Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Laserjet M1522nf
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I used the instructions from Honor Student to get my scanner going.  However, I did not see "Shell Hardware Detection" anywhere. Please advise!

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

If this is the only printer you have try this.

Go to printer and devices in the Control panel.  Right click on the printer then click on remove device.  Go to uninstall programs in the control panel and uninstall the software for this printer.  Reboot and once this is finished follow the next steps.

Go to HP.com and click on support and go to download drivers. 

In the box find my product enter the name and include any letters after the 1522 that is specific for your printer.  Click Go

When you have the list of printers that match yours click on that specific printer and the list to select language and operating system should display.

While you have Windows 10, there is no full featured software for this version.  However I upgraded to Win 10 from Win 7 and I downloaded the latest version of the Windows 8.1 full featured software select the correct bit version. I used the version that was released on Sep 22, 2014 and the last 4 characters of the file are EMEA4.

Download and install it and go ahead and setup the fax features even if you do not have it connected to a phone.  For some reasons I have had problems with scanning if I did not do this step.

My printer is connected by an ethernet cable and I have two other AIO printers that also scan.  If this is the case with you, I would uninstall all of the AIO printers beginning with the oldest first then after you have uninstalled the printers, download all of the most current full featured software for each of the printers Windows 10 if they have it but some of the printers only have the universal drivers available.   Install the oldest printer first followed by the 2nd oldest and so on by the age of the printers.  I had to do this when I installed Windows 7 to get them all to work correctly.  I can even get them to work with the windows fax and scan feature.

HP Recommended

I had a similar problem with our company's multifunction printer (HP LaserJet M1522nf). A HP representative managed thankfully to fix it using remote connection software and I noted down his instructions:

Step 1: Uninstall all software related to HP printers. Go to Control Panel > Add or remove programs and make sure there are no HP programs of the printer installed. Click 'uninstall' if any.

Step 2: Delete the printer installation from 'Printers and Devices'. Go to Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Devices and Printers. If your HP printer is there, right click on it and select 'remove device'.

Step 3: Delete remaining drivers. Stay at 'Printers and Devices'. Select any other printer (e.g. XPS Writer) and click on the option 'printer server properties’ that appears on the top of the window. Move at the tab 'drivers' in the window that pops up. Select one by one any HP related drivers and click 'remove'. When asked, select 'driver and package' and hit ok. Repeat for all HP drivers.

Step 4: Manually delete leftovers. Go to C:\Program Files and look for any 'Hewlett-Packard' folders. Delete those folders unless they contain other HP software non-related to your printer. You will need administrative privileges to perform this task. Check both 'Program files' and 'Program files (x86)' if you have a 64bit version of Windows 10. Also, check the subfolder 'Common files' for any 'Hewlett-Packard' folders and delete them as well.

Step 5: Extract the contents of the installation file and move them directly at the root of C: disk. Locate the downloaded file 'M1522series-win7-full-solution-EMEA2-v4.3' (you must download the file from HP support, your EMEA may be different depending on location and language preferences) and extract it in a folder of the same name. Move that folder on C:\ .

Step 6: Clean the registry. Open the registry editor by typing 'regedit' in the search box next to the start menu. Expand the 'CURRENT_USER' and 'LOCAL_MACHINE' keys as well as the 'SOFTWARE' subkeys. Delete any 'Hewlett-Packard' entry. Do not delete 'HP' entries or entries that do not appear to refer to the printers. You may backup the entries before deleting in case something goes wrong: right click on them and select 'export', then save them temporarily on the desktop.

Step 7: Perform further clean-up with HP's utilities. Go to the folder previously extracted  (C:\M1522series-win7-full-solution-EMEA2-v4.3) and browse to ' util>CCC '. Locate the executable 'scrubber.exe' and run it. There is no window popping up but apparently it works in the background. Do the same with the .bat file 'unistallL4', hit Enter in the command prompt window that opens to continue with the clean up.

Step 8: Delete temporary files. Type " %temp% " (without the quotes) at the address bar of a file explorer window. You will be transferred to C:\Users\user_name\AppData\Local\Temp. Select all files there (Ctrl + A) and then hit delete. Skip files that cannot be deleted.

Step 9: Restart your PC.

Step 10: Run the installer. Go to the folder you created at C:\. It is always a good option to temporarily disable your firewall and antivirus program. Run the 'autorun' program and follow the setup wizard. You may choose 'advanced install' and deselect unwanted software, such as 'customer participation program', 'buy supplies' and 'hp update'. Your installation should finish without trouble. You may skip setting up the fax if you don't use it and cancel the 'product registration' window. Make sure you select 'network installation' when prompted (if your machine is connected via lan cable).

Step 11. Make sure everything works fine. Restart your PC and check that the scanner and printer work properly. You may now delete the files that were moved in the recycle bin. Keep the registry backups for a while and then delete them as well.

Good luck!

HP Recommended

I have been trying and trying so long to install in the past. Above steps are great. Worked for me.

HP Recommended

tzon, I just bought a new Asus computerrunning Windows 10 (64-bit)  I have an M1522nf and have the exact problem you're  describing, but I'm not a techie and I'm having a bit of trouble following everything you're telling me to do (some of the options aren't always the way you describe them.  Is there a simpler way to get my printer up and running again?

HP Recommended

Hi,

I performed all the suggetsed steps.

The printer and scanner work smooth, however there is no fax printer driver.

Any idea?

THX,

Kobyf

HP Recommended

You shouldn't be facing a problem with a new computer. This issue supposedly affects older systems that were upgraded to Win 10 from a previous version. Maybe your situation is different. In any case, the steps described above are the only know solution so far (for upgraded systems). I hope that you've managed to resolve your issue. 

HP Recommended

The fax works autonomously. I don't think it needs special drivers. By installing the software provided from HP (as described in the above steps) a tool named "HP fax setup utility" will be installed as well. This tool is used once to configure the fax's settings (eg. dedicated phone line, delivery report etc.).

In case you were trying to send a fax from your PC using 'Windows Fax and Scan", there is no such option. I was trying  to do that too... It turns out that the only way you can send a fax from your PC is by having a modem installed on the PC and a telephone line directly connected to it (as in dial-up internet). 

HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I upgraded Windows 7 indeed. In Windows 7, I could choose an HP fax printer when trying to print using the application print menu.

After the Windows 10 upgarde I don't have this option anymore.

No solution yet.

Maybe it's a time for a new printer 😞

THX

Kobyf

HP Recommended

By installing the software provided from HP (as described in the above steps) a tool named "HP fax setup utility" will be installed as well. This tool is used once to configure the fax's settings (eg. dedicated phone line, delivery report etc.). I just bought a new Asus computerrunning Windows 10 (64-bit)  I have an M1522nf and have the exact problem you're  describing, but I'm not a techie and I'm having a bit of trouble following everything you're telling me to do (some of the options aren't always the way you describe them.

Thanks

Chief.Cons

Paypal

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.