Question

Honor Student
p7m8jg
Message 1 of 6 (768 Views)

HP Officejet Pro 8600 Scanner failure

I love the HP Officejet Pro 8600 all-in-one.  Had it for a few years.

Woke up two days ago and turned it on - immediate message "Scanner failure

Scanner makes a loud "clunk" when I turn it on, immediately followed by that message.

All attempts at resets, etc have failed. Checked all the cartridges for leakage, reset the printhead carriage several times; have taken a flashlight to looking inside without result; removed the duplexer on the rear & cleaned that out, no help.

Is the quality of HP All-in-ones going down?  I still have my old PSC 2410 Photosmart working just fine in the den after probably ten years!  This new 8600 is broken within just a few years. 

So, question is:  Do I have a big HP paperweight in my living room attached to the home network? Or is there a way to get it fixed?

Distinguished Professor
Rich1
Message 2 of 6 (727 Views)

Re: HP Officejet Pro 8600 Scanner failure

Hi p7m8jg,

It sounds like you have been pretty thorough in your troubleshooting.  When you did the reset, did you do it in the same order as described in the following link that addresses the Scanner Failure error message.  Click Here  You might also try using a different wall outlet with a direct connection (without using a surge protector, power strip or battery back up).

If that doesn't help, we could try doing a Semi Full Reset.  If successful, this would reset the printer to factory defaults and clear the memory.  If the printer was on a wireless network, it would be taken off and would need to be reconnected.  If you want to give this a try, I can send the steps in a private message to your HP Forums in-box.  I would need you to agree not to publish the steps.  Let me know what you decide.

Also, remember a click on the Kudos star to the left is a quick "Thanks" for a helpful post.

Please select the "Accept as Solution" button on the post that best answers your question.

I appreciate your input ! ___________________________________ _____

Thank You,
Rich
Expert
Honor Student
p7m8jg
Message 3 of 6 (723 Views)

Thanks for the reply.

I did try another outlet - I pulled it from its usual place and put it on a TV tray so I could get a good look at the insides both front and back.  At that time it was on a different electrical plug.

Would you pls send me the reset information by personal message.  I agree that by doing this I assume all responsibility for anything that happens by using it.

Thanks.
John 

Distinguished Professor
Rich1
Message 4 of 6 (713 Views)

Hi John,

I have sent the message to your HP Forums in-box.  Let me know how it goes.

Good Luck !

Also, remember a click on the Kudos star to the left is a quick "Thanks" for a helpful post.

Please select the "Accept as Solution" button on the post that best answers your question.

Thank You,
Rich
Expert
Honor Student
p7m8jg
Message 5 of 6 (707 Views)

Thanks for the reset process.  I got it to reset but it still says Scanner Failure.  Guess I need to try and get it repaired or maybe find a refurbished one.

I do appreciate the effort, though. Thanks Rich.

Distinguished Professor
Rich1
Message 6 of 6 (704 Views)

You're welcome and I wish that would have worked for you.  You might check with HP Support about upgrade options that may be available for your printer.  If you do, be sure and ask the agent about the $1.00 extended warranty for upgrades.  If you purchase the upgrade and the warranty, the printer would be covered under warranty for 2 years from the date of purchase.  Contact HP Worldwide 

Thank You,
Rich
Expert
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation