Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 7640
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

I got a brand new printer HP Envy 7640. Prints beautifully but the scanner doesn't work at all. I can't make copies, I can't scan something and send it by e-mail or save it into my flash drive and of course I can't print using my hp pc. I followed the instructions that I found in the doctor but it doesn't work either. I followed the instructions that I found on this forum and It doesn't work either. What can I do?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
I had to return it because the scanner came broken from factory. So they gave me another printer and so far has been working fine. Thanks.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@adrianvargas87

@adrianvargas87 wrote:

I got a brand new printer HP Envy 7640. Prints beautifully but the scanner doesn't work at all. I can't make copies, I can't scan something and send it by e-mail or save it into my flash drive and of course I can't print using my hp pc. I followed the instructions that I found in the doctor but it doesn't work either. I followed the instructions that I found on this forum and It doesn't work either. What can I do?

Assuming you have installed the Full Feature Software for the printer onto your computer, and assuming that installation was successful, that is, you did not see any errors during the installation, then it sounds like the printer software believes that everything is OK (installed).

The Print and Scan doctor is smart and yet not infallible, that is, the program does not catch every problem.

It is possible that there is a hidden error, installation problem, or something else going on that the automatic check programs cannot detect.

You might remove the existing printer software, reboot, download a fresh copy of the Full Feature Software from the printer's support website, and then manually install the program package.  Reboot / Restart the computer (again) after you install the printer program.

Your Printer:

HP ENVY 7640 e-All-in-One Printer

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Instructions, Help, and Examples:

Install Full Feature Software – Printer

If you have just migrated your computer to Windows 10, see:

• Section titled The Windows 10 Printer Frenzy

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

If all else fails, contact HP for help -- the printer comes with phone support for (usually) the first year:

HP Contact Information – Sales, Technical Support, other Contacts - USA / Canada

Contact HP – USA - Assistance

HP Tech support/ Customer Service – Some English Speaking Countries

Including UK and Europe

ePrint, Instant Ink, and Print Apps (formally Printables)

In USA or Canada, call Cloud Services: 1-855-785-2777

HP Cloud Services and HP Tech Support

When you see a Post that helps you,

Inspires you, provides fresh insight,

Or teaches you something new,

Click the "Thumbs Up" on that Post.

Click my Answer Accept as Solution to help others find Answers.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Sorry. I tried this and it didn't work. I try installing my printer in other computer and the scanner doesn't work either. I tried using it with wireless and usb but it doesn't work. I guess I shouldn't buy another hp printer as the previous one it doesn't work either. 

HP Recommended

@adrianvargas87

I did open the installation package to check; the printer software appears to be set up for your Operating System (Windows 7 - 32bit).

That this printer does not work on either computer (assuming two or more systems on the network) -- and a previous printer (unknown model) does not work on either system is likely not a coincidence - something is preventing the setup / installation / network connection from performing as designed.

That the printer does not indicate any error messages, nor is it able to provide any information about the failure appears to indicate the printer is not at all in contact with the computers -- or that the printer software is not aware of the reason the scanner, print from computer, and copy are not working.  It is unusual for the software to be completely unaware that it is not functional.

• The something could be over enthusiastic Security software that blocks the communication.

• Make sure the printer is plugged into an appropriate wall outlet rather than a Power Strip.

Reference:

Set Up an HP ENVY 7640, Officejet 5740, or Officejet 8040 e-All-in-One Printer

You might want to call HP Technical Support and have an HP Tech look at the issue.

I am sorry I was unable to assist; perhaps another of our Experts will have something to add.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

The previous printer, was working fine until it got the same problem that thousands of users have. The black ink stop working. This is obviously an error from factory. It was a photosmart 5510 and the scanner is still working. The new one Envy 7640 prints beautifully but the scanner never worked and it's new. I tried several things and I'm not going to waste my time anymore. Thank you for your help at least you tried.

HP Recommended

@adrianvargas87

Rats.

If you wish to do so before you box up the printer, you might try Restarting Everything -- and maybe even (after the Restart bits) installing the software again.

You might try switching off your Firewall for a couple of minutes to see if there is a communication issue.

Instructions, Help, and Examples:

Install Full Feature Software – Printer

• Section titled Restart Everything

I suspect I am missing something -- I am sorry I could not help.

Good Luck.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

No computer found message comes up on printer's window.

Print and copy functions work fine

HP Recommended
I had to return it because the scanner came broken from factory. So they gave me another printer and so far has been working fine. Thanks.
HP Recommended

@adrianvargas87

@adrianvargas87 wrote:

Excellent - I am glad the issue is resolved.

Thanks for the update.

Happy Printing!

When you see a Post that helps, inspires, provides fresh insight,

or teaches you something new, click the Thumbs Up on that Post.

Fixed / Answered? Click that post Accept as Solution to help others find Answers.

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.