HP Support Forums
Join in the conversation.
04-02-2010 03:11 PM
I've read all the previous posts on this topic, and while several seem close to my situation, none are exactly the same. So here goes.
- Do I need the two files listed below to be able to SCAN?
- Where can I find the latest software patch from HP to get this to work?
- Short of giving up, returning the printer and buying an Epson or Lexmark, what can I do to be able to SCAN pictures
and documents into pdf or jpg files, have the scanner save the files, so I can email them out?
2. Problem Statement - Need to be able to SCAN!
Heres what happens
- Case 1 - Scan from printer - press SCAN button and get "No scan options, refer to device documentation"
- Case 2 - Scan from HP Solution Center - press SCAN document and it hangs on graphic of scanner
- Case 3 - In HP Solution Center, click on Setting, then click on scan settings, then click on any scan setting, and it hangs
on graphic of scanner
- Dell Latitude D620 Laptop running Windows XP SP2, with Adobe Flash Player 10.0.45.2 loaded
- Purchased HP Officejet 6500 E709n 3/2/2010
- Printer is connected to laptop thru USB cable, from a known working USB port on laptop
- Printer is plugged directly into wall socket, not into a power strip
- Spent 6 hours on phone/Internet with HP Tech Support in March. No success. They "elevated this to their engineering" after recording a session log of the remote fixes they tried, on March 26th.
- Exchanged printer for new one 4/2/2010
- Printer is running version 12.0.0 software from startup CD.
- Somehow I am missing these files (searched startup CD and they aren't there) which page 12 of the users manual
implies I should have
- HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqscnvw.exe
- HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqthb08.exe
- Windows firewall is open to all other programs listed in page 12 of users manual
- Opened Windows firewall to all UDP and TCP ports listed in page 12 of users manual #CB057-90004 entitled "Officejet Wireless Getting Started Guide"
- Prints fine
- Copies fine
- Haven't tried faxing yet
Running the "HP All In One Check" validates I am running the latest drivers for this printer.
04-03-2010 01:53 PM
HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqscnvw.exe - This file is required. When you press on "Scan" button in the solution center, this file is executed. In the case described, Solution Center is not able to find this file and hence freezing.
Thry this: -
1. Download this. This is the full feature software for the printer.
2. Extract the package.
3. Start >> Run >> Type - %temp% >> Hit Enter.
4. Look for a folder that starts with "7z....". Open it.
5. Look for folder "Util". Open it
6. Look for folder "CCC". Open it and run the file "Uninstall_L3"
7. Restart the computer.
8. Start >> Run >> Type - %temp% >> Hit Enter. Run the file "Setup.exe"
9. Complete the installation.
10. Check if you have the file now. (C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqscnvw.exe)
11. If it is present, you should be able to Scan.
Please revert with your findings.
11-30-2010 06:47 PM
my HP Officejet 6500 prints fine and worked great with scanning until I reinstalled on my new computer. Now the copy and printerfunctions work but scan says; no scan options refer to documentation. I don't know what that statement is referring to. Please advise.
06-29-2011 10:29 AM
I need to be able to Scan from the printer. When I press SCAN button and I get "No scan options, refer to device documentation"
I did this. However, I'm still getting the same answer.
Thank you for your help
07-13-2011 07:50 AM
My hp officejet 6500 shows "no scan options", yet I can scan one page at a time from my computer. Doesn't that mean my officejet is hooked up properly? I have not had any problems until recently. "no scan options" just doesn't make sense. Please help.
Also, a funny story for HP. When I bought the officejet 6500, it was primarily to be able to scan multiple pages into one document via the top feeder. The store clerk in more than one store (won't mention them) told me that the feed tray was only for copying and NOT FOR SCANNING. I knew this couldn't be true and bought it anyway and was pleased to find out that the store clerks were all wrong. HP may want to educate these people.
09-04-2011 11:46 AM
1. All of a sudden my all in one OfficeJet 6500 will not scan. Says no scan options .Somewhere along the line I have scnned eight things and all of a sudden things do not work. What do I need to do to remedy this?
2. I do twenty copies on one cartridge and I am told that I am running out of Ink. Is there an alternative to having to purchase HP cartridges. I think the equivelent of about $4000 a gallon is too expensive.
09-27-2011 04:07 PM
I'm in the same boat. My printer displays the same error when I try to scan to my Vista 64 desktop. I cannot get the Solution Center to open, it gives me an error about "your device installation is not complete". I've tried everything I could find to resolve that, and no luck.
I can get around it by doing a single page at a time from the glass, using some Windows-native programs, but I should NOT have to do that.
I've even done a full level 4 uninstall and reinstalled everything - numerous times.
I can scan from the printer if my laptop (Windows XP) is booted up. It does not have the Solutions Center installed, which is very strange.
09-27-2011 06:52 PM
Oh - and I've looked and that .exe file mentioned above is not to be found. I looked in c:\program files (86)\HP\Digital Imaging\Bin. No luck. I tried in the same path without the "(86)" but that had nothing for HP at all.
Windows Vista 64 bit. It actually works well when my laptop (XP) is booted up, I get no errors at all.