Question

Student
nabeelt
Message 1 of 18 (7,256 Views)

File size of scanned documents

I am having trouble with file size of scanned documents  with. HP LaserJet Pro M1212nf

The documents i am scanning are coming out too big in terms of file size; its making it difficult for me to email the documents.

I amusing the lowest quality for scans i.e grayscale, 75 dpi, pdf format dont know what else can be changed..

should I try reinstall the drivers?? Any suggestions

Thanks

Nabeel

Honor Student
Marsrat
Message 2 of 18 (7,224 Views)

Re: File size of scanned documents

nabeelt wrote:

I am having trouble with file size of scanned documents  with. HP LaserJet Pro M1212nf

The documents i am scanning are coming out too big in terms of file size; its making it difficult for me to email the documents.

I amusing the lowest quality for scans i.e grayscale, 75 dpi, pdf format dont know what else can be changed..

What about doing a good quality scan and then processing the image in Adobe Acrobat 9, ... to get the size and appearance you like?

ydw Honor Student
Honor Student
ydw
Message 3 of 18 (7,184 Views)

[ Edited ]

When scanning files to PDF format, I am finding that the resulting PDF page size is wrong.

Here is what I do:

Operating system is Windows 7 Home Premium, up to date as of 2011/02/06.

Installed software drivers for M1212nf MFP, up to date as of 2011/02/06.

The M1212nf MFP is connected by ethernet to a private LAN (192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0) and assigned an IP by the DHCP server on the router.

Start / All Programs / HP / HP LaserJet Professional M1210 MFP Series / Scan To

The "HP LaserJet Scan" dialog opens:

* Select "Save it to a file" and click on "Settings...",

The "Scan Settings" dialog opens:

* "General" tab: Select "Original Defaults", check "Use this as the default for 'Save it to a file'"

* "Scan" tab: Check "Show the TWAIN dialog to allow cropping and preview scanning"

* "File" tab:  Select "Specify the default directory and file type...", leave default directory blank, select PDF as default format

Click "OK" to close "Scan Settings"

Click "Scan" to close "HP LaserJet Scan" and open the "Save As" dialog, enter a file name (e.g., "test1.pdf", file type PDF) and click "Save".

The MFP performs a preview scan.  The test document I am scanning is 8.5x11 (US letter) portrait in size.

The "HP LaserJet M1210nj MFP TWAIN" window now opens.

Default selection area is 8.43x11.69, output dimensions is the same, scale is 100%, units is inches, constrain dimensions is checked, resolution is 300 dpi, estimated file size 25.36 MB (shown below preview).

I don't change any of these, even though selection area is slightly  taller than actual document page size.

Click on "Accept" to scan, and then answer "No" when prompted for another page.

The PDF file is saved.  Actual file size is 434 kB (I assume the result of PDF file compression).  Opening the PDF shows that the scan quality is decent, but Adobe Acrobat Reader 9.4.1 shows that the PDF page size is 35.11 inch x 48.71 inch, which is huge and not even close to the 8.43x11.69 it should be (it is 4 times what it should be).

If I go back and change the scaling of the scan to 50%, the PDF page size is then reduced to half, but still twice the size it should be.  There is no option to scale by 25% to make the PDF page size come out almost correctly.

How can this problem be corrected so that the PDF page size is the same as the original document?  Thanks.

ydw Honor Student
Honor Student
ydw
Message 4 of 18 (7,173 Views)

If I explicitly choose US letter as the output page size instead of invoking the TWAIN dialog on the "Scan" tab under "Scan Settings", I still do not get US letter sized PDF files.  The PDF page size is 35.11 inch x 45.83 inch instead of 8.5 inch x 11 inch.

Top Student
cgoodie
Message 5 of 18 (7,090 Views)

I'm having the same issue with my Photosmart D110.  My feeling is that we should not have to do a work around for such a basic thing.  Where is HP Support on this issue?  Has anyone seen them work on the issue?

Student
Tylergl
Message 6 of 18 (7,067 Views)

[ Edited ]

I am having the same problems with my new HP LaserJet Pro M1212nf. I have contacted HP support via email. So I have been instructed to reinstall the driver about 4 times. LOL. I have the Multifunction networked. It happens on the 2 computers that are using it since the day I installed the product. I have tried multiple settings in the scanning software. I also have a buddy that purchased the same multifunction the same time I did and his PDF's are doing the same thing. I have attached an image below of what the document properties look like. At this point level 2 support has refered me to another level of support. I guess we will see if they come up with a solution.

I did try a different twain compatible scanning software and it worked perfect. The scanning software that I tried is called scanwiz. It can be found at http://www.softi.co.uk/scanwiz.htm it is a trial product and would need to be purchased if you wanted to continue to use it. But the one thing testing this software did was prove the hardware was not the problem with creating a PDF from the scanner. I believe that hp has a problem with the scanning products software and reinstalling the same software over and over again isn't a solution.

PDF Description.jpg

Honor Student
aconnerjmw
Message 7 of 18 (6,978 Views)

We're having the same problem and it is causing major issues getting documents emailed into our document management system at work. 

It appears that under the typical process used to scan to PDF, the page size settings are completely disregarded by the scanner and spit out PDFs with a size of almost 3' x 4' big! 

I thought I read somewhere that this was a result of a bug in the latest HP Solutions Center software and some people were able to "DOWNGRADE" to a previous version and resolve the issue. I have yet to test this solution but will update here if/when I do. Please do the same if you have a chance to do so first!

Honor Student
aconnerjmw
Message 8 of 18 (6,977 Views)

Ahhhh....see the last few posts HERE regarding the issue being a result of updated HP Solution Center Software.

Student
Meras
Message 9 of 18 (3,589 Views)

My scanned documents are a lot smaller than the original, how can I get then the same size than the original? I use windows 7.

Thankyou

Student
grace360
Message 10 of 18 (2,649 Views)

When I scan multiple page documents I have to resize each page (it seems) despite the fact that I want all the documents to remain the same size.  Also, when I print out the documents they are a lot smaller than the original.  What can I do to get the sanned and printed document to be an exact copy of the original? 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation