Question

Student
MissDellaney
Message 1 of 34 (15,472 Views)
Accepted Solution

HP Deskjet 2050 Scanner Won't Scan to Computer

[ Edited ]

Product: HP Deskjet 2050 All-In-One J510 (I'm not sure if it's a J510a or a J510c)

Error Message: "Scanner communication cannot be established.  Ensure your product is powered on, check the connection, and ensure your network is functioning properly.  If these conditions are correct, restart the product and try scanning again.
If you installed this printed by IP address, then you might need to update the IP address.  Use the Update IP Address item in the Start menu entry for this printer.
If you are running firewall software, it may be blocking scan communication.  Please visit www.hp.com/go/wirelessprinting for help configuring your firewall."

Changes to system before issue: None.  Literally nothing has changed on my computer.

I've had this scanner/printer for five days.  It scanned perfectly fine for the first three days.  And then I left it for a day.  When I went to use it today, it wouldn't scan, giving me the above error message.

The device is connected to the computer via USB.  It prints perfectly fine, so I know the computer can communicate with it.  It will make photocopies perfectly fine, so I doubt something is with wrong with the scanner itself.  I have a theory it's the drivers or whatever magic the scanning program is.

I have turned the device on and off, unplugged it and plugged it back in, tried plugging the USB cord in every single port on my computer, restarted my computer countless times, uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers and programs, both from the original installation disk, and from the HP site for driver downloads.  I have tried both the J510a and J510c driver downloads.  I have scoured the internet for some sort of solution, and found none that I haven't already tried.

I feel like I've tried every possible fix.  Though, clearly I haven't, since nothing has worked.

I'm at my wits end.   Can someone help me out here?

Thanks in advance...

Honor Student
c4warrior
Message 2 of 34 (15,433 Views)

Re: HP Deskjet 2050 Scanner Won't Scan to Computer

Ah, I ran in to this exact problem today. I'm wondering if their was some driver update that broke the scanner and I just didn't notice.
Provost
pcwizard
Message 3 of 34 (15,391 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi 

HP designed a quick and easy tool that diagnoses and resolves many printing, scanning, and connectivity problems: The HP Print and Scan Doctor. HP recommends that you download and install the Print and Scan Doctor any time you need to troubleshoot a problem with your HP printer from the link below.

Let me know what errors you receive?

http://www.hp.com/go/tools

I am an HP employee.

Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
Student
botanyrabbit
Message 4 of 34 (15,125 Views)

When i try to scan with my new deskjet 2050 it will not work it has the same message as the previous person. i tried a diagnostic and i get stuct on the WiA section i have done everything and cannot get the scanner to work on my windows 7 operating system. it works fine on my wifes XP edition. an anyone help me as i have contacted HP, Windows, Microsoft and ASUS NO ONE CAN HELP!

Provost
pcwizard
Message 5 of 34 (15,119 Views)

Hi botanyrabbit,

Follow the steps below to check the WIA Service:

1. Type services.msc in run or search program and files

2. Scroll down to the WIA Windows Image Acquisition

3. Make sure that this service is running. Click Stop, and then Restart to make sure

4. Restart the computer

Restart the Dependencies services:

1. Click on Start, in Search box type “services” without quotes.

2. Scroll down until you see Windows Image Acquisition (WIA).

3. Double click on it and go to the tab called Dependencies.

4. 2 services should be listed.

5. Exit that window and look for Remote Procedure Call (RPC).

6. Make sure it’s on manual or if it is on Auto, just leave it. Make sure the service is started though.

7. Go to Shell Hardware Detection and Double click.

8. Set the Start up Type as Manual and hit Apply.

9. You should be able to Start the service by hitting Start.

10. Now you are done and the Twain Manager should be working and not give you an error.

Check dependencies or sub dependencies:

Right click on WIA (Windows Imaging Acquisition) selecting first properties and then the dependencies tab. It should list: Remote Procedure Call RPC  and  Shell Harward Detection

Under RPC it will then list DCOM Service Process Launcher and RPC Endpoint Mapper Go back to the main services.msc list and then right click and start all the items listed as dependencies or sub dependencies under WIA

I am an HP employee.

Student
mwsking
Message 6 of 34 (14,550 Views)

Error Message: "Scanner communication cannot be established.  Ensure your product is powered on, check the connection, and ensure your network is functioning properly.  If these conditions are correct, restart the product and try scanning again.
If you installed this printed by IP address, then you might need to update the IP address.  Use the Update IP Address item in the Start menu entry for this printer.
If you are running firewall software, it may be blocking scan communication. 

Changes to system before issue: None.  Literally nothing has changed on my computer.

I've had this scanner/printer for five days.  It scanned perfectly fine for the first three days.  And then I left it for a day.  When I went to use it today, it wouldn't scan, giving me the above error message.

The device is connected to the computer via USB.  It prints perfectly fine, so I know the computer can communicate with it.  It will make photocopies perfectly fine, so I doubt something is with wrong with the scanner itself.  I have a theory it's the drivers or whatever magic the scanning program is.

I have turned the device on and off, unplugged it and plugged it back in, tried plugging the USB cord in every single port on my computer, restarted my computer countless times, uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers and programs, both from the original installation disk, and from the HP site for driver downloads.  I have tried both the J510a and J510c driver downloads.  I have scoured the internet for some sort of solution, and found none that I haven't already tried.

I feel like I've tried every possible fix.  Though, clearly I haven't, since nothing has worked.

I'm at my wits end.   Can someone help me out here?

Thanks in advance...

Provost
pcwizard
Message 7 of 34 (14,535 Views)

Hi mwsking,

Please download and run the (Print and Scan Doctor) from the link below. Let me know what errors you receive?

http://www.hp.com/go/tools

I am an HP employee.

Tutor
CharityRose
Message 8 of 34 (13,531 Views)

You got the problem exactly.  Mine won't scan either.  It just shows coloured lines running the length of the page.

Provost
pcwizard
Message 9 of 34 (13,528 Views)

Hi CharityRose,

What happens when you make a standalone copy from the printer?

I am an HP employee.

Tutor
CharityRose
Message 10 of 34 (13,525 Views)

It used to copy properly, then it started showing lines on the copy and finally, no picture at all, just the lines like when I scan

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation