Question

Honor Student
radicalrags
Message 1 of 6 (3,339 Views)

Getting your Old HP 3400c Scanner and maybe others to work in Vista

recently bought a New Compag DeskTop with Vista Home Premium 32 bit.... I have an Old HP 3400c flatbed scanner that HP does not supply drivers...... Here is how to get the HP 3400c and maybe other Older HP scanners to work.......all found on Google :smileyhappy:

First, download this setup program from HP for your 3400c scanner,get the XP drivers  sj652.exe  follow what I have written out and it will work.....

Uninstall all existing drivers first and " Unplug the USB cable"
Extract the sj652 installer in a folder....
Select the "setup" application and right click on it to get properties. Change the compatibility to XP. Then run it and click "OK" on any warnings from Vista.
Go to the HP folder in your Program Files directory, there will be a "HP PrecisionScan" folder. It will be the only one unless you have other HP products. Open the PrecisionScan LTX folder and change all applications to XP compatibility.

The scanner will now work now. The buttons on the front do not work, and you can't do anything with it by going to "scanners and cameras" in your control panel. Windows Fax and Scan also does not work. BUT, it seems to work great and all the functionality is there in the LTX software. Plug in your scanner via USB and let it install.

Using Windows Vista Compatibility Mode:
Windows Vista, like any new operating system, will have problems running some older versions of applications. This is especially true in Vista, considering all the changes. Thankfully there is a compatibility mode that can be easily set per application.

To configure the compatibility mode for an application, just locate the installation directory and right click on the .exe, selecting Properties from the menu.

Select the Compatibility tab:
Click the box:
Run this program in compatibility mode for:
Windows XP (Service Pack 2)

You can choose to run the program in Windows XP compatibility mode, or even all the way back to Windows 95 compatibility.

Student
ramses061
Message 2 of 6 (3,317 Views)

Re: Getting your Old HP 3400c Scanner and maybe others to work in Vista

Do these tips work at Windows 7? And did you try to find a 64 bit driver? Thanks.
Honor Student
radicalrags
Message 3 of 6 (3,295 Views)

Sorry,

I do not have windows 7 yet,still deciding if I want to downgrade to XP or try Win 7... Does  Vista 64 bit have XP compatibility feature like Vista 32? If it does I do not see why you cannot do the same procedure as I posted for 32 bit Vista...good luck :smileyhappy:

Honor Student
johnette02
Message 4 of 6 (1,432 Views)

I followed these instructions (for Windows 7), and ran Setup.exe. I received the following popup:  "Unable to locate C:sj652\English\LAYOUT.BIN wich is needed to complete the installation".

i opened the 'English' folder and tried running Setup.exe from there. Got the same popup about the LAYOUT.BIN missing.

I then checked each file to change the compatibality to Win 7 SP2. No change in the popup. Where do I, or where does the Setup program find LAYOUT.BIN?

Thanks

Honor Student
johnette02
Message 5 of 6 (1,430 Views)

Nevermind! Sorry, I was in the wrong folder. Found another folder and LTX loaded.

-New problem.

In Setup, the drivers loaded (I saw the meters), changed all compatibility ".exe" files to Win 7, SP2 and checked "Run as administrator", Apply, OK.

Opened LTX program and was told by Win7 that drivers were not found. "Devices & Printers" shows the scanner with a

"!" mark and Code 28.

A search in "C:/" and an Internet search found no drivers. The drivers listed are for the LaserJet 1220 through 3392. There are other drivers but I don't know what they are for...... like an OfficeJet????

How do I get this computer to find the drivers?

Thanks.

Tutor
weighed
Message 6 of 6 (556 Views)

I can't get my scanner to work using  compatibility XP SP2 on my Win7 64 bit HP G60. It used to work on my tower that is running Win XP, but now I'm getting a no memory msg. I guess I'll try and free up some memory. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation