Question

Top Student
GoGoGadget
Message 1 of 27 (42,117 Views)

HP OfficeJet J6480 / Scanner and Install

The scanner won't work!! And the install program won't go past the wireless network set up area upon installing from the Start up disk on my Mac.  This is supposed to be compatible with my computer.  I have no problem printing but not able to get the scanner to work.  Please advise.
Honor Student
pieta
Message 2 of 27 (42,008 Views)

Re: HP OfficeJet J6480 / Scanner and Install

I have a similar problem with my J6450.  Can san pictures to albums, but cannot scan to e-mail- error says No scan Options.  Help
Grad Student
pradeep
Message 3 of 27 (41,971 Views)

May I know if you are installing the printer wirelessly. If so, for this printer you need to insert the USB cable and then proceed to install the printer wirelessly.Once install the software using USB and then disconnect the usb cable from the printer and then insert the CD and then click on add a device option. Follow the onscreen instructions and select wireless to start the wireless installation, then it will ask you to connect the usb cable and then will detect your wireless router and then it will establish an connection. Once the connection is established you can take out the usb cable and then print.
Top Student
GoGoGadget
Message 4 of 27 (41,926 Views)

I had previous HP programs on my computer.  I uninstalled everything, and anything else HP that I found I dragged to the trash and deleted it all.  Then I spoke with a customer service rep who directed me to the on-line install for my HP J6480.  I worked through it step by step and now it all works.  Hooray.  I'm in business now.  So for all of you who need help call 1.800.474.6836.  Be very patient and don't use the cell phone, this call may keep you for at least and hour and a half if it was like me with my MacBookPro.  Have your serial # ready and you'll do fine.  :smileyhappy: 

Good Luck everyone.

Grad Student
pradeep
Message 5 of 27 (41,917 Views)

Good to hear that your issue is resolved, Gadget.
Honor Student
ksmit114
Message 6 of 27 (41,155 Views)

I have been a great fan of HP printers over the years.  However, I am NOT impressed with the Officejet J6480 that I bought 2 weeks ago.  It seemed to work just fine (using wireless) until I had to reformat my hard drive.  It took forever to get it to install again and now the scanner doesn't work.  I  really need help with this printer and I can't take it back to Best Buy because my husband put the box out with the trash last week.
Regents Professor
DexterM
Message 7 of 27 (41,143 Views)

do you get any error messages during the installation? at what stage does the installation stop? does it ask you to plug in the USB cable at that point?
----------------------------
Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with \'Accept as Solution\' if it solves your problem.
Click on the BLUE KUDOS button on the left to say "Thanks"
I am an ex-HP Employee.
Honor Student
ksmit114
Message 8 of 27 (41,140 Views)

During software instillation it kept stopping at 94% and giving me a fatal error message. I finally got at least a portion of the software to install but it obviously didn't install everything.  NEVER asked to me plug in the USB cable.
Regents Professor
DexterM
Message 9 of 27 (41,135 Views)

[ Edited ]
have you tried running a Custom/Express installation and installing only the programs marked 'Required' and seeing if that installs or not?

also, keep the Task Manager open during the installation and look for a program under the 'Processes' Tab named 'Wrapper.exe'. if it comes up, end the program immediately.
Message Edited by DexterM on 01-19-2009 05:03 PM
----------------------------
Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with \'Accept as Solution\' if it solves your problem.
Click on the BLUE KUDOS button on the left to say "Thanks"
I am an ex-HP Employee.
Top Student
hjie
Message 10 of 27 (40,879 Views)

Try to do a complete uninstall

*first step*

-run installation media (CD / Download) software

-select uninstall and on the process, select uninstall all hp softwares associated the with the device

-after uninstall , select restart later to reboot the computer later

-go to start > control panel > add/remove programs (XP) programs (Vista)

-uninstall any existing HP softwares (note: for hp computers, skip this process)

-restart later

*2nd step*

-open contents of the installation media

-if you're using the installation CD. go to my computer, select the drive which has your cd in (eg. E:/ , D:/ ) right click on the icon and select open / explore.

-if you're using a downloaded software, click on start and click on run (XP) startsearch (vista), on that box, type in the command ( %temp% ) and press enter. it will open up temporary files folder.

-locate the file that starts with 7z (eg. 7z001cs1) and open it and now you are in the contents of the installer

-on the contents of the installer, locate UTIL folder and open it then locate CCC and open it as well

(note: check your operating system if it is running on a 32-bit or 64-bit . you can check it going to start>control panel>system) 

-on CCC folder , locate uninstall L1 (for 32-bit) uninstall L1 64 (for 64 bit) and run it. (note: there will be a command prompt box that will launch, press enter to continue) restart later

-on CCC folder , locate uninstall L2 (for 32-bit) uninstall L2 64 (for 64 bit) and run it. (note: there will be a command prompt box that will launch, press enter to continue) restart later

on CCC folder , locate uninstall L3 (for 32-bit) uninstall L3 64 (for 64 bit) and run it. (note: there will be a command prompt box that will launch, press enter to continue) restart later (repeat uninstall L3 steps for 3 times)

**********important**********

(do not run uninstall L4)

*3rd step*

-go to my computer , open op drive C or ( c:/ )

-open up program files and locate the folder named HP

-open the folder and delete the folder named Digital Imaging (for any errors: select skip or ignore. if the folder will not be deleted, continue to the next step)

-access configuration utility

-click on start> run (XP) start> startsearch (vista) and type in the command (msconfig) and press on enter

-you will be able to see a new window named configuration utility

-on that window, by default , you will be under "General" which has the option Normal Start up/ Diagnostic Start up/Selective Start up. click on the tab named "Services"

-on the services tab, put a check mark on (hide all microsoft services) then click on the button named disable all (note: make sure that the hide all microsoft services will have a check mark before you click on disable all)

-click on apply and click on close

-it will prompt you to restart your computer

-restart the computer

*4th step*

-if you have a high speed internet, it would be best to download the latest software and driver online from HP's site by going to www.hp.com/support

-if not, run the installation using the CD

-after the installation, (DO NOT TEST THE FUNCTIONS YET)

-click on start> run (XP) start> startsearch (vista) and type in the command (msconfig) and press on enter

-you will be able to see a new window named configuration utility

-on that window, by default , you will be under "General" which has the option Normal Start up/ Diagnostic Start up/Selective Start up. click on the tab named "Services"

-select Normal Startup

-click on apply and then close

-reboot computer

-when computer is up, locate the icon on the system tray (lower right portion of your desktop where your clock is located) named Digital Imaging Monitor

-make sure that it has a check mark which designates that it is ready

-right click on it and select launch/view solution center

*test functionality*

-close solution center and reopen it using the regular icon on the desktop

-hjie

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation