Question

Honor Student
Josh42
Message 1 of 51 (47,166 Views)

HP Officejet Pro 8500A Plus - How to enable scan to computer?

Hello,

I am running Windows 7.  My printer says that in order to scan to computer from the device, I need to enable it in the settings on my computer.  Where is that setting?  I couldn't find it in the manual or anywhere.

Thanks,

Josh

PhD Student
Praveen_David
Message 2 of 51 (47,121 Views)

Re: HP Officejet Pro 8500A Plus - How to enable scan to computer?

Hi Josh,

On the computer desktop screen do you see printer icon which says HP Officejet 8500A series ? If YES, double click it. Then double click "Scanner Actions" and then you can see the option "Activate Scan to computer".

Note: In order to use scan button on the printer, this feature should always be activated. Once activated, if you restart the printer or computer, this needs to be re-activated again.

Say "Thanks" by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
Honor Student
Josh42
Message 3 of 51 (47,111 Views)

Hi,

I deleted the desktop icon a long time ago.

Josh

Honor Student
jagjpc
Message 4 of 51 (46,753 Views)

I have the same problem and question, the instructions are too vague. After double clicking the icon there is no "scanner actions" link to click, where do I find it to enable this option. Ive looked all over the software, the menus on the printer, all icons it preinstalled, its just not there.

Also initiating the scan from my pc works, but when it says scan done , click save icon to save. there is no save icon anywhere on the screen either. How do I actually get this thing to scan anything?

Student
wmilam
Message 5 of 51 (46,723 Views)

So far all of the response seem to lead to nowhere. Any chance that someone from HP will help us out here?

PhD Student
Super_Dave
Message 6 of 51 (46,675 Views)

We have two printers with a similar name, the OJ 8500 and the OJ 8500A.  These two printers have different versions or types of software.  The OJ 8500A has the requirement of activating scan.  I would add to the previous instructions that the scan has to be reactivated if the computer or printer enters sleep mode also.

If you have deleted the icon from the desktop, it can be accessed in other locations. 

Click Start

Other Programs (or Programs)

HP

then select your version of the printer by name.

The icon that was deleted should be on the list.

Otherwise the requirement listed in previous directions is correct.

I was an HP employee.

Honor Student
Christine16
Message 7 of 51 (46,232 Views)

[ Edited ]

It took me quite a while to figure it out!  Do not click any of the links, instead place the cursor over the scan icon and double click.  It will open up another page and you will see the "Activate the Scan to Computer".  Click on that to enable and then you are done.  Works like a charm.

Running Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit.

Wow, that was a waste of an hour out of my life!

Christine

Student
daryn
Message 8 of 51 (46,160 Views)

Hi

your solution is the working one thanks. But is there no fix to keep the computers accepting scans to pc.after a reboot? defeat's the purpose if you have to activate it each time.This is beyond the lady's in my offices understanding. It would be a great help that it can be alowed permanently.

"Note: In order to use scan button on the printer, this feature should always be activated. Once activated, if you restart the printer or computer, this needs to be re-activated again."

PhD Student
Super_Dave
Message 9 of 51 (46,065 Views)

A printer attached by USB should be more resistent to the need to activate scan as often.  The drawback of course is that the printer must be within 15 feet of the computer and only 1 computer can be attached to the printer by USB.

An advantage is that the printer can be attached to a network and to USB at the same time.

I was an HP employee.

Honor Student
NTech
Message 10 of 51 (45,556 Views)

Super Dave,

Thanks for your input here. I would add that the missing shortcut can be recreated, but probably not by the average consumer. See Activate Scan to Computer? Officejet 6500A Plus http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Scanning-faxing-and-copying/Activate-Scan-to-Computer-Officejet-6500A-P... and you'll see how the shortuct to ScanToPCActivationApp.exe is loaded with command line options.

Since you're an HP person I wanted to mention this method is fine, it's workable, but in my opinion it's missing one very important thing that would help all of us who were happy to get it working and then were upset by having to re-activate every hour. Since we're trying to use a network resource (a printer/multi-function that's designed to "sleep") and in the case of a laptop, not even on the same network all the time, I suggest the best improvement would be a periodic keepalive at 60 seconds or so. That way as long as it had been activate in the first place, even if the laptop hibernates or the printer sleeps or the user shuts off the printer for the night... ScanToPCActivationApp.exe could try to re-activate on it's own and we, the users, wouldn't walk over to the printer, load a doc and than D'oh!! - go back to our PC to Activate.

Best,

Scott

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation