Question

Honor Student
imauld
Message 1 of 31 (8,554 Views)

HP OfficeJet 4500 Not Scanning

I am having an issue scanning with my OfficeHet 4500 from both fropm the software and from the front panel. I have reinstalled the full feature software package and ran the Scanning Diagnostic tool. The scanning diagnostic tool reports a problem with the Digital Imaging Monitor and the front panel. The diagnostic tool recommended installing a patch which installed properly.

When trying to run the HP Solution Center it displays a message that my device has not been fully installed.

Tutor
rogerbid
Message 2 of 31 (8,537 Views)

Re: HP OfficeJet 4500 Not Scanning

Hi there. 

Like you I have a 4500 All-in-One printer that I bought 3 days ago.

Set up was easy and I equickly managed to get the device to send and receive faxes.  It was not until last night I tried to scan a document, never expecting a problem with this function.

I am now thoroughly miffed with HP (I have always used HP products in the past) and having found many articles on Google from people saying how problematic this function is, I am seriously regretting my purchase.

I will follow this thread with interest until I take the product back to the store next week for a refund and will never buy another HP device.  Hopefully there is a quick and easy solution that I can apply before I actually have time to return to the store,

Roger

Regents Professor
Travis_C
Message 3 of 31 (8,512 Views)

Hello rogerbid

What exact problem do you have when trying to scan? Also how is your printer connected to the computer and what operating system are you running?

Don't forgot to say thanks by giving "Kudos" to those that help solve your problems.

When a solution is found please mark the post that solves your issue.
Honor Student
imauld
Message 4 of 31 (8,502 Views)

the scanner is connected to the computer using a USB cable. The computer is running Windows Vista 64-bit. I don't believe the cable is an issue because it passes the connectivity section of the diagnostic program and I am able to send print jobs to the printer with no problems.

Tutor
rogerbid
Message 5 of 31 (8,489 Views)

Hi and thanks you for your reply.

My problem is that HP "Solution Center" has not been installed.

I connect the printer with a USB cable and I am running Windows 7 Home 32 bit.

I spent a very long time on the telephone yesterday with an HP Support technician and we concluded that because initially the HP Software installed on to a second hard drive this is preventing me from reinstalling the software on my primary (C:\) drive.

The scanner works in Miscrosoft Paint and in Windows Fax and Scan but I need to be able to scan in Solution Centre in order to use the OCR software, which I do not belibve has been installed either.

Any suggestions please?

Thanks

Roger

Teacher
potent
Message 6 of 31 (8,486 Views)

Hi Roger,

I suggest you to use the software discs that came with the printer and uninstall the previous installation. If that can't be done. Go to Control panel -- Programs and Features and remove all HP printer softwares listed and then try to install the printer once again. Disconnect the printer while uninstalling the software. Connect the printer to the computer using the USB cable only when prompted to do so on the computer screen.

Potent
Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution!
See a great post? Give it a Kudos!
I am employed by HP
Regents Professor
Travis_C
Message 7 of 31 (8,475 Views)

Hello everyone

The most effective way to make sure no traces of the previous installation is to follow the directions below. Let me know if you run into any problems during the re-installation.

From Original installation CD:

1. Insert CD into drive, and then cancel the installer

2. Open My Computer, and then right click on the CD drive and chose open

3. Open folder Util

4. Open folder CCC

5. Run the L4uninstall.exe

6. When the uninstall has completed restart the computer

7. Run Disk cleanup from Accessories\ System Tools

8. Download and install the latest version of Adobe flash player

http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

9. Download the full feature software and drivers

10. Run the download to reinstall the printer

If software was downloaded and extracted to your system:

1. Type %temp% in the run field

2. Look for, and open the folder starting with 7z (Example: 7zS2356)

3. Open folder Util

4. Open folder CCC

5. Run the L4uninstall.exe

6. When the uninstall has completed restart the computer

7. Run Disk cleanup from Accessories\ System Tools

8. Download and install the latest version of Adobe flash player

http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

9. Download the full feature software and drivers

10. Run the download to reinstall the printer

Don't forgot to say thanks by giving "Kudos" to those that help solve your problems.

Tutor
rogerbid
Message 8 of 31 (8,414 Views)

Hello and thanks for the reply.  I apologise for the delay in writing again.

I initially installed the printer software from the CD, and subsequently, when I could not access the Solution Centre I downloaded and installed the software file OJ4500vG510a-f_Full_13_en.exe

I am not sure when or why the software was installed on my I: drive, which is a partition on a separate hard drive.  (I use this drive to install trial versions of software.  On the same drive is a folder I have named Downloads, and that is where I saved the downloaded .exe file.  Maybe this is why the installation went to I: drive.)

When speaking to the telephpone support tech, he remotely accessed my computer and did some uninstalling on C:\ Drive, but I cannot remove the software from the I:\ drive for some reason.

When I tried to follow your instructions, I could not locate the folders you mentioned in the Temp files, and then went to look on the CD.  The only .exe files in the CCC folder on the CD are:

AccessDeniedUtility.exe

CCC_Uninstaller.exe

FixErr1714.exe

hpqrrx08.exe

PrintUtil.exe

scrub2k.exe

Should I try CCC_Uninstall as there is no L4uninstall?

I thought I could disconnect the second Hard Drive and then reinstall using the CD. It would then surely install the softwre and drivers to C: Drive.  Woud you recommend this solution?

Thanks,

Roger

Regents Professor
Travis_C
Message 9 of 31 (8,404 Views)

Hello rogerbid

I apologize the instructions I gave above had a slight typo. The file would be L4uninstall.bat not *.exe

which should be in the CCC folder.

Honor Student
imauld
Message 10 of 31 (8,397 Views)

I have tried the directions you and the scanner is still not working. When trying to install the device it hangs at the point where it instructs me to connect the device. I have tried connecting it by USB and by ethernet. On both methods it informs me the the device cannot be found.

The first time I connected it by ethernet it detected the device but when trying to install it the installer said I needed a download to fix a problem. It downloaded an .exe called "Windows Solution - Vista." After it ran the program the device could no longer be detected via ethernet.

The device was never detected by USB. I don't believe the cable to be the problem as I can still use the print functionality.

When attempting to scan using the front panel I receive the message "No Scan Options."

At this point I've tried everything short of sacrificng a goat to Baal to get this scanner working. A coworker relies on this thing to do her job so the goat idea is starting to look pretty promising. I'm really hoping for solution to this doesn't include a sledgehammer and an explination to the boss about what happened to the scanner in customer service. I need a hero Travis, will be that hero?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation