Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Officejet 6700 Premium
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

HP 6700 Premium has stopped scanning and copying.  Drivers and firmware are up to date.  Printing is not a problem.

When 'copy' is intiated the display shows the busy icon and then does nothing else.

When scan is initiated from the device, the same result with the exception of an error message on the computer.  "Scanner Unreachable.  Scanner communication cannot be established."   When the scan is initiated from the computer the same result. 

All fault finding on the communication error has been fruitless.  The HP diagnostic tool finds the same error but offers no solution except to contact HP.  It also seems misleading because I can print and fax without problems, the network is stable and all other network functions are ok. Switching on and off the firewalls made no difference to the error. The same behaviour is evident from multiple computers (all configured the same with W7Premium SP1).

I deduce that the problem lies with the scan head or workings and beyond my ability to remediate but I would welcome any advice on how to test further or what else might be the problem with scan and copy.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi @Algenon 

It sounds to me like you are experiencing a scanner hardware failure. Do you have the printer connected directly to a wall outlet or is it in a surge protector or power bar? Even if you have been using a surge protector/power bar all this time and you feel it is not the cause, please connect it to a wall outlet just so we can eliminate the power source as the root cause.   Issues when Connected to an Uninterruptible Power Supply/Power Strip/Surge Protector

In this document you will see, ISSUE: Problems or issues may arise when an HP LaserJet series printer is connected to an uninterruptible power supply (UPS), a power strip, or a surge protector

^ This is not limited to Laserjet printers.

If the printer is already connected to a wall outlet, or if you move it and the issue persists, please use the following document to troubleshoot the issue; A 'Scanner Failure' Message Displays on the Printer Control Panel.

Best of luck.

Sunshyn2005
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended
You are correct. The scanner hardware is faulty. It seems a new device is cheaper than a fix. Thanks for the help.
HP Recommended

MAC operating system

Opening scanner from system preferences. Scan window opens

but not able to continue after as the next window does not present abliity to click on an operation.

Have turned printer off/on.

Checked connection - it is

HP Recommended
I'm having the same problem, printer will not copy. Plugging directly into wall, doing a hard reset didn't help, and the firmware is up to date. It's now out of warranty and the second hp printer in a row to malfunction in the same way.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.