Question

Top Student
YellowSubmarine
Message 1 of 32 (1,225 Views)
Accepted Solution

HP Officejet Pro 8500 A910 Premium will not fax from computer with Windows 8

My printer worked great on Win XP and I could fax directly from the printer or from the computer.  I installed Windows 8 32 bit (I'm running an older system that works fine for everything I use it for -thank you very much), and downloaded the latest greatest HP driver & software for Win 8 32 bit.  Everything works perfectly, except faxing from the computer.

If I run the fax test from the printer, the fax test PASSES.  If I run the fax test from the computer, the fax test PASSES.

If I put documents in the printer feeder and use the printer fax functions, it faxes beautifully.

It is only when I fax from the computer, the screen pops up with a status of spooling, then the status turns to Cancelled every time.

It always worked on Win XP.

The FAX printer and FAX driver for the FAX printer showed up in Control Panel automatically when I installed the updated drivers/software from HP.  All the properties on the FAX printer look good.

I tried a usb connection, and a network ethernet connection, with the same results. 

Printing and scanning all work fine.  I really like this printer, and I would like it even more if I could figure out how to get it to fax a document from the computer.

When I say fax from the computer, I mean opening a document, saying Print, selecting Fax - HP Officejet Pro 8500 A910, filling in the fax information page, selecting my cover page options, and pressing the send fax.  All just like I used to do before I upgraded to Win 8.  When I hit send fax, that is when I get the popup that the fax is spooling, then it goes to cancelled.  No error codes are displayed, no clues as to why, no nothing.  If I print the document and put it in the printer document feeder, I can fax it using the printer display screen no problem.

Very bizarre.

Regents Professor
AlwaysNeon
Message 2 of 32 (1,191 Views)

I would recommend a complete uninstallation/reinstallation of the printer. First be sure to remove the printer completely from Programs and Features, Devices and Printers, and the Device Manager. Hit the windows key and type "%temp%" and open the folder it directs you to. Clear all the saved files and folders there (some may not delete). Then after restarting the computer follow the link below and install the printer's full feature software and not the basic package:

http://goo.gl/3B5Br

Do this and see if you are able to fax from your PC after updating the software.

Have a great day!

:smileyhappy:
Top Student
YellowSubmarine
Message 3 of 32 (1,186 Views)

Re: HP Officejet Pro 8500 A910 Premium will not fax from computer with Windows 8

Thank you but it did not work.  There is definitely a bug in the Win 8 32bit FAX driver from HP.

Regents Professor
AlwaysNeon
Message 4 of 32 (1,171 Views)

This may be an issue with the firmware, lets make sure that you have updated that to the most recent version:

http://goo.gl/xeGQr

I would check that and see if its the firmware that is effecting the faxing feature of the printer.

Try that and contact me and if it works or if we need to continue working towards a solution.

Have a great day!

:smileyhappy:
Top Student
YellowSubmarine
Message 5 of 32 (1,165 Views)

Re: HP Officejet Pro 8500 A910 Premium will not fax from computer with Windows 8

Thanks for your help.  I followed the instructions, and there was a firmware upgrade available.  Since the printer is networked connected by ethernet, I used the printer control panel to download and apply the firmware upgrade.  I ran a FAX test from the PC, and everything was a PASS.  I reran the FAX test from the printer control panel and again everything was a PASS.  Then I tried to fax a document from the PC, and alas, no joy.  Same popup appears, "sendafax.doc" is spooling, then after about 30 seconds or so, "cancelled" shows up in the status.  I rebooted the printer, and my machine and tried again.  Same result.

You gave me a good tip about the firmware upgrade, and for that I thank you.  Do you have any other ideas I can try?  Is there a new driver coming out any time soon for WIN 8 32 bit?

Thanks for your help.

Regents Professor
AlwaysNeon
Message 6 of 32 (1,163 Views)

First, I don't know why I have failed to say it so far, but I love your moniker on here. One of my favorite Beatles albums ... or do you actually mean a banana colored submersible?

In any event, I am actually looking more into this issue now. I will get back to you when I try it on my Win8 machine here and see if I run into any issues like you are experiencing. I am also going to communicate with my colleagues as well and see if they have any additional input. For now I can only recommend using the hard-copy faxing from the machine as your best work-around option at this time.

Have a great day and I will let you know more when I know more!
Top Student
YellowSubmarine
Message 7 of 32 (1,161 Views)

I never get tired of hearing that song.  Great album, I agree.

Hey thanks for not giving up on me.  All features work except that one.  Thankfully I can always print the documents and fax them using the feeder.  By all means though, keep me updated if you encounter any other ideas.

Regents Professor
AlwaysNeon
Message 8 of 32 (1,140 Views)

Alright, I spoke with some of the engineers and they sugg...

[ Edited ]

Alright, I spoke with some of the engineers and they suggested the next few steps. First, here is a thread on an MS forum about removing a driver in an alternate fashion.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc730875.aspx

Another thing to note is that in Win8 you can easily access the Command Prompt by hitting the windows key and typing “command prompt.”

Additionally, I will PM you some further steps on removing the vestiges of the software from the back-end of your PC. You will HAVE to be sure to follow those instructions to the letter.

Do these two things and let me know what happens after you install the printer again from the direct download link I have already provided above.

Let me know and have a great day!  

Top Student
YellowSubmarine
Message 9 of 32 (1,118 Views)

Re: Alright, I spoke with some of the engineers and they sugg...

Thank you.  Your instructions for making changes in the registry did the trick.

I deviated slightly from your instructions, though.  I created a restore point prior to running regedit,

just a habit I got into long ago when working in the registry.

Thanks for your help and for sticking with me long enough to find a solution.

Student
amazin0
Message 10 of 32 (1,030 Views)

Re: Alright, I spoke with some of the engineers and they sugg...

Could I get that pm you sent, I need those instructions also, I am having the same problem, ty

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation