Question

Tutor
wpl7
Message 1 of 5 (4,703 Views)
Accepted Solution

HELP! My HP LaserJet Pro 400 color MFP M475dn printer will NOT print!!!!

[ Edited ]

HP LaserJet Pro 400 color MFP M475dn- CE863A

Printer is on a network and can connect to multiple computers that include: Mac OS X, Windows 7, and Windows XP.

When I try to print from my iMac, the printer queue says "The printer is not connected".  When we try to print from the Windows computers, it just sits there in the queue and doesn't print.  When I go over to the printer itself and try to print either a demo page or a supplies page directly from it, it says on the screen that is printed it but nothing happens.  It doesn't hum or anything!  The port where the network cable is connected is lit green which HP says that means that the network cable is connected.  We have had this printer for a year now and something like this has never happened.

I haven't switched any software or anything before this happened.  It was working fine on Saturday when we were using it, but when we came into work today, it just decided it would stop printing!

I am stumped!  I tried 'pinging' the printer's IP address from my iMac and it pings just fine.  Does anyone have any tips?

(I tried doing the obvious too- like turning the printer on and off and shutting the computers down- and nothing!)

Tutor
wpl7
Message 2 of 5 (4,695 Views)

Re: HELP! My HP LaserJet Pro 400 color MFP M475dn printer will NOT print!!!!

[ Edited ]

Okay, so I'm feeling slightly stupid right now.  I decided I would shut the printer down for about an hour to see if that was it and what do you know- it was!  I had shut it off a few times before but I guess it just wasn't long enough.  What a pain!  

Thank you to anyone who took the time to read this!  Sorry to waste anyone's time!!

Honor Student
alv1234
Message 3 of 5 (4,649 Views)

[ Edited ]

You don't have to feel stupid, me and another user have the same problem with this printer: sometimes it hangs completely, it does not print anymore from the network until you power-cycle the unit: http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Multifunction-and-All-in-One/HP-LaserJet-400-color-MFP-M475dn-Does-not-...

I think there's a serious firmware bug and it's incredible that appears that hp doesn't want to fix it.

Tutor
wpl7
Message 4 of 5 (4,641 Views)

Well, thank you for making me feel better about it! haha

Student
HPBoondoggle
Message 5 of 5 (1,064 Views)

By laserjet 4040 cost $500.  A full set of new ink caritrdges cost $350.  "Printer not connected" message simply pops up any old time, whenever it feels like it, and there is no solution other than shut it off and hope for the best.  Usually that doesn't work.  Printer is "out of ink" and goes on strike when IT says it's out of ink, not when YOU decide it's out of ink.  Millions of customers have this problem.  HP offers no support, no suggestions, not the slightest hint that they care.  Their products are expensive, inferior, shoddy and the company is poorly run.  

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation