Question

Intern
Hazelg
Message 1 of 9 (349 Views)
Accepted Solution

Faxing from my iMac

What software to I need to be able to fax from my iMac directly, using OS 10.8.5?

HP Support Agent
MissTeriLynn
Message 2 of 9 (320 Views)

Re: Faxing from my iMac

Hi Hazelg,

I understand you're wanting to know if you can fax directly from your Mac. I will certainly do my best to assist you with this.

I'm assuming from your other posts in the HP forums that you're working with an Officejet 7310? If not, which model HP printer do you have?

Is that printer connected via USB or wireless to the Mac?

Once I hear back from you I will have a further look into this for you!

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post resolved your issue, as it will help others find the solution faster :smileyhappy:
Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!

**MissTeriLynn**
I work on behalf of HP
Intern
Hazelg
Message 3 of 9 (318 Views)

Yes, Officejet 7310. It is connected to my iMac via ethernet. Thanks.

HP Support Agent
MissTeriLynn
Message 4 of 9 (296 Views)

Hi Hazelg,

Thanks for the reply!

I will recommend that you connect the printer via USB to the Mac (temporarily), download the HP Update via Apple's website, unplug the USB and reboot the Mac, plug the Ethernet cable back in and give it a few moments to acquire an IP address before trying to add the fax driver.

To add the fax driver, click your Apple icon, System Preferences, and Print and Scan. Then click the + symbol below the list of printers and make sure it's on Default across the top of the little window that opens. Give it a moment and you should see everything start to populate, including your Officejet 7310 Fax driver.

Let me know how this goes :smileyhappy:

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post resolved your issue, as it will help others find the solution faster :smileyhappy:

**MissTeriLynn**
I work on behalf of HP
Intern
Hazelg
Message 5 of 9 (292 Views)

The problem wasn't that I did not have the fax driver. I do. I just couldn't find any instructions in the manual of faxing a document directly from the computer instead of printing it out and fax is from the 7310.

BTW, are all of the functions of this Officjet compatible with Mavericks?

HP Support Agent
MissTeriLynn
Message 6 of 9 (276 Views)

Hi Hazelg,

My apologies, I misunderstood the nature of your question! I don't believe we have any documents that explain faxing on a Mac, but I can certainly write up something for you :smileyhappy:

To fax from your Mac, you just have to make sure that after you've clicked File and Print that you're selecting the Fax driver instead of the print driver, like in the screen shot below. Once the Fax driver is selected, you will see the Fax options then populate at the bottom of the window. Once you've entered a number in the To: section, you will then see the Fax button highlight so it can be pressed.

MacFaxfromthedriver.jpg

There will be a few features missing now that you're not using HP software with the printer, but for the most part you'll still be able to do everything you had as before. Were there any particular features you were referring to?

Hope to hear back from you soon!

**MissTeriLynn**
I work on behalf of HP
Intern
Hazelg
Message 7 of 9 (260 Views)

Thanks. This looks as though it might work, but I tried to fax my 7310, and got a busy signal even though the phone is not in use, nor the fax. Now there is a triangle next to the fax when I select it. Can you not sned a fax to yourself from the computer?

HP Support Agent
MissTeriLynn
Message 8 of 9 (244 Views)

Hi Hazelg,

No, you cannot fax yourself because the line would be busy. As it's sending the fax the line is in use, so it makes sense you would get a busy signal :smileyhappy:

I will suggest, that if you'd like to test your fax, try sending a fax to the HP Fax Back Service at 1-888-473-2963 and if it's received successfully on the server's end, it will send you a fax back as well.

Hope this is helpful!!

**MissTeriLynn**
I work on behalf of HP
Intern
Hazelg
Message 9 of 9 (239 Views)

The kudos button isn't working, so let me just say thanks in this way :smileyembarrassed:) At last.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation