Question

Top Student
kcroadrash
Message 1 of 11 (252 Views)

HP K80 Scan – Option Not Set

This K80 was originally connected to a Win 98 PC and all functions (printer, fax, copier, scanner) worked OK.  The scan function used the Scan Director.  The K80 was moved to a Vista OS machine and the scan function (only) stopped working.  The Scan Director is apparently no longer available.  Later the printer was moved to a Win 7 (64 bit) PC and the scan function (only) still does not work.  Whenever the scan button is pressed on the printer the printer screen displays “Option Not Set”.

I have attempted to:

1. Uninstall / reinstall the Printer Drivers.  This successfully completes but the scan problem persists.
  2. Use the HP Scan Doctor.  This downloads to my Win 7 PC, but then fails as ‘incompatible’. 

Is there a ‘fix’? 

Is there an alternative way to get the scanner functioning again?  E.g., can I use other software to scan?

Regents Professor
jason_h
Message 2 of 11 (231 Views)

Re: HP K80 Scan – Option Not Set

Hey kcroadrash,

The reason you are receiving the Options Not Set error is because to use the Scan button on the front of the printer requires the HP Director software.  This software suite was not carried forward in Windows Vista or 7, but instead one has to use an in-OS driver while connecting the printer with a USB cable.  There are some limitations of this type of driver.  Please read through the information in the document linked below.  The document explains how to install an in-OS driver, what limitations this presents, and even has a section for how to scan with the in-OS driver.

Installing the Printer Software in Windows 7 for a USB Cable Connection

Hope this helps.

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------

I am not an HP employee.
Top Student
kcroadrash
Message 3 of 11 (224 Views)

Thanks for the reply.  When I attempt to use Scan with Windows Fax and Scan I get "No Scanners were detected..."Again. the K80 is working in all other modes (print, copy , fax).  

When I attempt to Scan with Paint I cannot use the scan function because it is greyed out.

Are there other options?

Regents Professor
jason_h
Message 4 of 11 (220 Views)

It sounds like the printer is not getting installed as an imaging device during the plug and play process.  If you unplug the printer's USB cable and remove the device in the Devices and Printers menu, then click on any other printer listed and select Print Server Properties you should be able to remove the printer under the Drivers section as well.  After doing this I would advise restarting the PC.  

Once the PC is back up, then plug the USB cable back in and watch the connection process on the task bar.  Does it fail to add the imaging device through plug and play?  Also, right click on Computer in the Start menu and select Manage.  In the menu that opens select the Device Manager on the right.  At the top select View and click on Show Hidden Devices.  Under Imaging Devices in the main window, do you see the printer listed?

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------

I am not an HP employee.
Top Student
kcroadrash
Message 5 of 11 (212 Views)

Thanks again.  Followed each step above successfully.  (unplug USB, uninstall K80, remove printer device, restart, plug in USB, watch connection process, completed successfully - but did not specifically see the imaging device as install was in progress)  Unfortunately, the scanner still not available. 

Under Imaging Devices (within Device Manager/Manage) the printer is NOT listed. 

Again, any alternatives?

Regards,  Bill

Regents Professor
jason_h
Message 6 of 11 (203 Views)

Try running the HP Printer Install Wizard for Windows to perform the install.  This automated installer may be able to force the windows OS to add the imaging device.  To access the HP Printer Install Wizard click here.

Let me know how it goes.

I am not an HP employee.
Top Student
kcroadrash
Message 7 of 11 (196 Views)

No luck.  Whenever I remove the K80 (and the Drivers as noted above) and then try to use the Install Wizard the automatic Win 7 install takes control and installs the K80 insted, with the same result - no scanner found.  The proces used was  I remove the printer and the driver, **bleep** down, disconnect the USB, start up,  and then, when the machine is back up and ready,  start the Wizard, then quickly plug in the USB.  Still uses the Win 7 install (and fails the scan piece).

Regents Professor
jason_h
Message 8 of 11 (193 Views)

When it fails on adding the Imaging Device, does it say why it failed? (such as no driver found, etc)

As well, how old is the USB cable you are using?  It is possible that it is a USB 1.0 cable and not USB 2.0.  If this is the case, then it may not have full communication for scanning processes.

I am not an HP employee.
Top Student
kcroadrash
Message 9 of 11 (180 Views)

When it fails on adding the Imaging Device, does it say why it failed?  As the K80 is installed there is no failure message and the printer/copier/fax works fine.  Only when I attempt to use Windows Fax & Scan  to Scan do I see " No Scanner Found".  Using Paint the Scan function is greyed out.

As well, how old is the USB cable you are using?  It is possible that it is a USB 1.0 cable and not USB 2.0.  If this is the case, then it may not have full communication for scanning processes.  The cable is a few years old (2-4).  I tried another (older) cable and it would not allow the install of anything!. I will find another cable and try that – it may take a while.

Top Student
kcroadrash
Message 10 of 11 (156 Views)

I now have a new USB cable.   It is USB 2.0 cable.  I uninstalled the printer, then removed the driver as described above.   I then reinstalled the K80.  Same problem - no scanner!

Any remaining options?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation