Question

Honor Student
usercw5
Message 1 of 5 (1,004 Views)

HP Officejet 6500A Plus fax is dialing too fast

my HP Officejet 6500A Plus start-up book says that problems with sending a fax may be that the printer is dialing too fast.  It suggests putting dashes (pauses) in berween the numbers.  It says press .@ key and then a (dash or hyphen symbol.)  There is no dash or hyphen on the keypad for me to insert between the numbers (ex: 1-410-340-4910.)

HP Fax Test report shows FAIL on "dial tone."  I can hear a quick dial tone during the test just before the auto dial.

I set fax speed to low; no help.  I tried the suggested "manual fax from glass" solution and I DO get a solid loud dial tone.  Fax test still fails.

Background: Using Win7 on a laptop to the wireless printer,  Using Vonage VoIP for phone service.  All house phone jacks are dead after discontinuing/disconnecting Verizon phone service.  Using a Radio Shack Wireless Phone Jack System adapter (2) to connect phones over house current wiring to the Vonage router.

Ideas please...???

Master's Graduate
kawaii_aoi
Message 2 of 5 (997 Views)

Re: HP Officejet 6500A Plus fax is dialing too fast

Hi usercw5,

Please enlighten me with your wireless phone jack system as this might be the primary reason why you're getting the "Dial Tone Detection" test failed. Is it similar to a VoIP?

If it is a VoIP, you may want to check on this article: Faxing Over a Voice Over Internet Protocol (VoIP) Service

If your telephone system is not using a standard dialtone, such as the one used by some PBX systems, the test might fail. This will not cause a problem in sending or receiving faxes.Try sending or receiving a test fax.

As far as I know, the HP product can only be connected thru an analog phone line or you will not be able to send/receive a fax. Also, use the telephone cord that came with your HP product. If the Dial Tone Detection test continues to fail, contact your telephone company and have them check the phoneline

Let me know how it goes.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Cheers! :smileyhappy:

* If this post has helped you, the White Kudos star on the left is a great way to say thanks!
* Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem so other users can benefit as well.
Honor Student
usercw5
Message 3 of 5 (989 Views)

The telephone wiring accessory is a device that plugs into an electrical outlet and the phone or fax plugs into the device.  A second device is plugged into another electrical outlet and that has 2 phone connectors - one to the base unit of my wirless phones and the other phone jack is wired to the Vonage router.  The HP fax test fails whe it does an auto-dial.  When I try the procedure to fax manually (not actually send something - just go through the steps - I get a nice dial tone.

Also, as to adding a pause between the digits in the outgoing fax phone number; the instructions say hit the .@ key.  This brings up a little pop-up with an asterisk, a dash, and some other codes.  When I touch that item I get an asterisk.  I can't figure out how to select the dash in that pop-up.

Ideas?  Thanks.

Master's Graduate
kawaii_aoi
Message 4 of 5 (984 Views)

Hi again!

Still researching further on your case, found some helpful fax setup here - OJ 6500a Plus manual

Other equipment, which uses the same phone line as the device, might be causing the test to fail. To determine if the other equipment is causing a problem, disconnect everything from the phone line, and then run the test again. If the device passes the Dial Tone Detection Test without the oher equipment connected, then one or more pieces of the equipment is causing problems. Try adding them back one at a time and rerunning the test each time, until you identify which piece is causing the problem.

I'm sure you're doing the right thing about the pauses. Since you have a soft touch pad, try touching that @ key several times until you've selected the dash.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Cheers! :smileyhappy:

* If this post has helped you, the White Kudos star on the left is a great way to say thanks!
* Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem so other users can benefit as well.
Honor Student
usercw5
Message 5 of 5 (981 Views)

Thank you!  Pause (dash) dialing problem appears to be solved.  Will work on the fax test issue tomorrow.  Thanks again!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation