Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

My Envy 4500 e-all in one will not copy, it will print from the computer but not copy??

19 REPLIES 19
HP Recommended

Hi @Patrice01,

I see by your post that you are able to print, but you can't copy. I can help you.

I would do a hard reset to see if that will resolve the issue.
Leave the printer on and unplug the power cable from the printer and wall outlet for 60 seconds.
Then reconnect the power cable to the printer and wall outlet rather than a surge protector.
This ensures the printer is receiving full power and may help this situation.

Update the printer's firmware. HP ENVY 4500 e-All-in-One Printer Drivers.

Select your operating system, click next, click the link for firmware.

Please call our technical support if the issue persists, at 800-474-6836. If you live outside the US/Canada Region, please click the link below to get the support number for your region.
Contact HP.

Have a nice day!
Thank You.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

Click the Thumbs Up below to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

This did not work.  Now I have a printer that doesn't do the complete job what do I do now?

HP Recommended

Hi Patrice01,

Sorry to hear that didn't resolve the copy issue, now you are no longer to print a full document. Is that correct?

Download and run the Print and Scan Doctor. It will diagnose the issue and might automatically resolve it. Find and fix common printer problems using HP diagnostic tools for Windows?

What were the results when you ran the Print and Scan Doctor? (did it print or scan, any error messages)

What operating system are you using? How to Find the Windows Edition and Version on Your Computer.

How is the printer connected? (USB/Ethernet/Wireless)

Thank You.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

When I ran the error message it informed me the scan/copy function is broken.

HP Recommended

Hi @Patrice01 ,

Did you mean you received that error message when you ran the Print and Scan Doctor ?

@Patrice01 wrote:

When I ran the error message it informed me the scan/copy function is broken.

I would suggest to uninstall and reinstall the printer software.

Uninstalling the Printer Software.

HP ENVY 4500 e-All-in-One Printer Drivers.

You should still be able to do a standalone copy though. If you can't then it would be a hardware issue with the printer.

Please provide in detail the results if you are still having issues with printing and scanning from the computer.

What operating system are you using? How to Find the Windows Edition and Version on Your Computer.

If you still can't copy, call our technical support, at 800-474-6836. If you live outside the US/Canada Region, please click the link below to get the support number for your region. Contact HP.

Thank You.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Will print from computer, but won't copy or scan.

HP Recommended

Hi @glendamcd ,

I'd like to help you with not being able to scan or copy with the Envy 4500 printer.

The scanner mechanism bulb might not turn on when trying to scan, copy, or fax.

There are two main causes for this issue: It could be the scanner bulb temperature is too low or there is an internal or external electrical malfunction.

If you haven't already, please try the hard reset.

I would do a hard reset to see if that will resolve the issue.
Leave the printer on and unplug the power cable from the printer and wall outlet for 60 seconds.
Then reconnect the power cable to the printer and wall outlet rather than a surge protector.
This ensures the printer is receiving full power and may help this situation.

Try to copy again.

If the issue persists, please keep the scanner lid open and then press the copy button.

Check if the scanner bulb glows.

Check if the scanner moves freely across the glass.

Let me know the results.

Try these steps to see if it will resolve the issue for not being able to scan.

A 'Connection Error' or 'Computer Not Found' Message Displays When Scanning for HP ENVY 4500 e-All-i...

Please let me know if you require any additional assistance.

Have a fantastic day!
Thank You.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

I had the exact same problem and did hard reset and no fix....lifted lid and the bar glows but doesn't move in one fluid motion....it goes up then down, then back up, then down, etc. I can print from computer but not copy or scan. BIG problem for me. 

HP Recommended

Hi @TeddiR ,

I understand that you are unable to copy and scan. I can help you.

It may be a hardware issue with the printer.

Update the printer's firmware to see if that will help. Software and Drivers.

Select Option 2 and wait for the page to load and then select the link for firmware.

Please let me know the results.

Have a nice day!
Thank You.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.