Question

Student
mkjuaire
Message 1 of 8 (2,176 Views)

HP Officejet Pro 8500 Scanner Errors

I am experiencing frequent scanner errors with my Officejet 8500 all in one. It only happens during autofeed. It feeds, and scans the first sheet successfully, and then "crashes". There is a message on my computer saying the scanner has a problem and must shut down. The extended error info that's displayed is 8, [(4,0,-2147023170)]. The only way to continue is to unplug the Office jet 8500 (because it won't allow me to cancel out of the scan function)...wait for a few minutes...plug it back in...and try it again when it has completed the start up routine.

Any suggestions on fixes. I'm using windows XP.

Honor Student
dondiidnod
Message 2 of 8 (2,167 Views)

Re: HP Officejet Pro 8500 Scanner Errors

Having the same problem.... I can scan fine when using my computer (from either webscan utility or the HP Scan app), but when I try to scan using the 8500 Plus' Auto Document Feeder and try to scan to a PDF to a network folder from the printer's little screen interface, the all-in-one printer feeds the document almost all the way through the feeder,  "scans it", and gets stuck when trying to save the PDF to the network folder, I look in my network scan folder and every time, the PDF is not fully completely written (always 17K PDFs). I do not believe it is a network issue because I can do the same process by placing the document on the glass and use my computer (again, either webscan or the HP Scan app) to scan a PDF into my network scan folder.

Again, my problem is with using scan PDF to network folder using the printer's interface and the auto document feeder. -- gets stuckwhile writing the PDF to the scan folder (17K) -- only way to remedy is to unplug printer and restart -- then scan using the glass and computer interface

HP OfficeJet 8500 Plus

PC = Windows XP (should not be an issue, but just FYI)

Honor Student
djmayes
Message 3 of 8 (2,157 Views)

Go to www.hp.com/support  and select Download Drivers and Software.  

Then type your printer/scanner model number.  (eg Officejet 4500) and GO

Then select your printer from the list.

Then next screen asks for your operating system and then Go.....

At the bottom of this list are 4 utilities - use the scanning and see what it shows - mine downloaded an update and it was fixed!

Good luck

Honor Student
dondiidnod
Message 4 of 8 (2,154 Views)

Are you referring to the HP Scan Diagnostic Utility (HPSDU.exe)?? Already tried this... no update was induced

Tutor
midtower65
Message 5 of 8 (1,120 Views)

Same here!  I have tried all those supposely magic utilities to no avail..... I wonder if HP would replace my HP for another one that works with HP solution??????????

Still getting scan error in the HP Solutions splash screen.... come on HP fix this problem. After trying everything, I am about to dump this 8500 and buy a Canon.  I can't believe this is even happening.

I have had this Officejet Pro 8500 A909g for approximately 2 years or less.  This is one joke of a printer!!!!!

One more week of this and good bye HP forever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Regents Professor
AlwaysNeon
Message 6 of 8 (1,070 Views)

Generally scanning errors stem from a coordination problem in the software or a permission that has been lost, forgotten or omitted by the OS. In that case I would recommend a complete and clean uninstallation and reinstallation.

First if you use a USB cord, make sure to remove it. Do not plug it back in until the software directs you to. Then go through the Devices and Printers, Programs and Features and Device Manager folders and insure that all copies, files, and programs related to the printer are removed. Then as directed, restart the computer. 

In the START menu type "%temp%" and press ENTER. Here I want you to press Ctrl+A and hit DELETE. Some of the files will not allow you to delete them, skip those files and delete the majority that allows it. 

Then follow this link to download the full feature software and drivers for the printer (be sure to select your correct OS): 

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=3752459&

Install that and let me know the result! 

Have a great day!
:smileyhappy:

Tutor
midtower65
Message 7 of 8 (1,067 Views)

Thank you and Shane for providing us with some help.

Strange, I bought a 30 dollar gold end USB printer cable and still don't work.  As far as a reinstall of Windows 7, if that's what your suggesting, that will be a no go.  But thank you for your time and concern.

Regents Professor
AlwaysNeon
Message 8 of 8 (1,064 Views)

I would hope that you would go through those steps. If you have been using the disc that came with the machine it likely has out-dated drivers, and the link that I posted above has a greater chance at success with subsequent OS versions. 

If you are still having the issue, I would like to do what I can to help you out, but I have to have a good baseline to work from. This is the most basic and preliminary step and from there all other steps are established. 

Have a good night! 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation