Question

Top Student
wboswell
Message 1 of 6 (11,022 Views)

HP Laserjet 3055 - Cannot Scan to Acrobat in Windows 7

Since purchasing a new system a few months ago, I've never been able to scan from Adobe Acrobat 9 to my All-in-One HP Laserjet 3055.  Under Windows 7, the software installation will fail each time giving me a message that it is not compatible with Windows 7.  It worked fine in XP.

The only workaround, which is a lot of work, is to scan within Windows 7's fax and scan utility then import the images into Acrobat.  That's only good for 8 1/2 x 11 paper.  I had a number of legal size pages to scan (8 1/2 x 14) using the feeder, but they cannot be scanned using this utility because this page size is not available on the list.  There is also no way to add it to the list either.

Scanning inside of Acrobat produces a skewed image of the page and is unusable.  I've asked at the Microsoft forums, but they keep telling me that it's an HP driver issue.  HP's site indicates that the 3055 is supported by Windows 7 so HP does not have any drivers for this.

Apart from the scanning, the HP 3055 works fine.  I have another flatbed scanner (Canon) that scans just fine into Adobe Acrobat, but I can't do legal size paper.  So this has to be an HP issue of not being fully compatible with Windows 7.

Is there a fix for this or do I have to buy a new printer?  If I have to buy a new printer, it won't be an HP.

Top Student
kentcan
Message 2 of 6 (10,936 Views)

Re: HP Laserjet 3055 - Cannot Scan to Acrobat in Windows 7

I agree.  I'm having the same problems, though not with Acrobat.  I have a 3-year old HP LaserJet 3055 and an HP laptop with Windows 7 that I bought on Black Friday.  I CAN NOT SCAN WITH MY HP SCANNER!  At best, every once in a while it will pull a couple pages through the feeder before freezing up.  Right now I am trying to just scan a single letter-sized paper and it WON'T DO IT!  SO FRUSTRATING!!!  It engages the scanner, the "reader" moves under the glass of the scanner, but then the progress bar on the computer stop at about 10% every time.  Legal-sized?  FORGET IT!  I frequently scanned legal-sized paper for my business with my old computer (and Windows XP), but now Windows Fax and Scan won't even give me that option.  Looking online, it looks like yes--the problem is with HP and the drivers they provide.  Windows F&S provides the options given by the scanner driver.  So I am up a creek and VERY disappointed with the (lack of) response I've gotten from HP on this issue.

Honor Student
gabr13l
Message 3 of 6 (10,713 Views)

Hi,

Any update on this issue. I have a client that has the same setup; Windows 7 Pro, Acrobat 8 Standard and a 3055.

He can print fine and scan using the native scanning in Windows but can't use Acrobat to scan to PDF. The scan will complete in Acrobat but when it tries to bring up the completed scan it says "An unknown Error has Occurred" and there is just a blank page.

I have the latest driver update installed from Windows update. Does anyone have a fix for this issue?

Gabriel

Student
bgartenberg
Message 4 of 6 (8,374 Views)

Re: HP Laserjet 3055 - Cannot Legal Size

[ Edited ]

Well, I can't scan legal size either. And I'm a lawyer. So you can imagine how happy I am with the 3055. I'm less happy with HP for being of absolutely no help with this issue. If anyone has a fix, please let me know [Personal Information Removed]

Until then, I guess the answer is: Don't buy any more HP products.

Student
Garyvdh
Message 5 of 6 (7,681 Views)

Re: HP Laserjet 3055 - Cannot Legal Size

OK, so I didn't have to install anything in Windows 7 Home Premioum 32 bit... the scanner driver was automatically recognized and installed. When I looked at the driver in Device Manager it says it was released by HP in 2006.

Anyway, the problem I was having was not with the driver, it was with the scanning software. I could not find any HP software on their website. I tried a few third party freeware scanners but all of them hung after half the page and I had to press the cancel button.

Finally I tried iCopy iCopy - Free Photocopier http://icopy.sourceforge.net/
And it worked. I installed a PDF printer like CutePDF and set it as the default printer for iCopy.
And I was away and scanning to PDF in no time.

Honor Student
narender2011
Message 6 of 6 (1,544 Views)

thanks

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation