Question
HP Officejet Pro 8500 A910 won't scan
Replies (47)

Honor Student
ecaatp
Message 31 of 48 (3,633 Views)

Re: HP Officejet Pro 8500 A910 won't scan

I may have something new to add. Three PCs and printer on wired ethernet. One PC (Win XP) receives message "The HP Officejet Pro 8500 A910 was not found." The other two (Win XP and Win 7) scan to PC ok. The problem PC does not show a scanner installed in Control Center/devices. In the working XP, shows as Control Center\Scanners and Cameras\HP Officejet Pro 8500 A910 (NET). In Win7  as ...\Device Manager\Imaging devices\HP Officejet Pro 8500 A910 (NET). Have tried all variations of off/on, reboot, uninstall/install software. The problem XP PC did, originally, recognize scanner. It still recognizes printer ok for printing.

In summary, I have one PC that has lost its ability to scan from HP 8500 to PC. I have two other PCs that work fine, one XP and the other Win7. The most obvious symptom I can see is the missing scan drivers from Control Center. Any thoughts? 

Honor Student
ecaatp
Message 32 of 48 (3,508 Views)

Re: HP Officejet Pro 8500 A910 won't scan - New Information?

I have three PCs on an ethernet cable network. All three worked fine and allowed scanning from the 8500 to a PDF file on each PC. One of the PCs stopped working a couple of months ago. Since I can compare the 3 PCs, I may have come up with a clue that will lead to a solution for me, and perhaps others. Let me first summarize the setup:

Two PCs are XP, one is Windows 7. The Win 7 and one of the XPs work fine. I found that the problem XP does not show a scanner installed in Control Center/devices. In the working XP, the scanner shows as Control Center\Scanners and Cameras\HP Officejet Pro 8500 A910 (NET). In Win7 it shows as ...\Device Manager\Imaging devices\HP Officejet Pro 8500 A910 (NET). Thus, it looks like I need to get the scanner specifically reinstalled. (What made it go missing?)

The error: "The HP Officejet Pro 8500 A910 was not found" occurs in all cases where I try to scan and create a PDF file on the afflicted PC. I believe there are at least 4 ways to attempt to open the scan dialog, including one from the printer’s menus. All produce the error message which displays on the PC.

All other printing functions seem to work fine on all three PCs.

From previous online advise, I have tried the following–several times and in different combinations:

1)  From "Scanner Actions"/"Activate scan to computer" in menu from HP Officejet Pro 8500 A910, placed "Scan to computer is activated" in lower-right toolbar.

2) Uninstalled and reinstalled printer software. From original disk and well as from downloads.

3) Downloaded "HP Scan Diagnostic Utility." and ran. It produces the above error message and offers no further assistance. (Checks out ok on the other 2 PCs.)

Since the scan function originally worked ok on the one XP PC, and since it continues to work ok on he remaining XP as well as the Win7 PC, it should be possible to eliminate some of the suspected origins of the problem.

In summary, is there a way to get the scanner drivers specifically reinstalled to the afflicted XP PC?

I have tried to be a responsible consumer and check everything I I can on my own. Help?

Honor Student
batt_guy
Message 33 of 48 (3,442 Views)

I have the exact same problem.  Windows XP Professional on an HP 6530b Laptop and it forgets how to find the scanner (worked fine after the install.  The scanner pings at the proper IP and everything works on a windows 7 machine I have access to, but not on my computer.

PLEASE HELP US BOTH!!

Thanks!

Top Student
Todo
Message 34 of 48 (2,881 Views)

Re: HP Officejet Pro 8500g won't scan from HP notebook

I have a new HP notebook Pavilion DV6. it recognised the Officejetpro 8500g  immediately but does not recognise the scanner. I have reloaded softwear to no avail help please

Honor Student
batt_guy
Message 35 of 48 (2,872 Views)

I found only one solution so far, but fortunately it works good enough for me. For scanning I go to the website, which is either the printer's name //HP.....or the IP address. This actually seems to work better for me than the original software. Only note is that you are best using Internet Explorer...Chrome and Firefox don't have the same save options.

As for the printer I had a little trouble after trying the HP troubleshooting software and reintalling. I found that I did the printer install manually through windows XP and that seemed to work. Did not have a way to setup the scanner that way though.
Top Student
Todo
Message 36 of 48 (2,866 Views)

Thank you. I have tried everything including the website and new drivers.  The printer works like a charm on wireless but it will not scan.  It also squeals on start up and won't regognise my contacts.  I don't think I like HP very much.

Honor Student
batt_guy
Message 37 of 48 (2,865 Views)

Yeah I am just another user, so sounds like the actual scanner mechanism is messed up. Good Luck I would suggest calling HP I had good luck with calling about some servers at work.
Top Student
Todo
Message 38 of 48 (2,842 Views)

Thank you 

Honor Student
gittester12
Message 39 of 48 (2,838 Views)

The solution from "isolveproblems" (message #9 in this forum) worked for me, even though what I had was a Photosmart 5510.  It can't hurt to try!  (I'd flag it as a solution, but I can't even figure out how to do THAT)

Honor Student
trbodden
Message 40 of 48 (1,253 Views)

I have a setup which includes 2 wi fi note books and two hard wired win7's and two hard wired printers, pro 8500 a909a and an old but beautiful lj 5m. I had the devil of a time trying to get some of them to work after HDD changes and SSD boot drives added. It was very mysterious how the scanner just would not work from the HP control center but would work from MS paint.

In the end, and after many reinstalls, my solution turned out to be an obvious oversight on my part. Since I had multiple computers on the network I had to install the HP software on each computer, as I am only using win7 home premium. In the instructions on HP's download site, the install instructions state "make sure the printer is disconnected" at the start of the install. I had been trying to install the s/w with the printer still on the network. After I removed it and waited for the s/w to tell me to plug it in, everything went swimmingly. So I removed all HP s/w (http://www.askvg.com/how-to-completely-uninstall-remove-a-software-program-in-windows-without-using-...), removed the printer from the router, started setup from the HP s/w and installed the printer when the s/w asked for it. Voila!

Seems to me to be some bad coding there (like a message to remove the printer before starting the install) but that is for others to figure out.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation