One Printer - N911a. I would be happy to assist you with this.

It sounds like your printer is not clearing the memory properly when you clear the fax log. I believe we can correct this by performing a reset. Please try one reset at a time and see if it resolves the issue.

Here's some useful information:

If Fax to PC or Fax to Mac has been enabled, you may not be able to send or receive faxes if the fax memory is full (limited by printer memory). 

NOTE: Total Memory 128 MB

Fax Memory Full:

If Backup Fax Reception or HP Digital Fax (Fax to PC or Fax to Mac) is enabled and the printer has a problem (such as a paper jam), the printer saves incoming faxes to memory until the problem is resolved. However, the printer's memory might fill up with faxes that have not been printed yet or transferred to the computer. 

Source

Faxing: 

• Fax Speed 4 sec per page
  • Fax Resolution Black and White: Up to 203 x 98 dpi; Colour: Up to 200 x 200 dpi
  • Memory Up to 100 pages
  • Speed Dials Up to 99 numbers Fax Features Digital Fax – Fax to Mac/Fax to PC is available with Windows and Macintosh 

Source

1. I recommend you update the printer's firmware, click here for the download. This could be a result of a glitch in the firmware.
  2. By chance, have you setup a quota on the network folder in which you're saving the faxes to? We want to ensure the computer isn't rejecting your faxes or causing a delay?
  3. Restoring Factory Defaults. On the Front Panel Menu:  Setup->Tools-> Restore Factory Defaults-> OK- Caution!:  Copy your Phone Numbers stored in memory first.
  4. Try a Partial Reset.
  5. Try a Semi-Full Reset.

I can send you the Reset's in a private message. In the forum beside your handle name just click on the envelope to view it.

If you're still experiencing issues, it might be a hardware issue with the device.

Contacting HP for service in all countries/regions except Asia Pacific.
What you can do, is use the following link to create yourself a case number, then call and it may help speed up the call process:
Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/
Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect
Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your
contact options"
Step 4. Scroll down and click on: HP contact options - click on Get phone
number
Case number and phone number appear.

I hope this helps. Good Luck! 🙂 

Drakster
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi @MrMeow,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums!

I see that you're experiencing issues with the fax memory on your HP Officejet Pro 8600 e-All-in-One Printer - N911a. I would be happy to assist you with this.

It sounds like your printer is not clearing the memory properly when you clear the fax log. I believe we can correct this by performing a reset. Please try one reset at a time and see if it resolves the issue.

Here's some useful information:

If Fax to PC or Fax to Mac has been enabled, you may not be able to send or receive faxes if the fax memory is full (limited by printer memory). 

NOTE: Total Memory 128 MB

Fax Memory Full:

If Backup Fax Reception or HP Digital Fax (Fax to PC or Fax to Mac) is enabled and the printer has a problem (such as a paper jam), the printer saves incoming faxes to memory until the problem is resolved. However, the printer's memory might fill up with faxes that have not been printed yet or transferred to the computer. 

Source

Faxing: 

• Fax Speed 4 sec per page
  • Fax Resolution Black and White: Up to 203 x 98 dpi; Colour: Up to 200 x 200 dpi
  • Memory Up to 100 pages
  • Speed Dials Up to 99 numbers Fax Features Digital Fax – Fax to Mac/Fax to PC is available with Windows and Macintosh 

Source

1. I recommend you update the printer's firmware, click here for the download. This could be a result of a glitch in the firmware.
  2. By chance, have you setup a quota on the network folder in which you're saving the faxes to? We want to ensure the computer isn't rejecting your faxes or causing a delay?
  3. Restoring Factory Defaults. On the Front Panel Menu:  Setup->Tools-> Restore Factory Defaults-> OK- Caution!:  Copy your Phone Numbers stored in memory first.
  4. Try a Partial Reset.
  5. Try a Semi-Full Reset.

I can send you the Reset's in a private message. In the forum beside your handle name just click on the envelope to view it.

If you're still experiencing issues, it might be a hardware issue with the device.

Contacting HP for service in all countries/regions except Asia Pacific.
What you can do, is use the following link to create yourself a case number, then call and it may help speed up the call process:
Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/
Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect
Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your
contact options"
Step 4. Scroll down and click on: HP contact options - click on Get phone
number
Case number and phone number appear.

I hope this helps. Good Luck! 🙂 

Drakster
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

After completing step one,  "... update the printer's firmware...", I was able to receive two 50 page faxes back to back. Normally, the printer would complain about memory with something half that size, so I'll mark this as a good solution. If I have to resort to any of the other troubleshooting steps I will update this thread.

Thanks for your help!

:generic:

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.