Question

Top Student
lump3082
Message 1 of 4 (1,275 Views)
Accepted Solution

HP Officejet 4620 Automatic Document Feeder continues to scan blank pages

HP Officejet 4620e all-in-one

Windows 7 64 bit

I recently bought this printer and it has worked rather well, aside from some network difficulty that is noted as an issue on these boards.

We noticed today though that when using the automatic document feeder on top, the unit will scan the page or pages inserted and then continue to scan blank pages until the job is cancelled. This has happened for copy, scan, and fax. For copies and scans, the job still gets done, although a copy job will waste some paper. A fax can't go through because it thinks there are an innumerable amount of pages to scan in. It sounds like the scanning eye gets stuck when trying to finish the job. Using the flatbed glass works without issue.

I have updated the unit's firmware via the web utility and I have downloaded the most recent drivers. I have not called HP yet, but I haven't seen anything on these boards to suggest that this has happened to anyone else.

Distinguished Professor
Rich1
Message 2 of 4 (1,251 Views)

Re: HP Officejet 4620 Automatic Document Feeder continues to scan blank pages

Hi lump3082,

Can you try doing a hard reset as described in the following link?  Click Here  Let me know how it goes.

Good Luck !

Also, remember a click on the Kudos star to the left is a quick "Thanks" for a helpful post.

Please select the "Accept as Solution" button on the post that best answers your question.

I appreciate your input ! ___________________________________ _____

Thank You,
Rich
Expert
Top Student
lump3082
Message 3 of 4 (1,240 Views)

The hard reset did not work.

I tried doing a factory reset on the printer itself and that seemed to fix the issue. Instead of continuously running blank pages after the copy, it ran one blank page after the copy and then completed the job.

Next, I reconnected to my network and tried again. This time I got no blank page, just the requested copy.

Next, I reconfigured web services and tested the connection to eprint and the fax setup which was normal. I verified that the product update was current. I tested the ADF one more time after reconfiguring everything again and as a scan I got 8 pages... blank, the document, and then 6 blank. Just for kicks I tried again and got the document and one blank page.

It seems like the laser eye gets hung up after scanning the dcument. It's better now than it was because it actually finishes what it is doing. I can always just use the flatbed for single pages and save the ADF for multiples. That's probably the best way to move forward from here.

Thanks for the help.

Distinguished Professor
Rich1
Message 4 of 4 (1,227 Views)

You are welcome.  Glad you were able to come to a resolution.  If I can do anything else to help, just let me know. Have a good day !  :smileyhappy:

Also, remember a click on the Kudos star to the left is a quick "Thanks" for a helpful post.

Please select the "Accept as Solution" button on the post that best answers your question.

I appreciate your input ! ___________________________________ _____

Thank You,
Rich
Expert
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation