HP Officejet 4500 Wireless fax will not sent fax (1987 Views)
Top Student
writchey88
Message 1 of 19 (1,987 Views)
Accepted Solution

HP Officejet 4500 Wireless fax will not sent fax

I am able to run the fax setup and get a result that the fax test passed. This test passed even with no connection to my phone line. This made me believe a phone line was not required, but the answer to another fax problem concerning a wireless unit posted on this very forum claims a wireless all in on does not need a phone line.

At various times I could go to the HP Solution Center and select send a fax and got indications the machine was trying to do just that (according to a status window that appeared). I could enen hear fax tones. Yet in the end an error message appears.

Just now when I go to the Solution Center and select fax nothing happens. The front panel status screen reads Original Loaded.

I tried using the front panel to iniitiate a fax to the HP fax test line (hp  1-888 faxne) Which tels me a fax was sent with result No Answer. However the page I intented to use as a test page was not scanned and the transaction report tells me the Fax send Send Report is set to Off.

I will see if I can find out how to change that setting in the fax setup program. I seem to be dealing with multiple problems.

Distinguished Professor
Rich1
Message 2 of 19 (1,972 Views)

Re: HP Officejet 4500 Wireless fax will not sent fax

Hi writchey88,

I'd like to help.  For your printer,  "wireless" means that you can send print jobs to the printer wirelessly.  You will still need a phone cable connecting the printer to a wall jack in order to send a fax.  You may not have a faxing problem.  The way to find out is to connect a 2-wire phone cord to Line 1 of the printer and the other end into a phone jack.  Run a fax test and if everything passes, try sending a test fax.

To run a fax test, press the "wrench" button and then the right arrow until you get to Tools, press OK, right arrow until you see Run Fax Test and press OKClick here for more information on the Fax Test Report.   Let me know how it goes and we can troubleshoot from there if needed.

Good Luck !

Also, remember a click on the Kudos star to the left is a quick "Thanks" for a helpful post.

Please select the "Accept as Solution" button on the post that best answers your question.

I appreciate your input ! ___________________________________ _____

Thank You,
Rich
Expert
Top Student
writchey88
Message 3 of 19 (1,947 Views)

In the process of trying to fix this problem (and as an advice clue offered by HP ) I re- installed my software ( the works, over 200mb). Now I see a new problem.

When I try to raise the Solutions center I get an error message that informs informs me that my installation is not complete even though I never encountered such an error when Installing the software. Quite the opposite. Everything seemed fine.

I now have the unt connected to the phone line, using a two line cord,  the phone line and cord are,  I believe both good, based on a test I made with a Brother printer/fax machine.  Since I can no longer raise the Solution Center, I have no way to inititate a fax test except from the front panel.  When I send a fax test to the HP fax test line I eventually get a printed page entitled Faxback System Test. But there is no positive confirmation the test suceeded. I guess one is just supposed to assume!

What should I try now? How do I get the solution center back again? Complete uninstall, new download and re-install? Clean reinstall?

Distinguished Professor
Rich1
Message 4 of 19 (1,945 Views)

If you received a Faxback System Test, that means that you successfully 1.) sent and 2.) received a fax.  That is a good sign. 

The next topic to address is your Solution Center issue.  Probably  when you did the reinstall, there were some files that did not get  removed.  What is the operating system for your computer including 32 or 64 bit?

Also, remember a click on the Kudos star to the left is a quick "Thanks" for a helpful post.

Please select the "Accept as Solution" button on the post that best answers your question.

Thank You,
Rich
Expert
Top Student
writchey88
Message 5 of 19 (1,942 Views)

I am using Win7 premium edition, 64 bit.

Distinguished Professor
Rich1
Message 6 of 19 (1,937 Views)

I recommend that you do a complete uninstall of all programs associated with the printer.  For more information about the uninstall process  Click Here. 

Once the uninstall has completed and you have rebooted your computer, you can download and install the  HP Officejet Full Feature Software and Driver.  I recommend you use this driver for the reinstall.  Let me know what happens.

Thank You,
Rich
Expert
Top Student
writchey88
Message 7 of 19 (1,929 Views)

Following your recommendation I did a complete re-install (tried just installing the solution center portion, but that did not work). After the uninstall completed the reboot got humg up on exit. The screen advised I wait. After 30 to 40 minutes I decided to do a hard reset.

The upshot is I now have  a working Solution Center. I was able to send a fax test message to HP that was successful.

Since my 2-wire telephone cord is not long enough to reach the wall jack I used a 4 wire cord. It worked just fine. If I run into problems I will consider a 2-wire line, but at least one "expert" writes that only 1% of HP customers encounter problems using a 4 wire cord. My phone service is provided by Cox cable so the line should be reasonably free of noise.

I only found two suppliers that offered a two wire cord. Major stores like Fry's have no offerings.

I think you for your time and effort on my behalf. We users must be our own mechanics and we need your backup experience.

Distinguished Professor
Rich1
Message 8 of 19 (1,926 Views)

I was glad to help you.  As long as you aren't having any faxing problems, the 4 wire line should be OK.  If you do start having problems and can't find a 2 wire line, you might be able to find an adapter that keeps 2 of the wires of a 4 wire line from connecting.  With the adapter you could still use the 4 wire line.  Let me know if I can do anything else for you.  :smileyhappy:

Thank You,
Rich
Expert
Student
deann508
Message 9 of 19 (1,876 Views)

tried sending test fax & hp's fax # "not answering" do u have another# or is this problem coming from my fax machine?

Regents Professor
Rudy1906
Message 10 of 19 (1,849 Views)

@deann508, sorry that you are having this issue. Are you getting an error message when you try to send faxes?

Run a fax test and check the results. 

Let me know what it says. 

**Click the KUDOS star on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Please mark a reply "ACCEPTED AS SOLUTION" if it solved your problem, so others can find it.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation