06-24-2011 11:46 AM
A partial solution to the very annoying "feature" (polite word for bug) of having to manually reactivate the scan to computer for 8500A OfficeJets after every boot is the following:
1. Start the "HP OfficeJet Pro 8500A A910_" program.
2. Double-click on "Scanner Actions" (be careful to not click on any of the underlined text).
3. Single-click on "Activate Scan to Computer" - this will highlight it without firing it off.
4. Right-click "Activate Scan to Computer" and select "Create shortcut".
5. Close the "HP OfficeJet 8500A A910_" program.
6. Find the "Activate Scan to Computer - Shortcut" shortcut on your desktop.
7. Rename it if you wish, e.g., "HPOJP8500A Activate Scan to Computer".
8. Cut it from your desktop and paste it to your Windows Start Menu's Startup folder.
Now each time your computer boots, the program will automatically run.
Unfortunately, this is only a partial solution because the program cannot be made to do its thing silently and go away.
It will remain up on the screen until you or someone clicks the "Close" button, though it does activate automatically.
I hope this helps everyone until HP can fix this issue so that Scan to Computer stays active like it does for the 8500 OfficeJets. Or better yet - get them both to work using the same widget that stays permanently active!
10-04-2011 02:27 PM
My enable scan to computer worked fine right out of the box. However, when I needed to re-install the HP software, the option "activate scan to computer" is GONE! In its place is a generic scan option that pulls up HP Scan. How can I get back the activate scan to computer option even with the inefficiency of having to reconnect several times a day???
11-08-2011 08:22 AM
HP, LISTEN UP! I can't believe HP hasn't figured this out after all these years. I keep getting burned by them.
If you want to scan a document from the scanner to your computer over the network, you must first "Activate Scan To Computer" on the computer. The problem is, it is not persistent, so if the computer sleeps or is restarted, you must do it again. This is obviously annoying, and too much to ask an average user to do. It should be SEEMLESS!!
If I could have gotten a Canon here, I would have. At home and other workplaces, as soon as I turn my computer on it pops up on the printer screen and I can scan right to it. It just works, exactly what users are always asking for. I use both a Canon MX860 and Canon MX870 with ZERO problems. Even non computer experts can scan to a computer from the printer, whithout having to go to the computer first. It greatly cripples the usefulness of a Scan to Computer option if you have to go back to the computer first, which may be far away.
Please fix this soon HP, or I will have to replace this printer with a Canon, and you then not get my future ink cartidge purchases. I have no problems with throwing this brand new printer in the garbage.
11-08-2011 11:56 AM
Re: Activate Scan to Computer
When I click on the HP Officejet Pro 8500A program I just get an install box! No scanner options at all.
whe we first installed the printer everything worked just fine! Has there been a fix by HP? Would appreciate some help.
12-27-2011 09:12 PM
I have same problem with 8500 and win 7. When I tried to activate I get a message that states the printer control panel does not see computer and to restart PRINTER. Which I did but keep getting same message
12-27-2011 09:43 PM
I ended up uninstalling EVERYTHING related to HP, including OCR software and other HP add-ins. When all was uninstalled, I started the process over with original discs and everything is working fine now
01-08-2012 03:45 PM
I don't understand ... this feature was working great with previous version of 8500 Pro. Please HP, we would all appreciate that this BUG is corrected as soon as possible. It would be nice if an employee of HP responds...
- Testing Your HP Fax Machine with the HP Fax Test Service
- A Communication or Connection Error Displays When Scanning
- Scan Using Full Feature HP Software (Windows 10)
- HP Photosmart 7510, 7515, ENVY 110, 114 Printers - Restoring eFax Service
- HP All-in-One Products - A 'Scanner Failure' Message Displays on the All-in-One Control Panel and You Cannot Scan, Copy, or Fax