Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

In our business, we have the need to copy our work orders with whatever form of payment is provided by our clients. The HP 8620 will not copy currency-it starts to copy as usual, but stops and cancels prior to actually printing out a copy of the money with the work order. This happens only when copying currency, on either black and white copying or color copying mode, and not when copying checks or anything else. 

Is there a way to bypass what I can only assume is an anti-counterfeit setting?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The US restricts copying currency at full size, but allows at reduced or expanded sizes, single sided only.  See the page here:  http://www.secretservice.gov/money_illustrations.shtml 

I just tried on my Officejet 8620 and sure enough, it stopped printing a $20 bill within an inch or so, whether the bill was loaded perpendicular or at a 45 degree angle to the sides.  

I tried making a copy at 50% size, this did copy correctly.  I did not try other sizes, but the law would allow <75% or > 150% copies.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

The US restricts copying currency at full size, but allows at reduced or expanded sizes, single sided only.  See the page here:  http://www.secretservice.gov/money_illustrations.shtml 

I just tried on my Officejet 8620 and sure enough, it stopped printing a $20 bill within an inch or so, whether the bill was loaded perpendicular or at a 45 degree angle to the sides.  

I tried making a copy at 50% size, this did copy correctly.  I did not try other sizes, but the law would allow <75% or > 150% copies.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

Thanks!

HP Recommended

Yeah I noticed that years ago. Not sure how the copier "knows" it is currency but you cannot do it. 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.