Question

Student
spier01
Message 1 of 70 (31,154 Views)

HP Officejet 4620 won't scan to computer

I'm running windows 7. My computer is enabled and shows on the printer control panel. I have uninstalled and reinstall from the HP Disc. I start scan and it says "preparing to scan" on the display. Then it shows Scan could not complete Connection to computer has been lost or OCR app is not installed on computer. I get the same thing if I try to connect vis USB.

I did notice that I am unable to open the scan dialog box even after reinstall,

I've searched the forum and still lost. All the wireless printing and faxing works fine.

Any suggestions??????

Associate Dean
Shane_R
Message 2 of 70 (31,137 Views)

Re: HP Officejet 4620 won't scan to computer

I'm betting the install files on the disc are coruppted.  Uninstall and try installing form this download.  Let me know what happens.

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature
Student
goldjeffreya
Message 3 of 70 (31,083 Views)

I'm running windows Vista. My computer is enabled and shows on the printer control panel. I have uninstalled and reinstall from the HP Disc. I start scan and it says "preparing to scan" on the display. Then it shows Scan could not complete Connection to computer has been lost or OCR app is not installed on computer. I get the same thing if I try to connect vis USB.

I did notice that I am unable to open the scan dialog box even after reinstall,

I've searched the forum and still lost. All the wireless printing and faxing works fine.

Any suggestions??????

I attempted to download from HP website instead supplied disc and that did not work either.

Associate Dean
Shane_R
Message 4 of 70 (31,079 Views)

If you have it connected wireless, it could be that your firewall is blocking communication.  Try diabling your firewall and see if it lets the scans through.  Let me know what happens.

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature
Tutor
Geo68
Message 5 of 70 (30,979 Views)

hello I am also having the same issue I just got off the phone with HP tech he was unable to solve the issue.

I am running windows 7 x64 my printer is connected wirelessly I can print and copy but when I try to scan I get a message sayin unable to communicate with scanner. the tech had me uninstall and reinstall the software via the download not CD so its not a bad disc. using scan doctor it shows 3 printers listed 1 the 4620 with the correct IP another 4620 with the prefix HP2D9C51 and a large string under connect and an old printer no longer connected and the software removed a 4680 with an old ip. then the tech had me open the printer ip in IE under scan the following  message appears 'You cannot use this function because it has been disabled. For more information, contact your network administrator or the person who set up the printer' now i did nothing expect install the software as the instructions said ... so how do i fix this?

Associate Dean
Shane_R
Message 6 of 70 (30,974 Views)

The message lyou got is referring to Web Scan, which is not required to be able to scan with the printer.  It's a workaround for when you can't get the printer to scan using the software.  Did you try to disable the firewall on your computer and then scan?

Signature
Tutor
Geo68
Message 7 of 70 (30,973 Views)

yes i have disabled the firewall nothing happened... the printer wont scan if i try directly from the machine i got a lost connnection or OCR not installed msg on the printer when I try to scan from HP printer assist i get scanner communication cannot be established. Is there a workaround for the workaround this is the first time ive tried to use scanner printer is a month old

Associate Dean
Shane_R
Message 8 of 70 (30,967 Views)

What encyrption type does your router use?  What brand and model of router are you using?  What is the firmware version on your router?  How far from the router is the printer?

Signature
Tutor
Geo68
Message 9 of 70 (30,965 Views)

netgear wirelesss N 150 router model WNR1000v2 AES and the firmware is up to date and the router is about 8' away from the printer

Associate Dean
Shane_R
Message 10 of 70 (30,963 Views)

All of that looks fine.  Check the firmware on the printer.  It may be out dated and need updating.  If it updates, it might fix the problem.  Let me know what happens.

Signature
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation