Question

Intern
quiller
Message 1 of 24 (15,422 Views)
Accepted Solution

HP 4850 Scanjet Windows 7 drivers still not available.

Posted in wrong spot and moved here 1/6/10

I have a new HP e9260f with an older but perfectly ok Scanjet 4850.  The Image Zone 5.3 software will not load on Windows.  The 4850 driver does not work although the windows basic driver seems to be ok.  Is there an upgrade available for the Image Zone software and a specifice Windows 7 driver for the 4850?

Update:  Online support said HP is working on this issue and drivers will be available "soon".  I'm a bit surprised that it takes this long.  I don't have a legacy scanner and W7 has been available, at least in Beta form, for more than a year.  I hope the automatic HP notification system works.

Intern
quiller
Message 2 of 24 (15,396 Views)

Re: HP 4850 Scanjet Windows 7 drivers still not available. - FIXED

This is now fixed.  Thanks HP.  Here is their email response...

Hello Phil,

Thank you for contacting Hewlett-Packard's Commercial Solutions Center.

From the details provided in your e-mail, I understand that you want to install the full software for your HP Scanjet 4850 Photo Scanner works with Windows 7 Operating System.

I understand how upsetting this could be, let me straighten this for you right away.

Phil, at present there is no particular software for your scanner works with Windows 7 Operating System. However, as a workaround you may try downloading Vista software and then change then compatibility mode to Vista and then install the software in Windows 7 Operating System.

I suggest that you follow the below steps to install the full software in Windows 7 Operating System:

1. Please click on the below link to download the full software:

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software8/COL17370/sj-50009-1/setup_full_4800.exe

Please click on the above link and then Save it on Desktop.
2. Once it gets saved on desktop, please right click on the Setup_full_4800.exe file and then click on Properties.
3. Click on Compatibility mode.
4. Give check mark for “Run this program in compatibility mode for” and then select Vista.
5. Click on Apply and then Ok.
6. Install the Setup_full_4800.exe file on your computer works with Windows 7 Operating System.

Once you have installed the scanner software in Windows 7 Operating System, please try scan from HP Solution Center and then let us know the results.

Student
SBALAK9753
Message 3 of 24 (15,134 Views)

Is this also valid for Scanjet 4300C? Or is there another download available?

Honor Student
BROnstott
Message 4 of 24 (14,772 Views)

Win 7 has been out for quite a while now - when is HP going to release a version of Solution Center that is compatible with Win 7?

Intern
HAL9001
Message 5 of 24 (14,741 Views)

The updated software for all of the Scanjets that are slated for Win 7 support has been posted.  Please go to www.hp.com and click on Support and Drivers, then choose Download drivers and software (and firmware), type in your product name and click on Go.  That should take you to a page with all the supported operating systems listed.  If Win 7 is listed you're in luck if not.....   unfortunately your scanner will not be supported in Win 7

Here's the support page for the 4850 - 

Scanjet 4850 Software and Drivers Page

I work for HP but my opinions belong to me.
Student
MichaelJames
Message 6 of 24 (14,521 Views)

Not fixed

Tried this.

Downloaded as instructed to desktop

Selected Vista (Rather that Vista SP2)

Tried to install

Refused to install

'The operating systen on this computer is not supported'

System is MS Windows 7

Need a staightforward  Windows 7 version of Solution Centre

When will this be available

Student
Bobwired
Message 7 of 24 (14,473 Views)

Re: HP 4850 Scanjet Windows 7 drivers still not available.

This worked for me on my Windows 7 (64-bit) ASUS A80/81 laptop.

My scanner is the HP ScanJet 4850.

First I had to clean up previous install attempts made from the original 4850 CD.

Then I followed HP's directions as listed in quiller's post but saved the downloaded file (full version) to my Downloads folder in case I had to run it more than once or again in the future.

Before running the file I changed the Compatibility to VISTA (not SP1 or SP2) and then went back and right-clicked on it to "Run as Administrator".

First time was a charm!

But I have to agree with others ... with Windows 7 now being the predominate OS, HP should be releasing Windows 7 software and drivers for their legacy hardware.

Student
tallboyrip
Message 8 of 24 (14,308 Views)

I've not tried quiller's solution yet - but I will.

Like many users, I have been patiently waiting for HP to provide a full scanning app for the 4850 when connected to a PC running Win 7, since November last year.

Fortunately my 64-bit Win 7 OS is the professional edition, so I have set up Virtual XP mode on it and have been running the 4850 without any problems with the XP version of HP Solution Centre running under Virtual XP.

If you have not used Virtual XP under Win 7, it's worth a try. (Assuming you have the Professional edition).  However, one 'downside' to it is that you have to load / run a separate AV software suite from the one you use with Win 7.  (I checked this out with Kaspersky, since I run KIS and they confirmed that the version I have running under Win 7 will not provide full protection when running in XP Mode.)

tallboyrip

Student
Busia36
Message 9 of 24 (13,892 Views)

I am also trying to run the 4850 on new hp pc win 7.  HP phone support downloaded drivers for my 7310 All In One printer and then the driver for the scanjet 4850.  I finally got the printer to work and the Solutions center to appear by uninstalling   and then reinstalling the driver that I had saved and then saved to disc.  But now I cannot uninstal the driver for the 4850 it is not listed in the uninstal/change list.  I believe it is wound up in the printer Solutions  area.  If I uninstall that I will lose the All in One I think.  Come to think of it I did do that and it did not go away!!!  I would like to try the vista install mentioned here.  But I know I have to get rid of that driver download first.  Can someone tell me if I am on the right track and tell me how to do it.  Could it be under a different name that I am not recognizing?   Do you think I can have both of these items installed at the same time  or will they not work correctly.  The driver is an icon on my desktop right now.  I have looked in properties but that does not give me a clue as to where it might be.  Also can't find it listed in programs.

Honor Student
beandi
Message 10 of 24 (13,828 Views)

I tried this and got the scanner to scan. But I can't get the Image Zone to work. Any advice?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation