Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 4500 e-All-in-One

I am having issues with my HP ENVY 4500 e-All-in-One Printer series.  It prints fine but will not scan or copy. On the wireless network or USB connection it does not scan.  Nothing seems to be working - resetting, trouble shooting. 

When I try to do a regular copy, the scanner bar does not light up or move and there is no error code.  The screen on the printer just says "Copying... 1/1" (forever) and it freezes until I pull the plug from the main power outlet.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi! @babs2403, Thanks for stopping by HP forums!

I understand you have issues copying and scanning from your printer.

Don't worry I will try to help you out.

Do you see the scanner bulb glowing on your printer?

Resetting the printer can force some types of scanners to calibrate which might fix the problem.
Remove any items from the scanner glass and automatic document feeder (ADF), then close the scanner lid.
With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the printer and from the wall outlet or power strip.
Wait at least 60 seconds.
Plug the power cord back into a wall outlet.
 NOTE:
HP recommends connecting the printer power cord directly to a wall outlet.
Reconnect the power cord to the printer.
Load the original document or photo, then try to copy.

Refer this article to further troubleshoot copy quality issues on the printer.

I'll watch your reply!

Cheers! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi! @babs2403, Thanks for stopping by HP forums!

I understand you have issues copying and scanning from your printer.

Don't worry I will try to help you out.

Do you see the scanner bulb glowing on your printer?

Resetting the printer can force some types of scanners to calibrate which might fix the problem.
Remove any items from the scanner glass and automatic document feeder (ADF), then close the scanner lid.
With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the printer and from the wall outlet or power strip.
 NOTE:

Refer this article to further troubleshoot copy quality issues on the printer.

I'll watch your reply!

Cheers! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
This worked like magic. Thank you so so much. Although I had to do everything twice - reset to factory setting, turn off, disconnect from main source, plug back to the wall, opened and cleaned the inside, closed and switched back on ........ then repeated this process and when I clicked on start copy, it copied (first time in 3 months)
HP Recommended

Hi @babs2403,

I am really glad that it worked. great troubleshooting. Kudos to you for that. 😉 As @A4Apollo is out of office for the day, I am replying on his behalf. I hope the unit works great and stays healthy for a long time. 🙂

Take care and have a blessed week ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have the same problem as babs2403.  My HP Envy 5530 won't copy or scan.  I can print from the computer.  When I attempt to copy, I get the 'now copying' in a death spiral mode.  If I press the red X to cancel, I get the 'canceling' in a death spiral mode.  I have attempted to disconnect from the computer and the outlet twice.  To no avail, alas.  Any suggestions?

Robert

HP Recommended

@DonRoberto, Thanks for stopping by HP forums!

I understand your printer is unable to copy or scan.

Have you tried reseating the cartridges on your printer?

NOTE:
If the issue persists, continue to the next step.

Refer this article to further troubleshoot copy quality issues.

If the issue still persists after trying out the steps it is a hardware issue, please contact HP support for service options.

Link to contact HP.

Have a wonderful day ahead! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I see no scanner light

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.