HP Officejet Pro 8500 A910 won't scan (43905 Views)
Top Student
Spitz1605
Message 1 of 45 (43,905 Views)

HP Officejet Pro 8500 A910 won't scan

I have a HP Officejet Pro 8500 A910 set up wireless.  It prints from my computers fine. Makes copies fine.  It won't scan.  I get messages saying it is in useas a scanner or that it can't communicate with the scanner.  Disabling firewalls doesn't solve problem.

Student
itm8
Message 2 of 45 (43,846 Views)

Re: HP Officejet Pro 8500 A910 won't scan

I am having exactly the same problem. My "add printer" function will find the printer, but the HP setup will not find it.. This prevents scanning to network location amongst other things. I have disabled firewal. Running windows 7 pro 64

Top Student
Spitz1605
Message 3 of 45 (43,842 Views)

I got mine running now.  I contacted the HP Total Care support folks and they were a tremendous help.  In my case the Activate to Scan to Computer was not enabled.  Either I did not have it enabled initially or the computer shut down.  Anyway, if you go to;   http://www.hp.com/go/totalcare  they should be able to get you running.

They sent me a link that led me thru the setup:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c02456684&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&product=4083969&tmp...

NOTE: Clicking the link may give an error indicating it is invalid.  If this occurs, copy the portion of the address on the remaining line(s) and paste it at the end of the address showing in your browser until the complete address is displayed in the Address box.

I hope this helps you!

Honor Student
sholtald
Message 4 of 45 (43,792 Views)

I had the exact problem with my new HP 6500a OfficejetPro. The solution is simple. Simply move the printer closer to the wireless router without any obstruction between the two and try and place them both at or near the same height level. Doing these two simple things will eliminate your scan error, and produce a reliable scan each time. I had to figure this one out on my own. Lesson well learned. Good luck!

Honor Student
sholtald
Message 5 of 45 (43,789 Views)

I had the exact problem with my new HP 6500a OfficejetPro. The solution is simple. Simply move the printer closer to the wireless router without any obstruction between the two and try and place them both at or near the same height level. Doing these two simple things will eliminate your scan error, and produce a reliable scan each time. I had to figure this one out on my own. Lesson well learned.

Student
Hwedhlor
Message 6 of 45 (42,440 Views)

I've just spent an entire day trying to get my HP Officejet Pro 8500A Premium printer to do a simple, duplexed scan job to a pdf file.  I've got the printer only 12 feet from the wireless router, and I've made certain that the printer is recognized by the network, and authorized by the firewall.  I first tried scanning with the Readiris Pro 12 software that HP supplied with my HP Touchsmart tm2 laptop, on which I am running Windows 7 Pro 64 bit.  I was able to scan 46 pages successfully, but then all of a sudden I started to get half-inch vertical black bars on every page.  Readiris support told me HP had yet to write a TWAIN driver for Windows 7 64 bit, so I switched to my desktop that is running Windows XP Pro 32 bit.  Now the Readiris software would not recognize that the document feeder had a document in it!!  That's bunk, cause the printer recognized that document as present, and would successfully copy it.  I tried asking HP for their advice.  They had the effrontery to tell me the Readiris Pro 12 software THEY SUPPLIED would not work with their latest and greatest (and most expensive) inkjet printer!!! 

HP suggested I use their software to do the scan.  I tried that, but the HP software could not even successfully scan a single, two-sided page!  It failed to scan the entire side of either side, giving me an error saying there was insufficient image to form a page.  Not only that, but the HP software gave me the same half-inch vertical bar I was getting previously, but this time it was brighter than the rest of the page.

So far as I'm concerned both HP and IRIS manufactur garbage, and only give placating statement and excuses to their customers about the hardware and software they produce which is not capable of completing the very tasks it was intended (AND ADVERTISED) to be capable of doing!!!

As far as I'm concerned I'll buy another brand of printer, and another brand of OCR from now on!

Student
bootsboy
Message 7 of 45 (41,163 Views)

Same thing - won't scan to computer - says "no computer found" although computer can find the printer.  Tech could not solve so I escalated my problem to corporate - worthless -corporate said it was a wireless router issue and told me to contact the router mfg.   I called Linksys and they said that was NUTS because if the wireless can work one direction from computer to printer, it can work the other direction printer to computer.  TO BE POSITIVE I installed a brand new Wireless Router and SAME THING which proves it is not a wireless router problem.

I'm using windows 7- (64) -  on one computer and Vista on another and same problem with BOTH

I've owned 2 HP computers and 5 HP all-in-ones (business and home office).  I've seen a definite decline in quality/reliability/tech assistance plus a local independent says he is getting more repairs in the last 18 months than EVER, to the point he will no longer sell HP.  

I have no choice but to try some other brand - I just hope I am not going from BAD TO WORSE.

Student
Pruitt
Message 8 of 45 (40,927 Views)

I've used the HP Officejet Pro 8500 A910 for about two months now and can say this as a systems administrator and programmer:

1--It has a TON of promise.  They really threw in the kitchen sink with this printer...wired, wireless, scan to computer, network drives, etc.  It has features galore.

2--BUT, if you want to use them, you'd better, and I mean this sincerely, you'd BETTER run it WIRED.  The wireless is just plain flaky.  We have it on a MAC and PC network; one day it works fine.  The next day the scan to computer won't recognize computers on the network.  The next day it won't acquire an email address.  The list is ENDLESS when you connect wirelessly.  Plug her into an Ethernet port on your router and THE PROBLEMS DISAPPEAR COMPLETELY.  

It's a shame because wireless is what most users need and HP and their software engineers just fell short on this one.  I don't know if it's the encryption or what, but it's telling to me that you can connect wired and there is NO PROBLEM ON ANYTHING.  HP needs to investigate this.

3--The printer driver, in keeping with HP standards, is a MEMORY HOG of EPIC PROPORTIONS!  I know for a fact that the driver has a memory leak because I can watch it acquire memory.  It starts out as a ~30Mb program and, within two days, is a ~60Mb program.  HP has ALWAYS had flaky memory issues but this one takes the cake.

Long story short:  This printer is frugal on ink (great), prints FAST (great) and, when hooked up directly to your router, simply rocks.  Wirelessly, you take your chances.  Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.  But it NEVER works completely wirelessly; apps don't work, you can't print from your iPhone somedays and other days you cannot scan.  

Typical HP but, saying that, at least they have UNIX CUPS support, which means a lot to me.

Top Student
iSolveProblems
Message 9 of 45 (40,769 Views)

Okay, I have found the solution to about 85% of your problems. Just throw it away (J/K). What I did was.......

Uninstall the entire HP Products from my PC. Then Reinstalled using the HP installation disc. Now here is the part that 8500 users need to do in order to scan documents to they're computer.

Click Start menu, Then click All Programs, Then click HP, Then click HP 8500 folder (in my case its HP Officejet pro 8500 A910) , Then click connect a new Printer, then select Network (Ethernet/Wireless), Follow the steps and installation steps (I know it seems like you've done this already when installing the software, but it's doing something different. TRUST ME) And Voila. No need to thank me, Im just saving alot of people out there some headaches. Now to let mines go. Whew

Honor Student
Aunchient
Message 10 of 45 (40,427 Views)

I got the same warm, embracing service from the "Escalation Center." They told me there 's "nothing we can do," that the problem is all mine, and "we've sold millions of these and no one else has ever had a problem."  Judging from this forum, that might be an exaggeration.  Just before I ended the conversation, I asked if there was anyplace to go where I might find some help fixing this.  Response - "No." 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation