Question

Honor Student
kparw
Message 1 of 6 (724 Views)

HP Officejet Pro 8600 (N911g) Fax to Email PDF is in Landscape Format instead of Portrait

I purchased an 8600 yesterday and noticed that the PDF file sent by fax to email is the wrong size. As a result the content appears to be in landscape mode but squished when viewed in Adobe Reader. Adobe Reader shows the page size as 24.00 x 14.64 inches!!

Using the same source fax machine I can send the same page to eFax and that PDF looks fine and shows as the correct ~8.5 x 11 in. size in Adobe Reader.

I have been reading the numerous posts on this (going back to early 2012) but have not seen a proper solution. The workarounds don't work either. Turning on/off Auto Reduction makes no difference. Changing to TIFF format is not an option.

What's going on here and why is HP not dealing with this problem?

Provost
ShlomiL
Message 2 of 6 (721 Views)

Re: HP Officejet Pro 8600 (N911g) Fax to Email PDF is in Landscape Format instead of Portrait

Hi,

Try Disabling the Automatic Reduction feature and check if that may help:

To set automatic reduction from the printer control panel
1. Touch the right arrow  and then select Setup.
2. Touch Fax Setup and then select Advanced Fax Setup.
3. Touch Automatic Reduction and then select Off.

Now check for any change.

If the same persist, ensure your firmware is up to date and check for any change:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c02919168&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=4323648&tmp...

Shlomi

Say thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post.
If my post resolved your problem, please mark it as as Accepted Solution :smileyhappy:
Honor Student
kparw
Message 3 of 6 (719 Views)

Re: HP Officejet Pro 8600 (N911g) Fax to Email PDF is in Landscape Format instead of Portrait

As I said in my original post, toggling Auto reduction makes no difference.

This is a brand new printer and I did get the latest firmware when I set it up.

Honor Student
kparw
Message 4 of 6 (668 Views)

Wow, one week and only one response!

Does HP not know how to fix this or doesn't care?

Seems like the other owners who had this problem have returned their printers.

Again,
- running latest firmware
- Auto reduction is off
- Adobe Reader shows the PDF page size as 24.00 x 14.64 inches
- Same page sent by the same source fax machine to eFax is sized correctly.

Retired
OrnahP
Message 5 of 6 (663 Views)

[ Edited ]

kparw wrote:

Wow, one week and only one response!

Does HP not know how to fix this or doesn't care?

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forums. Just a reminder that this is a peer-to-peer community of HP customers, and not a venue to contact HP directly. Most of the users here are consumers like yourself who are offering solutions because they like to help others, and any HP employees you see are here on their own capacity and not representing the company.

If you have additional or direct feedback for HP about their products or services, or questions about repair, you can use the link below for contact information.

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-contact-us.html

If you have other questions and concerns about using the forum, please feel free to send me a private message.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OrnahP
HP Support Forums Moderator

:smileyhappy: Clicking the "Kudos Star" to the left is a great way to say thanks!
:smileyhappy: When your problem has been solved, accept the solution by clicking "Accept as Solution" to help other members in the future!
Rules of Participation

Honor Student
kparw
Message 6 of 6 (628 Views)

I stand by my comments that HP has no clue. Perhaps the moderator will agree after reading the following.

I have been in touch with the "in warranty" tech support, trying to explain to them that the problem is in the PDF file generation within the printer. An 8.5 x 11 inch page is unevenly stretched to 24.00 x 14.64 inches.

- The 8.5in. side is stretched 2.82 times to become 24in.
- The 11in. side is stretched 1.33 times to become 14.64in.

Here are their ridiculous solutions in the order received.

1. Set up Digital Fax to Email
    - Was already set up, that's why I'm having the problem.
2. Install the Printer Firmware
    - Am running the latest
3. Open the PDF file in “tiff” format and check the functionality.
    - How does one do this?? Opening the PDF in an image viewer gives the same results.
4. Use another email account.
    - Really??
5. Complete uninstallation/reinstallation of the printer software from the computer.
    - Sorry but I don't see how uninstalling the software on the computer has anything to do with this problem. The computer is not even part of the problem. I see the same result opening the PDF on my phone.
6. Uninstall printer firmware

- But they provided instructions to uninstall the driver from the computer.
7. Uninstall the PDF file from the computer and try to reinstall from various websites
    - huh?
8. Uninstall Adobe Reader from the computer and reinstall
    - I sent the tech support guy the PDF of the fax and asked him to try this himself and contact me if it fixed the problem.
9. Use any other document except PDF file
    - Not an option.
10. Manually rotate the document in Adobe Reader
    - And how does this help if the width and height are unevenly stretched?

11. Escalating problem to Advanced Support Group.

- Waiting to hear from them.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation