Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended

Thank you for the reply and correct everything went through with no errors and at the end there was the printer icon on the desktop. 

Not sure if it's any different but in the add/remove programs screen it calls it the basic version...not sure the exact wording as i'm not currently at that pc.

HP Recommended

HI,

It is installed properly.  In the Add/Remove program, it's called the "Basic Device Software."

For scanning needs, the following link would be useful:

Scanning for Dummies
http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Scanning-Faxing-and-Copying/Quick-guide-to-your-Scanning-needs/m-p/5625...

Hope that helps!

I am an HP Employee. Although I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Click Helpful = Yes to say Thank You.
Question / Concern Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"

HP Recommended

Thanks but sadly it does not help, i cannot get the option to show up in the software to "scan to computer" .

Right now i have them using the software to do the scanning but it's far easier and more convienant for them to just hit the scan button on the printer and have it sent to the pc.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Scan to Computer needs to be enabled.

How to Scan to Computer

Once you have installed the software:

1. Click on the printer Icon (on your desktop) and it will bring up the HP Printer Assistant.
2. Under the Scan menu, there is a “Manage Scan to Computer”, click on that.
3. Make sure that you “Enable” Scan to Computer. Also make sure the tab “Automatically start Scan to Computer when I log on to Windows” is checked if you want to make this feature permanent. (the following video will show you how)

Scan to Computer

Hope that helps!

HP Recommended
Thank you again for your help but that "manage scan to computer" is not present, just the scan document icon is there.
HP Recommended

Hi @bennettj007

Are you using USB connection?

If you are, there is no need to Enable the Scant o Computer, you PC will show up on the printer front panel when you try a Scan to Computer.

Thanks,

HP Recommended

yes they are using the USB connection and when i select the PC it thinks for a bit then says it can't communicate with the PC which through google searches led me here. i won't be able to get back over there until monday to get the exact error but i remember it being something about not being able to communicate with the PC even though i could start a scan from the PC and print to it just fine.

Thank you again for all your help so far, i really appreciate it.

HP Recommended

Been scanning from printer to my Windows 10 Surface Books (via USB connection) for 10 months.  Occassionally have to scan from Printer Assistant instead of printer itself but this time is different.  HP Printer Assistant app is gone. I can still print but cannot scan. I suspect the big Windows 10 upgrade may be the culprit. 

Corrective action in this thread will not work since I have no printer icon on my desktop. In my app list I have 'HP Officejet Pro 8600' but clicking it just opens window asking if I want to add a printer.

In my tray there is an X over scan icon with message "Scan to Computer currently unavailable"

Any thoughts? 

HP Recommended

Hi @oneplusky & @bennettj007

Can you try this alternative Scan Software:

HP Scan Extended

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/scanners/HPScanExt/HPScanExt.msi

Once it's downloaded and installed, go to Start > All Programs > HP > HP Scan Extended > Run "HP Scan Extended"

Let us know if that works.

HP Recommended

Hi Greenturtle,

Thank you for reply and suggestion. Before I try alternative scanning software, do you know anything about status of HP Printer Assistant program?  I am puzzled why it disappeared from my PC (suspect Windows 10 update) but even more puzzled why I cannot just download it from HP website. Does HP no longer support HP Printer Assistant for the Officejet Pro 8600 Plus series?

Thank you.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.