06-10-2009 04:05 PM
I have installed and reinstalled the software several times. The Digital imaging Monitor is present. I've even downloaded the Full feature OfficeJet Software and Driver. All to no avail. I am unable to scan a document to my pc. I can print to the printer. I start the process from the HP Solution Center. The document goes through the scanner and I am asked if I have any more documents to scan. I select No and then I get an error message that says "there was an internal communications error. Please select ok and close the software." No document is saved to the computer.
I have tried to save the file, edit in Word (Word does not open) and other options. Nothing works.
A chat technician told me that the HP Solution Center is not compatible with IE 8 or Acrobat Reader 8. Does that make sense?
06-19-2009 11:42 PM
Actually its compatible with the IE8 and Adobe Reader. This is a communication problem between youre printer and computer for the scanning.
- Try this one, insert the CD and browse the files inside the CD.
- Locate the folder UTIL and open it, open also the CCC folder
- try todouble click on the UNINSTALL_L1.bat then a black window will open and ask you to press enter to continue the uninstall. After the uninstallation is complete check the box that says click here to restart later then click finish.
- do same with the UNINSTALL_L2.bat then restart youre computer afterwards.
On the printer its self also we will performed a semi full reset also, follow this steps:
1. press and hold the * & # buttons on the printer, it will display a lot of * and #(something like this: *******#######) then you can release the buttons.
2. press the numbers 1,2 and 3 in sequence.
3. press the right arrow , navigate and look for reset menu then press ok.
4 select the Semi-Full reset then wait until the printer will turn off, then turn on the printer.
5. printer will realign and will print also the alignment page.
---- Last Steps ----
- after you restart the computer
- insert the disc and tried to install the osftware again, just follow the regular installation
- after the installation is complete
- try scanning
let me know if you still have the same problems...
06-20-2009 07:31 AM
Raven, thanks for getting back to me. I followed your instructions including the hardware fix. However, when I tried to reinstall the software I received a "fatal installation error". I tried again with the same results. So I'm basically out of the water.
I have been in touch with HP including e-mails, chats, and online for a total of over 50 hours to no avail. My problem has been referred to engineering but I haven't heard from them yet.
So in the mean time I just wait. Buying a Brother printer is looking better and better all the time.
I have to say the last two online sessions were with agents in the Phillipines and the experience was very good. They spoke great english and they really know their stuff. I watched them work for 4 hours each of three times and they did many of the things (and more) that you told me to do. Not the hardware reset though.
Oh well, just sitting and waiting.
06-23-2009 06:02 PM
06-23-2009 06:07 PM
06-13-2011 11:11 AM
I have the same printer (J6480) with the same issue. It just won't scan anymore (it did scan and then just stopped scanning) in either wireless mode or using the USB printer cable. I've installed and removed everything numerous times. No dice - still won't scan. My son's identical J6480 is the same way, prints fine - no scan. We have our J6480's connected to identical, new iMac's using OX 10.6.7.
Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
Why doesn't HP just fix this issue and send out an update? This seems to be a common problem on both pc's and Mac's.
07-10-2011 11:49 AM
I have the same problem. I have never been able to get the "Scan to computer" feature to work on this printer. I have always just ended up scanning to a memory card and then put them memory card in my laptop. However, last week, I installed a new printer at someone else's house, and the Scan to Computer feature worked (after "activating" that feature -- why isn't it automatic?). Anyway, that reminded me how nice it would be if this feature worked -- and I found this thread. Please post any recent suggestions for Windows 7 and IE 9 environments.
07-10-2011 02:11 PM
An update to the above post. I now have it working. I uninstalled the old driver, and installed the FULL driver from the HP website. I also installed the first "update" from the hp driver site, which says it fixes something about scanning.
I am using Windows 7 64-bit on an hp computer purchased in Feb 2011.
After that, I was able to open up the HP Solutions Center, and use the "scan" features there, but more importantly, on the printer, the Scan To menu now lists my computer. So, maybe they've fixed the drivers. I didn't see a way to update any firmware int the printer itself -- I would be interested in how to do that if anyone knows. Thanks.
- Testing Your HP Fax Machine with the HP Fax Test Service
- A Communication or Connection Error Displays When Scanning
- Scan Using Full Feature HP Software (Windows 10)
- HP Photosmart 7510, 7515, ENVY 110, 114 Printers - Restoring eFax Service
- HP All-in-One Products - A 'Scanner Failure' Message Displays on the All-in-One Control Panel and You Cannot Scan, Copy, or Fax