Question

Honor Student
Gary305
Message 1 of 9 (7,243 Views)

HP Officejet Pro 8600 Plus - Receiving Fax

[ Edited ]

Is HP Officejet Pro 8600 Plus fax compatible with an answering machine?

Does Officejet Pro 8600 recognize incoming voice message so that it will stop sending fax handshake signal?

I am having problem connecting Panasonic answering machine to Officejet Pro.  If there is an incoming fax the answering machine will pick up first and then after two rings it will stop but Officejet does not pick up the fax after that.  The screen says "phone line in use".  Auto answer is set to On.  I have set Officejet to ring 2, 4 and 6 but they are all the same, it does not work.  I thought the Officejet is defective so I turned it in and exchanged it with a new one.  The new one doesn't work either. 

I have been using Brothers Intellifax fax with the same answering machine and the same set up.  That worked like a charm.  I am trying to do the same with Officejet Pro.  Can anybody help?

Thank you

Honor Student
JeffScott
Message 2 of 9 (7,144 Views)

Re: HP Officejet Pro 8600 Plus - Receiving Fax

I am haveing the same issue. Its a deal breaker for me , hoping to get a response

Honor Student
JeffScott
Message 3 of 9 (7,116 Views)

ok I found the problem, you MUST use the telephone cord that came with the printer from the phone jack to the printer. It wasn't long enough for me so I just used an inline coupler and it works like its supposed to now.

Honor Student
Gary305
Message 4 of 9 (7,100 Views)

Our office feed for fax comes through network Cat 5 cable.  I used splitter to isolate the fax line and connected it to the Printer with the cable provided by HP but still it will not pick up the fax.  The answering machine picks an icoming fax and then stops but the Printer will show "Line in Use" and will not pick up the fax.  I am thinking that my answering machine (Panasonic Digital Voice Mail System) may be incompatible with the Printer.

Do you know how to turn off printing of reports with every fax sent?

Thank you,

Gary

Honor Student
JeffScott
Message 5 of 9 (7,088 Views)

There are several options for reports in the setup menu. Setup>Fax Setup>Fax reports

Student
OmniAlive
Message 6 of 9 (4,499 Views)

Has anyone figured out the solution to this problem?:

The answering machine picks an icoming fax and then stops but the Printer will show "Line in Use" and will not pick up the fax.

is it that I truly have to use the phone cable that comes with the fax?

AtDhVaAnNkCsE!

Regents Professor
Rudy1906
Message 7 of 9 (4,450 Views)

Sorry that you all are having a problem with receiving faxes. 

Makes sure all of the connection is plugged in correctly. 

1. On the back of the printer, LINE 1 will go into the wall jack.

2. LINE 2 on the printer will go directly into the ANSWERING MACHINE. 

3. A phone cord will go from the answering to the telephone. 

Go to your fax settings on the printer. 

1. Turn your ECM (Error Correction Mode)-OFF

2. Turn your Fax Speed to SLOW.

3. Go to RINGS TO ANSWER, set your printer to (2 more rings than the ANSWERING MACHINE). 

Let me know if this works. 

**Click the KUDOS star on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Please mark a reply "ACCEPTED AS SOLUTION" if it solved your problem, so others can find it.
Student
Spelt
Message 8 of 9 (3,385 Views)

I've been having a problem with the machine saying "line in use" all the time.  So if I try to send a fax, it thinks it's sending it to itself.  I've been in touch with HP support and they escalated it to engineering to have the machine replaced.  I came across this forum and found your note, Rudy 1906.  

The machine is hooked up properly, using the cord that came with it.

I changed the ECM to off and the fax speed to slow and it stopped saying "line in use" (for the first time!!).  I tried sending a fax, and it went through.  Then it said "line in use" again.  Also, I couldn't send a color fax without the ECM turned on.

So, I have mixed results on whether this works or not.

Master's Graduate
Simple1234
Message 9 of 9 (2,979 Views)

the number of ring is for it to wait, with an answering machine, you probably want set it to 6 so that the answering machine has a chance to first. Make sure your answering machine doesn't cut off the line when it picks up, best hang the answering machine off the 8600. Or change how they are connected.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation