HP Officejet Pro 8600 Plus received (via Fax to Email) faxes are landscape but should be portrait. (6808 Views)
Top Student
Chorchie
Message 11 of 36 (2,107 Views)

Re: HP Officejet Pro 8600 Plus received (via Fax to Email) faxes are landscape but should be portrai

Actually, I just found out that this is still incorrect! I have the same issue with the PDF being squished but the TIFF comes through fine. I was playing around and realized that the TIFF only looks correct because it is being viewed with Pixel Aspect Correction. If you take a TIFF that you received from the OJ 8600 and open it in Photoshop, go to  VIEW and uncheck PIXEL ASPECT RATIO CORRECTION, you will see the TIFF will look just like the PDF does!!

So it is not that the OJ 8600 sends the TIFF correctly, but it is that the computer you use to view the TIFF corrects it!

Something else I found interesting...faxes I receive from a physical fax machine come out screwed up. I received a PDF of a fax I sent myself digitally (using FAXZERO.COM) and it came out looking correct!!

The problem is that the 8600 mis-interperets the size of a page that is sent as a regular paper fax. It seems to identify a digitally sent fax just fine. They need to fix this!!!

-David 

Honor Student
DenizIrde
Message 12 of 36 (1,970 Views)

Re: HP Officejet Pro 8600 Plus received (via Fax to Email) faxes are landscape but should be portrai

[ Edited ]

Just disable the Automatic Reduction feature from the Advanced Fax Settings.

Then PDFs will be normal.

My device is OfficeJet Pro 8600 Plus (N911g).

Top Student
Chorchie
Message 13 of 36 (1,955 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hey Denizlrde,

I have the OfficeJet Pro 8600 Plus (N911g) as well, but I don't see an Auto Cut feature in the Advanced Fax Settings. I do see Automatic Reduction - is that what you are talking about? Please see the red arrow on my screenshot below. Thanks!!

Honor Student
DenizIrde
Message 14 of 36 (1,948 Views)

Exactly. We are using our device in another language. Sorry for my misleading translation. "Automatic Reduction" is the feature that should be remained as disabled.

I am editing my previous post thanks for the correction.

Honor Student
Bfschroe
Message 15 of 36 (1,899 Views)

Tried all of the suggestions including turning off auto-reduction, switching to Tiff (as a test--still would be unacceptable). I did confirm that for some reason electronic faxes (like the test from HP support) work fine but analog fax machines lead to the rotate/distorted images. Any other suggestions? Is this related to a specific firmware (I have latest): HP has "never heard of this" and hasn't really offered any suggestions to fix. Thanks brice
Top Student
Chorchie
Message 16 of 36 (1,864 Views)

OK, I confirmed yesterday that turning off auto-reduction and selecting PDF DOES solve that issue. The fax I received was the correct page size.

The only other issue I am having, and I hope someone can help, is that the time stamp on the digital fax email is set to the UTC timezone. I even tried checking the box that supposedly sets the timezone of the printer to the same one the computer is set to, but it doesn't change anything. The only thing that fixes the issue is to set the time of the printer to the "offset" so that the email timestamp is correct, but then the time on the printer is way off.

Anyone find a solution to that?

Thanks,
David

Top Student
bdincanada
Message 17 of 36 (1,828 Views)

Hi David -

I have a new Officejet Pro 8600 Plus that I bought a few days ago specifically for the Digital Fax fax to email feature.

I've been working on the same problem (some faxes appearing in email PDF attachments as landscape rather than portrait). I've just tried (again) setting the "Automatic Reduction" option off and verifying that the option for a PDF email attachment is selected. The fax that is sent in email PDF attachment is still incorrect.

I think that this problem is better described in an earlier post here as the image in the PDF file having an incorrect aspect ratio.

While working with the HP telephone support folks today we've determined that the problem happens consistently when the incoming fax comes from my "real" fax machine. In my case this is a Brother MFC-8460N. The problem consistently does not happen when the fax is sent by the HP support agent using his FAXAGENT software.

Another earlier post mentions that faxes sent from computers appear in emailed PDF files correctly and from real fax machines don't. This is what I'm seeing.

HP has committed to call back tomorrow morning to followup - I take that to mean that we will continue to investigate and try solution options. I'll post on the result of that.

David - are you sure about the source of the faxes that you're getting. Is it possible that the fax that you've received with the correct aspect ratio have been sent by a computer and not by a real fax.

I don't know yet why this would make a difference but this seems the most promising theory at the moment.

About the time stamp on email messages sent by the 8600.... There is a time stamp in the header sent by the printer to your ISP. It contains the correct local time as set in your printer but has an appended time zone indicator of -0000. This says that the message time is GMT. If your email tool uses the message "sent" time for the time stamp then this will show up with a time offset from GMT depending in your time zone. I'm in Eastern Standard so time stamps will be 5 hours off.

This shows up in different ways depending on your own email tools. My old Eudora mail application uses "sent" times for time stamps and gets this information from the header sent by the 8600. The email sent by the printer has a timestamp that's 5 hours earlier than when the message was sent. My Outlook mail application uses received times and the message appears to be OK.

The printer has no capability to set the timezone.

I've decided that this is an annoyance but not too serious to live with. The aspect ratio in the emailed PDF fuile will have to be fixed or the unit's going back.

By the way, the HP support folks that have worked on this have been excellent (if you allow for no solution yet).

Top Student
Chorchie
Message 18 of 36 (1,813 Views)

Yes, I noticed that as well...digital faxes tended to come in correctly, where standard paper faxes from a "real" fax machine came in skewed. I re-tested from both after making the change in settings, and it seems to work correctly. Would you want to send me a test from your "real" fax machine since you have determined that it causes the problem consistantly? If you can fax to me, send me a PM and I can give you my fax number. That would be a good way to see if the menu selection works on mine.

What you said about the timestamp does make sense. I will have to talk with my email provider to see if there is any way to fix that on the receiving end. Sort of strange that the machine doesn't allow a timezone change. The menu does feel a little "not ready for primetime."

Thank you for your info...it would be very interesting to see if the menu change works for some but not all. Have a great day!

-David

Top Student
bdincanada
Message 19 of 36 (1,802 Views)

*** see my post above - this is a continuation ....

I've been looking at the PDF files produced by the 8600 for email attachments. They all have wierd page sizes. The PDF files that display incorrectly have a page size of 24.00" x 14.92". The files that display correctly have page sizes of 24" x 30.56". A normal PFD has a page size close to 8.5" x 11.0". You can see the page size by displayng the file properties.

I've looked into the content of the PDF files - the page size information is encoded there  (as points - 1" = 72 points).

This doesn't explain why one displays correctly and one not but shows a problem in the page size information contained in both files.

Brian D

Honor Student
Bfschroe
Message 20 of 36 (1,787 Views)

Interesting discussion. FYI I didn't have much time left to return my printer and did not get the feeling this would be resolved so I returned it and bought the brother 4510 which looks like a nice unit with similar functions.  Seemed to working well until I tested it with a fax from the office hp laserjet and much to my disappointment it, too, rotated the portrait fax to landscape. I turned off auto reduction on the brother and same result. So this may not be a problem with the 8600 after all but something isnt right.  Hope that helps the troubleshooting. I can send test fax to you guys if you like.

Bruce

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation