Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
HP 6830
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Originally this printer was used on a system with Windows 8.1( 64-bit )and it worked flawlessy. Following the upgrade to Windows 10 however it had some intermittent printing issues. Knowing upgrades can cause problems I unistalled/reinstalled it and everything seemed ok. However, the same issue has reappeared right away.

Everything will work ok for a bit then the printer just stops working. Can't scan or print( from printer control panel itself or desktop control panel ). The printer has to be powered off/on for it to start working again.

Have run HP Scan program that came with it and have made sure drivers are updated. The problem persists however. What can be done short of buying a new printer? Please help.

EDIT - forgot to mention it is setup to work wirelessly and not via USB if that matters.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Just wanted to give an update...

I "think" the printer is now working properly? It has been a couple days without the issue returning since I worked on it which is longer than it has gone in the past. I am not accepting the solution yet however as I want to give it a couple more days to be sure. I have thought it was fixed before and the printing issues came back.

Notes:

1 - I did not do the Uncheck SMTP procedure outlined above ^^^. I didn't quite read the steps right when working on it( this is a family member's printer actually and not mine ). I spaced on where it says to right click on the printer icon and then click printer  properties. I guess my mind went to just properties. I didn't realize there was an actual printer properties to select. Printer properties is higher up in the long menu list that opens on right click( I have an HP printer too and tried it once I realized my error ). I guess I am so used to clicking the general properties option I just blanked on looking for printer properties and thought it meant to click regular properties.

Because I clicked the wrong properties option I couldn't find the ports tab( but I was able to find the IP address - it was correct )so I thought maybe I was given steps for a different printer or version of windows by mistake. So, I just moved on to other options. If anyone else reads this thread trying to fix the issues I had be sure and look higher in the list for printer properties and select that NOT regular properties which is at the very bottom. 

2 - The KB update suggested was already there and installed. However, it had been installed shortly after the Windows 10 upgrade which is when the issues with printing suddenly appeared. So I uninstalled it, manually downloaded the update, and reinstalled it just in case it had been corrupted during the original automatic install. It is a HUGE update and I have seen those get screwed up in automatic updates in the past.

3 - I decided to uninstall the printer and all software and start from scratch again as well. In doing so I found a couple HP entries that were dated before the previous unistall/reinstall attempts so they were not uninstalling like they should have and I thought they had. That meant they weren't updating during reinstall either. Got me to thinking maybe one of these was somehow behind the issues?

I had to use 3rd party uninstall and registry/hard drive cleaning software to remove all traces of those couple programs as Windows Add/Remove wouldn't uninstall them at all or if it did it left bits and pieces everywhere.  One in particular( HP Support Solutions Framework )would not uninstall period until I downloaded specific software that allowed for a forced uninstall. Took a long time to get everthing HP related off the machine.

Once I finally was able to remove all traces of the old HP installation, and went forward with the reinstall using the latest drivers/software off of HP.com, I noticed the reinstall took a bit longer and I was asked to do more to get the printer up and running. I think some of those programs/registry entires that were giving me such a hard time to remove were corrupting the previous reinstalls I had tried when the printing issues cropped up after the Windows 10 upgrade. Once they were gone the reinstall went properly. Or so it seems, this is just a guess.

Anyway, as said the above ^^^ "appears" to have corrected the issues. I won't know for sure until the printer is used for a few more days. It is used a lot so if it isn't fixed I am sure I will hear about it shortly. After earleir attempts to fix it the issues would already have resurfaced long before now so I am hopeful we finally have it.  I will come back if all is well and will accept the solution OR post that it didn't actually work. Just don't want to do it prematurely.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Greetings @gsthunder,

Thanks for accessing the HP Support Forums for extra support! I see that you are having issues printing and scanning since upgrading to Windows 10. Thanks for providing all the detailed information. I will do my best to assist you with this issue.

I have provided some steps to try, to see if we can resolve this issue.

Uncheck the SMTP:
From Devices and Printers, right-click on your printer and left click Printer Properties.
Click the Ports tab.
Then click Configure Port.(check the IP address to make sure it matches the printers)
Remove the checkmark from SNMP Status Enabled, and click OK.
Try printing again. If problems persist, repeat these steps and re-enable SNMP.

You may have to run the Windows update to resolve this issue: Printer is Offline. Go to Step 2: Install Windows update KB3147458 (Windows 10 only)

I would recommend trying these steps listed in this document if the issue persists: After Windows 10 Upgrade, Printer Problems Occur.

If this helps you to reach a solution, please click the "Accept as Solution" button. If you wish, to say thanks for my effort to help, click the "Thumbs Up" to give me a Kudos.
Please let me know the outcome. Have a nice day!.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

Click the Thumbs Up below to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Thanks for the help. Will give this all a try and let you know how it goes. Will be a few days before I can get to it but will asap.

HP Recommended

Just wanted to give an update...

I "think" the printer is now working properly? It has been a couple days without the issue returning since I worked on it which is longer than it has gone in the past. I am not accepting the solution yet however as I want to give it a couple more days to be sure. I have thought it was fixed before and the printing issues came back.

Notes:

1 - I did not do the Uncheck SMTP procedure outlined above ^^^. I didn't quite read the steps right when working on it( this is a family member's printer actually and not mine ). I spaced on where it says to right click on the printer icon and then click printer  properties. I guess my mind went to just properties. I didn't realize there was an actual printer properties to select. Printer properties is higher up in the long menu list that opens on right click( I have an HP printer too and tried it once I realized my error ). I guess I am so used to clicking the general properties option I just blanked on looking for printer properties and thought it meant to click regular properties.

Because I clicked the wrong properties option I couldn't find the ports tab( but I was able to find the IP address - it was correct )so I thought maybe I was given steps for a different printer or version of windows by mistake. So, I just moved on to other options. If anyone else reads this thread trying to fix the issues I had be sure and look higher in the list for printer properties and select that NOT regular properties which is at the very bottom. 

2 - The KB update suggested was already there and installed. However, it had been installed shortly after the Windows 10 upgrade which is when the issues with printing suddenly appeared. So I uninstalled it, manually downloaded the update, and reinstalled it just in case it had been corrupted during the original automatic install. It is a HUGE update and I have seen those get screwed up in automatic updates in the past.

3 - I decided to uninstall the printer and all software and start from scratch again as well. In doing so I found a couple HP entries that were dated before the previous unistall/reinstall attempts so they were not uninstalling like they should have and I thought they had. That meant they weren't updating during reinstall either. Got me to thinking maybe one of these was somehow behind the issues?

I had to use 3rd party uninstall and registry/hard drive cleaning software to remove all traces of those couple programs as Windows Add/Remove wouldn't uninstall them at all or if it did it left bits and pieces everywhere.  One in particular( HP Support Solutions Framework )would not uninstall period until I downloaded specific software that allowed for a forced uninstall. Took a long time to get everthing HP related off the machine.

Once I finally was able to remove all traces of the old HP installation, and went forward with the reinstall using the latest drivers/software off of HP.com, I noticed the reinstall took a bit longer and I was asked to do more to get the printer up and running. I think some of those programs/registry entires that were giving me such a hard time to remove were corrupting the previous reinstalls I had tried when the printing issues cropped up after the Windows 10 upgrade. Once they were gone the reinstall went properly. Or so it seems, this is just a guess.

Anyway, as said the above ^^^ "appears" to have corrected the issues. I won't know for sure until the printer is used for a few more days. It is used a lot so if it isn't fixed I am sure I will hear about it shortly. After earleir attempts to fix it the issues would already have resurfaced long before now so I am hopeful we finally have it.  I will come back if all is well and will accept the solution OR post that it didn't actually work. Just don't want to do it prematurely.

HP Recommended

Final Update...

I apologize for not coming back sooner. I have been busy and haven't had a chance until now.

It appears the printing issue has been resolved. The problem(s) experienced have not returned despite a lot of printing projoects. So I do believe we finally have it fixed.

Thank you to ^^^ for the assist. It is appreciated.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.