Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 120
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

My HP Envy 120 scanner light has stopped working so I can't scan or photocopy.  I've uninstalled and re-installed all HP software (including web services).  PC (Windows 8.1) is communicating with printer.  When I try to scan or photocopy, preview shows page with stripes down it and scanner light not coming in.  This has happened once before - now on my 2nd HP Envy printer!  Last time this happened, HP Support told me how to do a hard re-set and this did solve the problem although printer was also replaced.  I can't remember how to do a hard re-set and don't want to keep having to do this.   Can anyone advise me how to proceed please? 

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi @TFPowick,

I can help you perform a hard reset and troubleshooting the scanner light issue.

To perform a hard reset, leave the printer on and unplug the power cable for 1 minute. While it is unplugged, hold down the power button on the printer for 10-15 seconds to release any built up power, then after the minute has passed, plug the printer back in.

Also, Do you have the printer connected directly to a wall outlet or is it in a surge protector or power bar? Even if you have been using a surge protector/power bar all this time and you feel it is not the cause, please connect it to a wall outlet just so we can eliminate the power source as the root cause.   Issues when Connected to an Uninterruptible Power Supply/Power Strip/Surge Protector

In this document you will see, ISSUE: Problems or issues may arise when an HP LaserJet series printer is connected to an uninterruptible power supply (UPS), a power strip, or a surge protector.

^ This is not limited to Laserjet printers.

If the issue persists, call us again. If you are in Canada or US call 800 474 6836, or you can Contact HP Worldwide.

I hope this helps.

Sunshyn2005
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended
Thank you for your help and replying so quickly. I tried these steps today and unfortunately I still have the problem. I'm returning my printer to the store and will look for an alternative. Thank you again - I'm very grateful for your advice.
HP Recommended

My issue is solved. the problem was the electric source was connected to a UPS  power surge protector. Connecting to the wall outlet fixed the scanning problem. Thanks

HP Recommended
Hi Docw1,
Was your issue also that the scanner light was out?
HP Recommended

Hi Jhill2

Yes My scanner light does not work. Yet if you open the lid while you try to scan there is a blink but the scan is just a black lined page with verical lines

HP Recommended
If I may ask, what exactly fixed it? I have same problem but no scanner light. Huge thanks for your response!
J
HP Recommended

The truth of the matter is it is not fixed. Changing the power source from a surge protector to a wall outlet did help for a short time. Then it became an intermittent problem and for the last while it has never worked. I have not tried a hard reset as suggested in one of the earlier posts but that sounds worth a try. it obviously is a fairly common problem so it is not likely to be a hardware one. It appears to be related to the power supply and for some reason the light blinks and shuts off

HP Recommended
Docw1,
Ok. I think my scanner light/lamp is simply out and not sure any troubleshoot can fix it. Guess it's just poor quality.
Thanks for your reply!
HP Recommended

This probably won't be much help to anyone but I also bought two HP ENVY 120s.  BOTH printers had the exact same scanning problems.  (Power plugged directly into the wall.) HP really screwed up the quality on this unit. Also, BOTH printers have problems with the touch displays not working.  I like the printer features of the HP ENVY 120; but the quality issues make me question whether or not I should purchase any other HP printer.  It would be nice if HP would own their quality issue here and do the right thing for their customers.  

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.