Question

Honor Student
misterioso
Message 1 of 7 (1,280 Views)

HP Officejet Pro 8600 - Sending faxes is too slow

[ Edited ]

I own a 2 day old HP Officejet Pro 8600.  I'm very pleased with it thus far, but I am seeing problems with the send fax transmission speed.  It's much too slow. 

According to the specifications, the rated fax speed is 4 seconds per page.  What I seeing from my OJP8600 is a single page is taking about about 2 minutes to transmit.  The device scans 2-3 inches of each page at a time, then stops to transmit, then scans another 2-3 inches, then transmits, and on and on until the page is completed.  It took nearly 30 minutes to fax a 17 page job. 

The HP fax test shows everything passes.  The line condition is fine.    When I connect a 10 year old fax only device made by Brother to the same phone line outlet, it sends the same 17 page report in 15 minutes.  

I need to speed up the send fax process.  I've tried disabling ECM with no change in the slow speeds.  I've run all 3 baud rates 33.6, 14.4, 9.6; they all process the outbound fax at the same slow speed. 

I've also tried using Scan and Fax so I can free up the ADF and not tie up the printer while a fax job is being transmitted.  However, that solution is not available to me.  Supposedly, my OJP8600 should be able to retain 100 pages in memory, but after 9 pages, I get a memory error and the entire fax job is aborted. 

Perhaps the 100 page memory rating is for only incoming fax storage?  I can't find anything in the manual that delineates what the memory is used for. 

Does this sound like a defective AOI printer?  Or do I instead have some type of configuration issue?    Thanks in advance for any help received. 

Regents Professor
sabretooth04
Message 2 of 7 (1,270 Views)

Re: HP Officejet Pro 8600 - Sending faxes is too slow

And how fast can the fax on the other end receive???  Most likey this is the issue.  Lot's of old faxes out there that still have small buffers.

Say thanks by clicking the Kudos Thumbs Up to the right in the post.
If my post resolved your problem, please mark it as an Accepted Solution ...
I worked for HP but now I'm retired!
Honor Student
misterioso
Message 3 of 7 (1,255 Views)

1 page per minute performance is what we used to see 20 years ago when the world was populated with 2400 baud modems.  We're talking year 2013.

I've faxed to HP's Test Fax number:  1-888-hpfaxme (1-888-473-2963).  It was slow.  I would assume that because it's a designated fax location for live testing of HP fax printer performance, it should be equipped with a sizeable buffer.  

I've also faxed to my web based online fax account which converts faxs into emails.  The storage capacity for that account is virtually unlimited from a user/consumer standpoint.  It was also slow.  

So now that the buffer answer has been eliminated, is there a better solution?  

Student
Don8600
Message 4 of 7 (1,106 Views)

I was having the same problem.  The outgoing fax speed seemed to get slower and slower.  Once it took about 30 mins for a 10 page fax.  I tried changing settings to no avail until I restored defaults.  Ever since then it seems to be behaving (an acceptable 2 pages per minute.)  Try it.  Go to Setup > Fax Setup > Advanced Fax Setup > Restore Defaults.  Let me know if this works for you or if you've found another solution.

Honor Student
Tonisings
Message 5 of 7 (559 Views)

Have you solved this problem? I am having the same issue with my new 8600.
Student
youWIIIN
Message 6 of 7 (463 Views)

I reduced the resolution to standard instead of fine and increased the speed to the fastest and it made a big difference. Went from about 5 or 6 minutes for 4 pages to about 30 seconds.

Honor Student
Lnorwilson
Message 7 of 7 (171 Views)

Does that wipe out all your stored fax numbers?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation