Question

Top Student
paulhoffer
Message 1 of 36 (6,970 Views)
Accepted Solution

HP Officejet Pro 8600 Plus received (via Fax to Email) faxes are landscape but should be portrait.

Does anyone know how to change the settings to the HP Officejet Pro 8600 so that the faxes received come in with the orientation they were sent with?  I have the Fax to Email function setup and when the PDFs get to my inbox, the documents should be Portrait orientated, but they are stretched horizontally, squeezed vertical and the page orientation of the PDF is Landscape.  The original Faxes were sent as Portrait. 

This makes the faxes almost unreadable.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Top Student
paulhoffer
Message 2 of 36 (6,954 Views)

HP Officejet Pro 8600 Plus received (via Fax to Email) faxes are landscape but should be portrait

Does HP Support read these support requests or is this just a user forum? 

I've done further research on this problem and it appears that this has been a reported known problem with this printer since at least November 2011.

Further info on this problem.  8.5 X 11 sheets are faxed in with Portrait orientation.  When the printer receives them, it changes the orientation to Landscape with 24" X 14.6" dimensions (is that even a real paper size).

In the process of doing this, the text is stretched horizontally and then compressed vertically.

The result is very wide and short test. 

If this forum is just a user forum, is there a way to put in a support request to HP for their support of this newly purchased printer.

If I cannot get an answer VERY soon, I will need to return these two printers to Office Max. 

Receiving these faxes in this manner is unacceptable.

Extremely frustrated.

Intern
PenSphere
Message 3 of 36 (6,930 Views)

Re: HP Officejet Pro 8600 Plus received (via Fax to Email) faxes are landscape but should be portrai

Hello Paul,

If you're UK based, you can try the online HP Technical Support route that I used recently (with success), here -

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/siteHome?cc=uk&lc=en

But if you are not UK based, you can almost certainly locate your region's equivalent support "channel" by typing (as you will guess!) the words "technical support" into the little "Search HP's web site" box at the top of any of the "main" HP web site pages.

(I admit that may seem a bloomin' obvious thing to do! But these "help and support" resources can change over time, so it's a good thing anyway to do a fresh "search" if a few weeks or months have elapsed since you last "found" such a link.)

Here's the current US-based page with links to support options for users and their specific queries -

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/contact.html?jumpid=hpr_r1002_usen

> Does HP Support read these support requests or is this just a user forum?

You're right that it is "only" a user forum - although (as far as I can tell) some HP employees do visit here and do sometimes respond to issues raised here.  But (I'm sure) any such responses are informal and unofficial - though they're usually spot-on, and always well-intended.

Colin P.

--
Help calm this edgy world - Be quick to smile. Be slow to take offence.
Top Student
paulhoffer
Message 4 of 36 (6,916 Views)

Re: HP Officejet Pro 8600 Plus received (via Fax to Email) faxes are landscape but should be portrai

Thanks Colin,

I actually had not searched for technical support and will do that.  I had googled it, but not searched on the HP websites.  Thank you also for the link, I will give that a try.

regards,

Paul

Top Student
DrTerasaka
Message 5 of 36 (6,730 Views)

Paul, did you ever get an answer to this?  I posted the same question here more recently in this string:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printer-All-in-One-Install-Setup/HP-OfficeJet-8600-Pro-Incoming-Faxes-N...

His answers aren't satisfactory.  Did you ever get this one figured out, because my faxes are doing the same thing.

Provost
pcwizard
Message 6 of 36 (6,707 Views)

Hi

Fax to PC is designed to save the incoming faxes as .tiff file format. You can review this information on Page 72 of the Users Guide at the link below.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c03026243.pdf

I am an HP employee.

Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
Top Student
paulhoffer
Message 7 of 36 (6,694 Views)

The solution we derived is to have the faxes come in in Tiff format.  We too wanted to view them as PDF because it is a pain to view them them with windows picture viewer.  I don't know if this is an option for your needs or not, but we setup Adobe Acrobat as the default program for .Tif files (Note this does not work with Adobe Reader, only with the paid Adobe acrobat program.) 

I agree with you that the answers being given are unsatisfactory.  I have wasted a lot of time and energy getting this machine to function as advertised.  They clearly state that this product's Fax to email process will created PDFs and while it technically does, they are not readable or usable so as a PDF, it is basically useless.

As far as I know, the only solution is to receive them as Tiff files.

Top Student
DrTerasaka
Message 8 of 36 (6,689 Views)

Thanks.  Yes, that's the answer I was receiving.  As this is not satisfactory to our needs, we are returning the unit.

Top Student
paulhoffer
Message 9 of 36 (6,689 Views)

@pcwizard.  I am not sure what DrTerasaka is trying to do with his OfficeJet Pro 8600 or whether or not he has the Plus version (but from his question I believe it is the Plus version).  I believe your reference here is irrelevant and incorrect.  Please see page 56 of the manual you listed.  I am not attempting to use the Fax to PC functions of the printer, but rather am trying to use the Fax to Email function (part of the HP Digital Solutions).

It clearly states "Received faxes are saved as TIFF (Tagged Image File Format) or PDF files."

Since when the OJ Pro 8600 Plus receive faxes as PDF files they are stretched and squished, it renders that advertised feature as unusable. 

Had it been advertised as TIFF only, I would not have purchased these printers because that would not have fit my needs.

It is also unacceptable that the only solution offered by HP is to use the TIFF format (especially when HP Advertises this to work as PDF.) 

I also find it unacceptable when you supply an answer to problem that does not relate to the problem at hand.

The proper solution here is for HP to either have a firmware update issued to resolves this issue or for HP Sales to stop misleading consumers into buying something that does not work as advertised and remove reference that PDF files are an option.

Top Student
DrTerasaka
Message 10 of 36 (6,681 Views)

I am in complete agreement with Paul on this.  HP is engaging in an aggressive advertising and sales pitch on this machine right now, with the HP OfficeJet 8600 Plus selling for $229.00 at HP's website, at Staples, Best Buy, just about every electronics retailer.  This one function was its golden selling point, and to have it not function without compromise is not reasonable.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation