Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet Pro 8600 All-in-O
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My HP Officejet Pro 8600 is connected wirelessly, just as HP my wife's Pavillion Notebook is. After using the notebook and HP 8600 to scan documents for almost 3 years, a few days ago I tried to scan a document from the HP as always, and I got a message to the effect "Scanner not Found" or something to that effect. I ran HP Print and Scan Doctor (more than once) and it tells me after running that some issues were found and corrected and all items are checked off successfully. Then I try to scan again, and the same message pops up again.I rebooted printer and notebook more than once. It will still print fine, however, it is just the scanner that has disconnected via the HP scanning software that has always worked so well. I had to replace an HP all-in-one almost three years ago due to the scanner breaking first. Please advise and I would appreciate it. The printer is still under warranty for six more weeks, so I really need to know if I should work toward getting it replaced. Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi, and thank you for your fast response, because I have spent a ton of time trying to fix this scanning problem with two different computers and operating systems!!

I am very, very pleased with the link you supplied concerning my MacBook Pro with the upgraded Sierra Operating System which has not been supported by HP with new driver updates.  I went to the Apple App Store and searched for the "HP Easy Scan" app, installed it, and immediately was able to do a test scan and STORE IT ON MY COMPUTER AS A PDF!!! You are golden in my book, and I thank you very sincerely for this information. 

I clicked a "Thumbs Up" and will go back and click "Resolved" if I can now solve the "Cannot Communicate with Scanner" on my wife's HP Pavillion with Windows 10. Keep in mind it used to work great as well. Now, I can assume that there is a software glitch somewhere in the Windows/HP system as well. 

Meanwhile, I can now scan from my MacBook using an HP driver, so I am very happy. Thank you so much and I will get back with you in a day or two when I work on the HP notebook with Windows 10 vs scanning. 

Bill

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi@billsouth,

Thanks for reaching out to HP Support Forums. Best platform for all sorts of solutions, tips and tweaks to your questions/issues.

To have the best experience on HP forum, visit our HP Forums Guide to know more.

"Scanner not found" error while trying to scan. Is that right?

Thank you for sharing the issue details. I would like to help you.

I was able to find an HP article which has a solution for the error you have regarding the printer.

I believe this article should fix the issue.

I recommend you try all the steps in the article from the link below and check if that solves the issue.

http://hp.care/2bUFEIG

Hope this helps. Let me know for more.

Happy posting.

Resolv_S

Glad to help you. I work for HP

Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the Kudos Thumbs Up" to say “Thanks” for helping!

Resolv_S
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the Thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

Thank you so much for the quick response. This is going to take a while and I won't have the time until tomorrow. I hope to get if fixed using one of the steps and as soon as I get a result, I hope to be able to click "Resolved" and give a thumbs up. 

Thanks again and I will get back with you. 

HP Recommended

Hi@billsouth,

I thank you for the reply.

Do the steps at your pace in order to avoid any issues again. Will wait for your response.

Happy posting.

Resolv_S

Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Resolv_S
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the Thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

Unfortunately, I have tried just about all the steps in the article and still have a problem. 

Now, after installing the latest HP driver for Windows 10 (after uninstalling the previous version), which I did at least 3 times, an issue with the install assistant arose. As I was installing the software with the help of the "assistant", things were going well and it connected to my network fine. However, when I got to the screens later toward the end of the installation, especially the screen that says: "Tell us how you will use the printer.....", there were some bullets for which I was to choose one, but there was no verbiage beside the bullets to let me know what I was choosing??? The screen would not continue unless I clicked one of these bullets, so I clicked the top bullet just to continue. Also, later in the installation the screens contained yellow text that was very unreadable. However, I finally, after much effort got the program to supposedly install the latest software, all 3 times. There never was a typical message from the software that said "finish", or "it's installed" and so on. Not a good deal at all as far as my confidence that the installer was doing its job. 

I also tried the embedded web server, and here is what happened with that:

With the EWS, the document finally scanned and showed a crummy preview of part of the scanned page. HOWEVER, it would not give me the option of storing it on my computer as a pdf. It would save a version of an HTML document??, even though I had checked that I wanted the final document to be a PDF file. 

So, here is a more finite description of the problem with the HP Scanner on the Officejet Pro 8600!

With my MacBook Pro, it suddenly quit giving me the option to store the PDF document on my Mac in a folder of my choosing. After scanning successfully and presenting a preview, when I click "file save", the pop-up screen would not give me the option to name the pdf and which folder to put it in, as I had been doing for the last year! 

The HP Pavillion notebook DV6 I think, all of a sudden, with the HP software, would always send back a message to the effect: "Cannot establish communication with the scanner".  Keep in mind, it will print just fine. 

The embedded web server would finally present a preview, but gave no option to save it to my computer as a PDF!

So, the scanner bed will move and will scan, but the scanned PDF will not let me save the PDF to either of my computers like it has for one year on my new MacBook and for 2 or 3 years on my wife's HP notebook.

I bought a 3 year warranty from Staples, (which Expires Jan 10 or so, so I am going to visit the store and start a campaign to get it replaced. I have no idea how successful that will be, but now after working on the problem for weeks, I feel confident that as far as I can tell, the scanner is permanently non-functional as far as storing a document on either of my computers. 

I apologize for the long message, but I wanted you to understand how hard I have worked to fix it, and what steps I have taken, and the final outcome. It's a very important issue because I cannot afford to buy another printer right now (retired and disabled), but I miss my scanner terribly. My only hope is a replacement, or some other solutions I can try from you nice people. 

Thank you!

Bill

HP Recommended

Hi@billsouth,

Thanks for the reply.

I recommend you to perform the steps below and check if that resolve the issue on your PC and printer.

For scanner not found an error, use the link below.

http://hp.care/2gGomwD

Unable to save the file as pdf.

http://hp.care/2hkAwi2

Even after executing the steps, you still have the same error regarding your printer,

I recommend you to use the link below and reach Phone support for any warranty related support options.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp

Hope the information shared will help you. Please share for more.

Resolv_S

"HP respects and is committed to protecting the personal information of our covered individuals." You can read more in the HP Privacy Statement.

Resolv_S
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Hi, and thank you for your fast response, because I have spent a ton of time trying to fix this scanning problem with two different computers and operating systems!!

I am very, very pleased with the link you supplied concerning my MacBook Pro with the upgraded Sierra Operating System which has not been supported by HP with new driver updates.  I went to the Apple App Store and searched for the "HP Easy Scan" app, installed it, and immediately was able to do a test scan and STORE IT ON MY COMPUTER AS A PDF!!! You are golden in my book, and I thank you very sincerely for this information. 

I clicked a "Thumbs Up" and will go back and click "Resolved" if I can now solve the "Cannot Communicate with Scanner" on my wife's HP Pavillion with Windows 10. Keep in mind it used to work great as well. Now, I can assume that there is a software glitch somewhere in the Windows/HP system as well. 

Meanwhile, I can now scan from my MacBook using an HP driver, so I am very happy. Thank you so much and I will get back with you in a day or two when I work on the HP notebook with Windows 10 vs scanning. 

Bill

HP Recommended

Hello,

Your link directs to the HP Print and Scan Doctor. I have downloaded and ran it, but it didn't solve the problem. It's obviously a very specific issue with the HP software, because both Windows Fax and Scanner and the Windows 8 Scanner softwares found my printer immediately, whereas my HP Scan software still shows the error message "The HP DeskJet 500 was not found". Any other suggestions?

HP Recommended

Hello,

Thank you for posting in this thread. Unfortunately based on when the last response was made, I have closed this thread to help keep comments current and up to date. We recommend starting a new thread for your issue by clicking here.
To be more helpful with your post, you can add key information if you desire: 
1. Product Name and Number (please do not post Serial Number)
• Example: HP Pavilion DV2-1209AX or HP Deskjet 3000 Printer CH393A
2. Operating System installed (if applicable)
• Example: Windows XP, Windows Vista 32-bit, Windows 7 64-bit
3. Error message (if any)
• Example: ""Low disk space"" error in Windows
4. Any changes made to your system before the issue occurred
• Examples: Upgrading your Operating System or installing a new software; or installing new hardware like a printer, modem, or router.
If you have any other questions about posting in the community, please feel free to send me a private message!

Thank you

I work on behalf of HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.