Question

Top Student
knight_six
Message 1 of 17 (18,631 Views)

HP Officejet 6500 (E709) Won't Scan

I have an HP XW8200 Workstation Dual Xeon 3200DP 3.2ghz processors.  I purchased an HP Officejet 6500 all-in-one printer/scanner.  Initial installation wenk OK - but took quite some time to complete.  A CPU glitch occurred with access to the internet, and tech support had me do a re-install of the Windows XP Professional O/S that came with the CPU.  This went OK and everything works fine. Everything that is, EXCEPT the scan feature on the HP 6500.  I continue to receive the following error message: "HP CUE-Scanning Flow Component has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience."  The Solution Center sent an auto message to HP about this, and I received an on-line solution which is/was worthless.  I have re-installed the HP OfficeJet 6500 software 3x now, and no joy in Mudville - it simply refuses to recognize the Solution Center Scan function or anything to do with scanning.  If I press the manual button on the front of the scanner, I receive " No Scan Options - refer to documentation."  Everyting else on the 6500 works OK, so I know the stupid thing is communicating with the CPU.  So, I read thru a bunch of these threads and found the advice about using Windows "PAINT" to scan.  IT WORKS!!!!   I'll be damned!!  OK - HP Tech Support - you have one opportunity only to explain to me why your software doesn't work on your own system with an O/S that you state will in fact work with the 6500.  Otherwise, you're absolutely worthless to me.  Knightsix 

Top Student
pjaswfla
Message 2 of 17 (18,607 Views)

Re: HP Officejet 6500 (E709) Won't Scan

Are you connected by wireless? I had a problem installing the scanning component until used a cat5 cable and reinstalled. Then it worked and continued to work when the cat5 cable was removed and I reverted to wireless.

Honor Student
tatlyn
Message 3 of 17 (18,520 Views)

count me in on having to use "Windows Paint" program to scan from my HP 6500!!

Ridiculous!!

Honor Student
dad7403
Message 4 of 17 (17,098 Views)

Ditto

this thread explains my issue exactly!

Student
JimR382
Message 5 of 17 (16,125 Views)

The exact same thing happens to me.  No matter what I do, I cannot get the scan function to work again (it did for a week, then quit).   What he said....  I have an HP XW8200 Workstation Dual Xeon 3200DP 3.2ghz processors.  I purchased an HP Officejet 6500 all-in-one printer/scanner.  Initial installation wenk OK - but took quite some time to complete.  A CPU glitch occurred with access to the internet, and tech support had me do a re-install of the Windows XP Professional O/S that came with the CPU.  This went OK and everything works fine. Everything that is, EXCEPT the scan feature on the HP 6500.  I continue to receive the following error message: "HP CUE-Scanning Flow Component has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience."  The Solution Center sent an auto message to HP about this, and I received an on-line solution which is/was worthless.  I have re-installed the HP OfficeJet 6500 software 3x now, and no joy in Mudville - it simply refuses to recognize the Solution Center Scan function or anything to do with scanning.  If I press the manual button on the front of the scanner, I receive " No Scan Options - refer to documentation."  Everyting else on the 6500 works OK, so I know the stupid thing is communicating with the CPU.  So, I read thru a bunch of these threads and found the advice about using Windows "PAINT" to scan.  IT WORKS!!!!   I'll be damned!!  OK - HP Tech Support - you have one opportunity only to explain to me why your software doesn't work on your own system with an O/S that you state will in fact work with the 6500.  Otherwise, you're absolutely worthless to me. 

Teacher
WayneZ
Message 6 of 17 (16,074 Views)

Okay try this link first -

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01842836&cc=in&dlc=en&lc=en&jumpid=reg_R1002_IN...

and see if the same or similar methods to fix will work for you.

I have a HP OfficeJetPro L7555 and had the HP Cue Flow Scannign Error message with Windows Vista Home Premium 64 bit and spent hours/days/months with HP support and it could never be fixed.  I have fixed it now though.  I did not have any issues using Windows XP Professional with the HP device though.  Only with Windows Vista.  I recently switched to Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit , relaoaded all new software after removing the old software, and waa laa everythign is workign again as it should be.  I was in Windows Vista hell for over 2.5 years. 

"Any time you have the opportunity to make a difference in this world, and you don't, then you are wasting your time on Earth." - Roberto Clemente
Teacher
WayneZ
Message 7 of 17 (16,072 Views)

Okay this is going to be a long answer, and I feel/felt your pain although with a different HP hardware.  I got this error message over a year ago and spent approximately 3-4 months with HP trying to fix the issue. They actually offered me a settlement of 50% value which I thought was BS because it was working fine until ... I do have it corrected right now, but not the way you are going to like to hear. 

Okay, I bought an HP OfficeJet Pro L7555 about two years ago.  Loaded it on to an older Dell laptop running Windows XP Professional.  No problems.  The hardware and software worked fine as advertised.  Then the strategic and tragic mistake.  The Dell laptop I was using was old and slow, deals were abounding as they always are with computers and I bought a new Sony VAIO FW 250J/H.  Unfortunately at that time, I would have had to pay to"downgrade" the operating system to Windows XP Professional as WIndows Vista 64 bit Home Premium was the standard operating system that came with the computer.  I mean, how bad could Windows Vista be I thought to myself.  I checked the compatibility and Windows Vista 64 bit was SUPPOSED to be compatible with my HP OfficeJet Pro L7555.  Key word, supposed.  I installed the new software that was compatible with Windows Vista and about a week later got the error message "HP CUE SCANNING FLOW COMPONENT HAS STOPPED WORKING".  Countless uninstalls and hours on the phone and computer takeovers remotely by HP technicians continually got the same error message.  EVERY, and I mean every thing I could find on the net would not resolve the issue.  However, there is a workaround which I found while working with one of the HP technicians on line.  Unfortunately it only lets you scan to BitMap images which you will have to convert and only lets you scan one page at a time.  It's a pain in the butt but I will reprint the workaround here before I post the solution I finally achieved.

Workaround -

I found a workaround by finding the executable scanning file in the HP Bin folder which I posted before (copy and pasted here ).  However this had limited scanning capabilities by only scanning to bitmap images I think and I had to convert the images after.  But this may work for you.  Here it is: 

I am not a tech geek so bear with me I am going to walk through it on my computer and tell you how to in theory get where you want to get.  Hopefully it works, let me know either way.  Unfortunately for you, I locate files via the explore feature so that is the only way I can find it again.  Hopefully this works for you.  Here we go:

Right click on the Wdws Icon in the bottom left hand corner of your computer (same as the start button for other features with a left click)

Click on Explore

Find and click on Program files

Find and click on HP folder or Hewlett Packard Folder

Find and Click on Digital Imaging Folder

Double Click on BIN folder

Find the following file:  hpqscnvw

Double click on that file (hpqscnvw)

Your HP scanning feature should open 

I am thinking I may just create a shortcut of this and launch from that instead of HP solutions center if HP cannot fix this issue. 

Let me know if this works for you.

Okay, now here is the solution which finally worked for me. 

Now having posted that for the Vista users during my time with HP Tech Support they admitted over the phone they had compatibility issues with Windows Vista that they were "working on", obviously to no avail.  Quite frankly Windows Vista and HP Solution Center aren't compatible.  Within the past month or so when Windows 7 Ultimate dropped its price (64 bit versions) I purchased it hoping to get rid of a lot of Vista problems.  I actually then got HP Solution Center to work properly again by doing the following. 

I unfortunately tried what Dexter wrote when I had this problem with Windows Vista and it did not resolve the problem. Uninstalling and reinstalling and hours upon hours of supposed technical assistance from HP also did not resolve the problem. On the phone one HP rep did admit that HP software is not fully compatible with Vista and they were supposedly "working on it" to get it resolved. In any case NEVER got my HP OfficeJet Pro L7555 All-in-one to ever work as it originally did with my old computer running Windows XP. Recently;y however, I bought Windows 7 when its price dropped in the hopes that a lot of Vista issues would go away. After installing Windows 7 Ultimate I knew I would have to upgrade or reinstall the HP software to get Windows 7 compatible with my HP All-in-one. I did the Windows uninstall, then went through every user's profiles and removed every last vestige of HP on the computer (files, folders, etc.) that were left behind from the uninstall. Then I went into the registry files and did a search for anything that had the letters HP together and if it looked like a Hewlett Packard entry, I deleted it from the registry. I then rebooted a few times and researched making sure it did not have some way of adding the files or folders back on the computer or if I missed any (which I did) and researched the registry again. Once I was fairly confident that I extinguished any vestige of HP on this computer, I went to the HP site and added the software for my HP device that was written for Windows 7 Ultimate. I downloaded and installed this software , it has a slightly different interface but not too different, and now the HP Solution Center works properly now as it previously did when I was running Windows XP. I think the HP software and files being removed diligently by me was what saved the day. Previous uninstalls by the HP Tech Support did not go to the level of detail to remove files which were most likely corrupted and continued to resort to the issue that gave the HP CUE Scanning Flow Component Error message. I think the software may have been written better for Windows 7 than it was for Vista, but don't know for sure. I do feel certain though that removal of every single item that HP puts on the computer was a key to get the hardware working properly again with HP Solution Center software. Now I can actually scan properly again. Unfortunately HP was absolutely no help at all and did not abide by their warranty and it took me money to shell out for a new operating system to get their hardware working with their own software again. So if any of you still have this error message, I would suggest you use your windows operating system to remove the HP software, then go through every user and search for any remaining HP files, folders, etc. left over after the uninstall and remove them (also after removal make sure you empty your recycle bin). Then the trickier part is going into the registry editor and searching for HP registry entries left behind. I am not certain registry cleaners could catch them all but you may want to try Comodo's Registry Cleaner which is free first, and then go in and check for HP entries. Even using the search method it took a long time to find and delete HP registry entries left behind. Once you think you deleted everything HP related on your machine. Reboot and check again. Then reboot again and download the newest software for your machine and operating system from the HP web site. Good luck!

It's actually nice to have a properly operating scanner again.

Unfortunately, the problem is not your HP hardware devices, it's the fact that Windows Vista is generally incompatible with everything out there.  Since installing Windows 7 Ultimate numerous software programs that refused to work under Windows Vista now work again.  Amazing.  Windows Vista is actually kind of like a crime on America and the world since Microsoft has such a dominant market share and we the consumer have no choice (why this is not a monopoly is beyond belief) unless you are a tech geek and can figure out how to use LINUX. 

By the way, I also got this error message again on this newer machine with Windows 7 Ultimate and thought, oh no here we go again, but uninstalled the software, ran Comodo Registry Cleaner, deleted all HP files/folders, etc on the computer and in the registry, reinstalled the software and it is working fine again. 

I know, spending more money on a Windows operating system feels like you are being taken, but unfortunatley it is the only solution I have found.  My son is still runnign Windows Vista and he has problems EVERY week.  Pretty soon I am going to break down and get him Windows 7 also. Good Luck!

Also, you can find Comodo's Registry Cleaner software (remember it's FREE and highly rated) here:

http://system-cleaner.comodo.com/

"Any time you have the opportunity to make a difference in this world, and you don't, then you are wasting your time on Earth." - Roberto Clemente
Student
compdummy
Message 8 of 17 (15,430 Views)

I originally used this machine - Officejet 6500 E709a - with a windows XP system & all functions including scan worked ok. Now on a windows 7 machine I cannot scan.

I have reinstalled the software at least a dozen times over the past several months from both the original disc & HP's website but am still getting a variety of installation errors or "No Scan Options" when I try to scan. Have also downloaded the HP Diagnostic Printer Tools and followed the instructions on "HP Installation Error - Windows 7" response I received from HP. In all cases the solution seems to revolve around uninstalling & reinstalling the software endlessly. Also I spent over 2 hours with an HP service tech with similar non-results.

I have very limited technical ability (as in none - signing up just to be able to post on this forum is about my limit) so while any helpful assistance is appreciated, please know that anything more technical than "click here" will likely be over my head.

thanks in advance, RW

wfo Student
Student
wfo
Message 9 of 17 (15,344 Views)

I have the exact problem with my officejet 6500 E709a that you do.  Please advise if you find a solution.  Thanks

Student
mhk34881
Message 10 of 17 (12,636 Views)

I likewise am having problems with my HP Officejet 6500 wireless on scanning using the HP Solution Center software. I downloaded the HP Scan diagnostics software and ran it. I successfully scanned something during the test scan feature...but the HP SC software still doesn't 'see' the scanner/printer. Other programs successfully print documents. It's looking like there's a bug in the Solution Center software.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation