Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended

I have an HP C4280 Photosmart All-in-One.  For several months now, I have been able to do everything except scan.  Everytime I try to scan I get the "HP CUE Scanning Flow Component has stopped working...." error.  I have been trying to work with HP Tech Support about this for about a week now.  I have tried the uninstall/reinstall of the software - didn't work.  I have tried every suggestion they have sent me, even their suggestion to install a patch that clearly was not intended for my printer model.

Nothing has worked. 

I can scan in Paint -- so what?  Photo scanning in Paint is pathetic.

Does anyone out there have a REAL fix for this?  Please help.  Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I am not a tech geek so bear with me I am going to walk through it on my computer and tell you how to in theory get where you want to get.  Hopefully it works, let me know either way.  Unfortunately for you, I lovate files via the explore feature so that is the only way I can find it again.  Hopefully this works for you.  Here we go:

Right click on the Wdws Icon in the bottom left hand corner of your computer (same as the start button for other features with a left click)

Click on Explore

Find and click on Program files

Find and click on HP folder or Hewlett Packard Folder

Find and Click on Digital Imaging Folder

Double Click on BIN folder

Find the following file:  hpqscnvw

Double click on that file (hpqscnvw)

Your HP scanning feature should open 

I am thinking I may just create a shortcut of this and launch from that instead of HP solutions center if HP cannot fix this issue. 

Let me know if this works for you. 

"Any time you have the opportunity to make a difference in this world, and you don't, then you are wasting your time on Earth." - Roberto Clemente

View solution in original post

58 REPLIES 58
HP Recommended
I am now also in your world.  I get the same error with an HP Office Jet Pro L7555.  I spent five +_ hours trying to fix, download, and in chat sessions today to try and correct with HP to no avail.  I will now get "contacted" within three days after someone else reviews it.  The only difference is that mine worked fine five months with an old laptop I had operating with  Windows XP Professional.  I recently bought a new computer with Windows Vista, installed the appropriate drivers got your error message, uninstlled once on my own and twice with HP reps to no avial getting the same error message you are getting.  I htink HP knows it has a compatibility problem with Windows Vista but does not know how to resolve it.  What is your operating system?  There also is another way to scan, still a pain in the buttocks, but easier than going though paint becasue it uses the HP scanning device mechanism but bypasses HP Solution Center.  Let me know if you want that method and I will try and walk you though it. 
"Any time you have the opportunity to make a difference in this world, and you don't, then you are wasting your time on Earth." - Roberto Clemente
HP Recommended

I would love it!!  I too am running Vista.  I received my printer at the same time as I got the new computer - less than a year ago.  It worked fine for a short time, but then started acting up.  I have been "working" with HP tech support all week and still, nothing is resolved.  I agree -- I think they know they  have an issue w/Vista + their printers and they just don't know what to do about it. 

If you have another way of scanning w/o me having to go through Paint...that would be stellar.  Fire away!  Thank you.

HP Recommended

I am not a tech geek so bear with me I am going to walk through it on my computer and tell you how to in theory get where you want to get.  Hopefully it works, let me know either way.  Unfortunately for you, I lovate files via the explore feature so that is the only way I can find it again.  Hopefully this works for you.  Here we go:

Right click on the Wdws Icon in the bottom left hand corner of your computer (same as the start button for other features with a left click)

Click on Explore

Find and click on Program files

Find and click on HP folder or Hewlett Packard Folder

Find and Click on Digital Imaging Folder

Double Click on BIN folder

Find the following file:  hpqscnvw

Double click on that file (hpqscnvw)

Your HP scanning feature should open 

I am thinking I may just create a shortcut of this and launch from that instead of HP solutions center if HP cannot fix this issue. 

Let me know if this works for you. 

HP Recommended

Thank you!! Rather than a solution, it is the ONLY  workaround that I have found so far that actually works! 

You are marvelous, Wayne.

Take care!  ...and THANKS AGAIN!

HP Recommended

Unfortunately, when I tried this on my new HP Deskjet F4272, it didn't work.  Instead, I got the message that the scanner could not be initiallised, because it could not be found, perhaps because the cables were not properly attached, or that the software might be improperly inastalled, or that there might be a device conflict.  None of these appeared, as far as I know, to be the case.

However, from 

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/psg/board/message?board.id=Scan&message.id=892

I had already learned and successfully tested out that by double clicking on   "hpiscnapp.exe" ,   also to be found in the "bin" file referred to by Wayne, a result similar to his might be achieved.  I have created a shortcut on my desktop, & hope that that will work in future, at least for scanning pictures. 

All I have to do now is find a solution that will allow me to scan documents for OCR and  later editing.

Any ideas, please?

JJ

HP Recommended

I do not have the file you have noted below ("hpiscnapp.exe)" in my bin folder.  I am assuming the software files are slightly different due to different models or different operating systems they are working with in the computer / printer / scanner / copier. 

I have decided to inflict pain on myself again and contacted HP Support on line today to again try and resolve the issue at hand rather thatn circvent the software since their are some limitations in scanning related to the fix previously  Ihave submitted.  After 2 1/2 hours nothing got resolved as all the "fixes" the HP represenative asked for me to be done are in their standard repertoire of fixes as they had all already been tried on my computer.  Supposedly others will be contacting me.  IF anything ever gets actually resolved I will post the corrections. 

I still believe the reality is that the HP software is not compatible with Windows Vista since I had absolutely no scanning issues previously when connected to a computer with the XP Professional operating system.  I have no idea whether to blame Vista (who will not support this issue as they per se "blame" HP and are putting all their money into marketing Vista as "wonderful") or HP which apparently has not been able to correctly write a software program to be compatible with Windows Vista. 

HP Recommended
One of my co-workers told me that the steps mentioned below helped him resolve the issue many times. Though he did it on XP computers, he never tried those steps on Vista. So it may be worth a try. Take a backup of teh registry before attempting these steps.

Error: "HP Cue Scanning Flow component has encountered a problem and needs to be closes".

If you encounter this error message during the trouble shooting, please follow the steps below:

1. Go to registry.
2. Go to HKEY_ Local_ Machine\Software\Hewlett-Packard\DigitalImaging\
3. Click on the Digital Imaging Folder and in the Right Hand Side Pane and check if the String Value "ProfileWritePath" is present and Value is set to %APPDATA%\HP\Digital Imaging\Data\Destination
4. If the Sting Value is not present right click and then click on new and then click on String Value Name it as "ProfileWritePath" and then right click on that and click on Modify and make sure that the value is set to "%APPDATA%\HP\Digital Imaging\Data\Destination" and close the registry editor.
5. Then go to My computer C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\HP\Digital Imaging\Data and check if the Destination folder is present. If not create a new folder and name it as "Destination".
6. If you are unable to locate the Application Data folder under All users, click on Tools and then click on Folder Option. In the Folder Options Window click on the View tab and under Hidden Files and Folders make sure that "Show Hidden Files and Folders" is checked and then click on Apply and then click on OK..
7. Then Make sure that the same that the HP\Digital Imaging\Data\Destination folder is present under all user profiles Application Data folder.

Then try to scan and you should be able to scan.

Note: Please do not try to uninstall or reinstall the software. The moment you get the above error message, try following the steps given above and that should resolve the issue.

And in Vista, the address to use in Setp 5 would be C:\Users\\Roaming\AppData\HP\Digital Imaging\Data

try this, and let me know what happens.
I am an ex-HP Employee. Currently inactive on the forum.
HP Recommended

Dexter - I unfortunately cannot find the Registry files you refer to in your reply.  I did see this correction posted prior on the forum pages.  At that time and today, HP representatives do not and will not support registry entry changes as per them this will interfere with other HP functionality of the software.  Whether or not that is true, I have no idea.  In any case, I was on the phone for over 3.5 hours today with HP representatives who took remote control of my computer and I still get, after they hung up on me at the end, the same error message "HP CUE Scanning Flow Component has stopped working".  In other words the same old "fixes" of uninstalling and reinstalling" the software two to three times today still has not corrected the underlying problem. 

HP representatives did FINALLY admit today that they recognize they have a problem with HP software compatibility with Windows Vista and are workigng on the problem  Of course, I figure that by the time it gets corrected, if it ever does, my warranty on the product will be expired and/or the machine will be obsolete. 

HP Recommended

I recently noted this issue on my computer. I have a HP Photosmart C4480. After trying to resolve by myself the problem, I finally gave up and contacted HP Chat Support. Although the two representatives that I chatted with were kind and responsive, they were not able to fix my situation.

I have unistalled and installed back the application without any success.

It appears that HP will not pay any attention to this compatibly issue. I can scan using Paint or the HP program that it is found on the bin folder. However, if you have a product, you want it to work completely. The Solution Center allowed me to scan into PDF format, with Paint or the other HP Scan feature, this option is lost; and I don't plan to buy Adobe Acrobat Professional.

Lets face it.... we are screwed with this; the only thing we can hope is that in the near fetus, HP will issue a patch to fix this problem.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.