HP 7520 Double sided (duplex) scanning possible? If so, how do I make it work? (4890 Views)
Honor Student
Readytoflow
Message 1 of 8 (4,890 Views)
Accepted Solution

HP 7520 Double sided (duplex) scanning possible? If so, how do I make it work?

How can I scan a doublesided document (A4) with the HP Photosmart 7520?

I Prefer to scan directly to mail but I never see the option to scan the other side of a document. Not only with scan to mail, but also with the other options (scan to computer, USB)

On several reviews I've read the following:

"The Photosmart can print and scan in duplex (both sides of the page), but duplex scanning requires two passes"

But how does that work? I Guess it doesn't mean that I have to make two separate scans (that wouldn't be duplex offcourse).

But at no point i'm given the option to turn the document and resume scanning.

Any ideas on how to use duplex (sort of) scanning with the HP 7520?

Regents Professor
jason_h
Message 2 of 8 (4,859 Views)

The Photosmart 7520 does offer the ability to duplex scan.

Are you scanning from the Front Panel of the printer or from the software on the computer? Duplex scanning has to be initiated from the software.

To duplex scan from the software on the PC:
* Open the HP Printer Assistant software for the Photosmart 7520
* Select Scan a Document or Photo
* Select Document to PDF (or Email as PDF)
* On the right side of the screen is a list of drop down menus and one of them is the source of the scan
* Select to scan from the Automatic Document Feeder
* After selecting this option, a check box will appear below this option to turn on Dulpex scanning
* Set the other options as desired and start the scan

If you are scanning multiple pages that need to be duplex scanned, then the printer will scan the full list of one side and then instruct you on how to reset the pages for scanning the remaining sides. The unit does require a 'flip and resume' style method of duplex scanning. Hope this helps.
-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------

I am not an HP employee.
Honor Student
Readytoflow
Message 3 of 8 (4,851 Views)

Re: HP 7520 Double sided (duplex) scanning possible? If so, how do I make it work?

[ Edited ]

Thx! Thought it was possible from the front panel too? Unfortunately it doesn't work that way.

But glad to see that it is possible while using the software.

(I don;t know how to provide kudos?, but I did mark it as a solution)

Regents Professor
jason_h
Message 4 of 8 (4,834 Views)

The front panel is missing the options to initiate the duplex scan. I attempted this method as well with the 7520 near me.

To give a kudos:
Hover your mouse over the white start next to Kudos and it should become a hand courser. Once you see the hand, click on the white star to provide the kudos.

Happy Printing/Scanning
-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------

I am not an HP employee.
Honor Student
BartAltena
Message 5 of 8 (3,937 Views)

Re: HP 7520 Double sided (duplex) scanning possible? If so, how do I make it work?

It is clear that duplex scanning from the console is not supported, hence you will need to initiate the scan from the PC to be able to scan duplex from the document feeder. My conclusion is the printer firmware is lacking propper functionality to enable advanced scanning features as duplex scanning. 

Where can I file a RFC (Request For Enhancement)?

I would like this feature being implemented in one of the next firmware releases. 

Regents Professor
jason_h
Message 6 of 8 (3,883 Views)

Hey BartAltena,

You are correct that the front panel lacks this feature at this time.  I do not work for a firmware team within HP and cannot say whether it will come in the future or not.  However, what I can do is bring this information up with one of the engineering teams to see what can be done.  No guarantees, but I will check with the people who handle this type of information.

I will post back with further information after I get a response from this team.

Jason

I am not an HP employee.
Honor Student
BartAltena
Message 7 of 8 (3,878 Views)

Thank you very much Jason,

I keep an eye on this topic. Cheers.

I guess you'll help a lot of people when this get implemented in the next firmware.

Cheers,

Bart

Top Student
allanpeter
Message 8 of 8 (2,671 Views)

I'm not finding the HP Printer Assistant software under HP Utility or Image Capture (Mac OS X)

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation